One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
1:6 Mechanic
1,046 Posts
Re: Tutorial: How to compose a proper thread title & post

What a brilliant post. Highwayman you have put down many things I don't like about posting on OSW better than I could have done. I am glad at least one other person thinks the same as me !!
This should be stickied somewhere for all to read for sure .
Thank you !

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,823 Posts

well....well said, and you proved your point! i'll be sure to consider what i am posting. i do hope, that i haven't made enemies here!
--

;) :p

·
God Bless America
1,528 Posts

I agree, this should be pinned at the top as a "PLEASE READ." This needs to be read!

I'm also glad somebody posted something like this, and that I'm not the only person that sees the need for these "tips." This list applies to WAY too many posts. Thank you Highwayman57! :thumb

It's funny and sad to call them "tips", since all of them go without saying to some of us. It's like finding it necessary to tell someone to be quiet in a library. Who the heck doesn't know to be quiet in a library? Who the heck doesn't know to SPELL correctly when posting on the world wide web? Ever heard of "spell check"? Could just as well call it "Tutorial: How to not look dumb or lazy."

Another thing that bugs me (and this could almost be included with grammar/spelling) is people using texting abbreviations in posts. You ain't texting, so don't use it! Nobody is awaiting your response, so take your time and spell it out.

Thus endeth the sermon. ;)

·
12,823 Posts

Another thing that bugs me (and this could almost be included with grammar/spelling) is people using texting abbreviations in posts. You ain't texting, so don't use it! Nobody