One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mobilis in mobili
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read Roland Neveu's photo book, "fall of Phom Penh", and found a section on operation Eagle pull. There's a picture of embassy officials with M16s, combat helmets and M1955 body armor while still wearing their work clothes (bell-bottoms and all). I have to be honest, reading that book made me feel like I was actually trapped inside Khmer Rouge held Phnom Penh. It's a good book.

So, I decided to bash one my self. despite Ihaving only the earlier version of the M1955, without the integrated pouches, and the lack of proper 70's style bell-bottom pants. The clothes and kit are mostly DML, the M17 gas mask bag is old-school BBI, the body is Sideshow toys.

Comments and ideas would be great. thanx.

Attachments

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
I have seen other pics of this too. And the evacuation in Saigon as well. Great subject, and good bash. Did you notice the 30 rd mag in the M16 in the 4th photo? Still not common even then.

I was just a wee pup when this happened.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Very cool. Looks like some embassy personal had "flairs", a less extreme form of bell bottoms. As some old dogs in the compound probably were not fashion whores, the regular loose slacks should serve just fine. Your guy looks like he's pretty salty, might be one of the station staff.

A few of those guys in the photos might have been liason personnel or even Marine guards. Maybe dressed in mufti, in case they need to E&E.

·
1:6 puppy
985 Posts
the marines on the Mayaguez rescue mission had ERDL bdu's and m-16s with the highly prized(and rare) 30 rd mags.i have also seen some troops at the embassy were airmen.marine,army and airforce helos were involved,so no wonder you would have seen many different troopers on scene.i also remember seeing embassy personel using berreta smgs during the tet offensive.the evacuation of saigon and pnom phen was a very scary time.i still remember watching TV footage of all those helos going over the sides of ships as a child,thinking..'um..this doesnt look right'.within 6 months we had about 40,000 new neighbors at camp pendleton.

·
Mobilis in mobili
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for the comments and very helpful info.

One of my favorite subjects is actually the Cambodian conflict. I wasn't even born at that time and yet when I was a small, my family would teach me words and things like Vietcong, Khmer merah (red Khmer), Kennedy, Vietnam. hehe.

Anyways,in the book, I also found pictures of Khmer rouge soldiers using captured M16s with the 30 round mag. one pic shows a KR soldier with three 30 round mags tied together. interesting for me. heh.

Thank you all for the comments and info.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts