One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Re: Tutorial: How to compose a proper thread title & post

Proper spelling and grammar. The first, I thank the spell checker in these infernal computer machines! Grammar? Failed it in elementary school! It has taken 63 years for me to write something that people can understand. English is one of the hardest languages to learn. Believe me, I was born here (Texas) and at times I still have problems with my English and Spanish.
When we see what is written from a collector of a different country, we can see where they are writing from. (Where does 99.9% of our collections come from anyway?).
I say give them a pass. They are fellow collectors. We know what they are trying to say.If not, and you are interested, ask them.
Maybe the guidelines should say something like "To the best of your ability, make some effort to use proper spelling, grammar, & punctuation to communicate properly" and maybe they should say "The "Preview Post" button is there for a reason, use it."

I think everyone totally understands with respect to posters for whom English isn't a first language and they get a complete pass from me. English wasn't my first language either. The things that highwayman57 is targeting aren't language skills, they're generally just carelessness, like not bothering to use capitals or punctuation. So it's more of an effort / manners issue. You can use spellcheck but it won't catch "there" and "it's" vs "their" and "its," so fix those by hand. Don't let Autocorrect on a phone or tablet, or imperfect Voice-Dictation, mess up your post without checking before you hit Send. That sort of thing.

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)

Maybe the guidelines should say something like "To the best of your ability, make some effort to use proper spelling, grammar, & punctuation to communicate properly" and maybe they should say "The "Preview Post" button is there for a reason, use it."

I think everyone totally understands with respect to posters for whom English isn't a first language and they get a complete pass from me. English wasn't my first language either. The things that highwayman57 is targeting aren't language skills, they're generally just carelessness, like not bothering to use capitals or punctuation. So it's more of an effort / manners issue. You can use spellcheck but it won't catch "there" and "it's" vs "their" and "its," so fix those by hand. Don't let Autocorrect on a phone or tablet, or imperfect Voice-Dictation, mess up your post without checking before you hit Send. That sort of thing.
You're quite correct MAM; when I see a post by one of our members for whom English is a second language, I tend to disregard any errors that may have been made. That said, I feel it will be easier for them if those of us who are native English speakers try our best to use proper spelling, grammar, & punctuation in our own posts. Let me explain; most of them have probably taken structured classes in English where the strict foundations of the language were taught; they tend to better understand English if it is used properly, which in many cases here at OSW it isn't. Also, if the ESL speaker is using a translation app like Google Translate, our posts will tend to be more accurately translated, instead of ending up as a string of gibberish in their native tongue.

As far as native English speakers go, many of us have gotten lazy or forgetful when it comes to the rules of our own language. Things like using the word "loose" when you mean "lose", or adding apostrophes where they're incorrect (DVD's is not the plural of DVD, DVDs is), can be easily remedied with just a little bit of work.

Perhaps there are those who do not wish to make the effort; that's their choice entirely.

I'm not here to belittle anyone, I'm just trying to suggest some changes that will help improve the OSW experience for everyone.

David

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts

English can be difficult to learn.....for instance, the word "read" can be pronounced reed, or red, so care must be taken when used in written form....

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)

Proper spelling and grammar. The first, I thank the spell checker in these infernal computer machines! Grammar? Failed it in elementary school! It has taken 63 years for me to write something that people can understand. English is one of the hardest languages to learn. Believe me, I was born here (Texas) and at times I still have problems with my English and Spanish.
When we see what is written from a collector of a different country, we can see where they are writing from. (Where does 99.9% of our collections come from anyway?).
I say give them a pass. They are fellow collectors. We know what they are trying to say.If not, and you are interested, ask them.
Vince, I fully understand your concerns. I've made a slight change to the original post:
Please attempt (to the best of your ability to do so) to use proper spelling, grammar, & punctuation to communicate properly.
As far as the ESL-speaking members of OSW are concerned, I tend to give them a pass anyway. I know that learning a second language can be difficult (I studied both German & Russian in high school), and that sometimes errors will be made when posting in a different tongue. That said, I still believe that those of us who are native English speakers should put forth a little more effort when we try to post.

I'm not the grammar police, and I have no intention of picking apart posts to expose flaws in spelling, punctuation, etc.; I just want things to go a little easier around here for all of us. Fair enough?

David

·
Registered
253 Posts

I just want to add a little thing: How to compose a proper sentence.

Please put a capital letter to start a sentence. Did school teach us that?

...because this is so hard to read. and if you don't put capital letter at beginning, it's hard to understand. because you didn't put capital letter. and when you don't put capital letter it means you don't know how to write. it's only an exemple. do you get my point? is it clear how? is it clear to read? ok thank you very much. see you soon.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts

I'm not the grammar police, and I have no intention of picking apart posts to expose flaws in spelling, punctuation, etc.; I just want things to go a little easier around here for all of us. Fair enough?

David
David, one of the compliments I can pay your Guidelines is to say that they are drafted completely in the same reasonable, intelligent, respectful and nonconfrontational style that you recommend for all posts generally.

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

David, one of the compliments I can pay your Guidelines is to say that they are drafted completely in the same reasonable, intelligent, respectful and nonconfrontational style that you recommend for all posts generally.
Thank you very much, MAM; I consider that high praise indeed!

David

·
Registered
45 Posts

well i can't spell very good. that is one of the reasons i don't post any thing or coment on others posts

·
God Bless America
1,528 Posts

--

SO . . .

Abbreviations such as . . . (for example)

AFAIK | As far as I know
IMHO | In my humble opinion
POS | Piece of $%^&
WTF! | What the <CENSORED>!
IDK | I don't know

Would be better served and utilized if completely written out?

I'm just asking.
I think those would be called acronyms, not abbreviations.
I'm talking about the use of "ppl" for "people", "L8r" for "later", etc, etc.
They are unnecessary for this forum, where there is space and time to spell it out.

.......... English is one of the hardest languages to learn. Believe me, I was born here (Texas) and at times I still have problems with my English and Spanish.
I say give them a pass. They are fellow collectors. We know what they are trying to say. If not, and you are interested, ask them.
I, too, always let it slide when someone is posting from outside the USA.
The trouble is, I see BETTER posts from people overseas than some posters from here! I'll see a horribly written post and think, "Wow, I wonder where they are from?", look at "Location", and they are from one of the lower 48.

well i can't spell very good. that is one of the reasons i don't post any thing or coment on others posts
Can you use capital letters?

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)

Just a brief note: I've made a few small changes to the original post, which in no way alter the overall intent, but soften the tone a bit in some areas. I think it's about as good as I can write it on my own, but if there are any suggestions, please do not hesitate to post them.

Also, several people have commented that they believe that this should be made a "Please Read" thread at the top of the main page; how many of you concur with that assessment? We've already had one admin state that he liked the post, but perhaps more opinions are needed to make it a top-of-the-page "Please Read" thread.

Thanks,
David

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,823 Posts

Also, several people have commented that they believe that this should be made a "Please Read" thread at the top of the main page; how many of you concur with that assessment? We've already had one admin state that he liked the post, but perhaps more opinions are needed to make it a top-of-the-page "Please Read" thread.

Thanks,
David
--

:agree

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

Does anyone else have an opinion... good, bad, or indifferent?

David

·
Registered
45 Posts

Ok i am out of here. when i frist came here this was a fun place. know all of a sudden it is like being back in school again some of us have learning disabilitys. who cares if you think the poster should of labeled there post difrently or spelled some words wrong.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts

Congratulations, it's a sticky!

I'm one of those who even uses full English in text messages.

CHEERS!

·
AKA Nigel...
5,053 Posts

Congratulations, it's a sticky!

I'm one of those who even uses full English in text messages.

CHEERS!
Me too, and if you have a smart phone it's actually easier.

Don't you hate when people post on forums as tough they were in a chat room - where speed counts.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts

I don't own a smartphone, my mobile is for outgoing emergency calls only. I don't need everyone to know where I am 24/7. If I'm at home, chances are I'm near to or on my computer. The landline downstairs has an answerphone if anyone is that desperate to reach me.

CHEERS!

·
AKA Nigel...
5,053 Posts

Does anyone else have an opinion... good, bad, or indifferent?

David
Just one suggestion. After looking at the thread at the top of the sticky section and trying to imagine how I might view it as a noob, I think it could be a little friendlier if you replaced "a proper" with "an effective" as in:
Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post.

Just a thought:)

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·

Just one suggestion. After looking at the thread at the top of the sticky section and trying to imagine how I might view it as a noob, I think it could be a little friendlier if you replaced "a proper" with "an effective" as in:
Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post.

Just a thought:)
Hmm... let me mull that one over for a bit... thanks, Nigel.

David

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)

After a bit of thought, how about changing the title to simply "Tutorial: How to compose a thread title and post"?

EDIT: Or should it be as Nigel has suggested? Or should it be left as is?

Yes or no? LMK!

David

·
Registered
5,655 Posts

Let me say this. I really like it that the Guidelines avoid any imperative or smug or confrontational tone. I know how hard that is to do because when I was trying to make a couple of suggestions above, I saw how easy it would be for me to fall into that.

That being said, the word "proper" in the title does have a slight whiff of the imperative. I think it gets defused when people read the actual guidelines, but some people may have a sensitive first reaction, like our friend Minto above whose feelings seem to have been hurt a bit. But I think there should definitely still be an adjective in the title, and for two reasons:

(1) firstly "Tutorial: How to compose a thread title and post" sounds more like it's going to be technical about using the software rather than about style; and (2) secondly, just telling people "how to do it" actually sounds more smug than suggesting how they could do it better.

I actually think itchybitz's "Tutorial: How to compose an effective thread title & post" nails it.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts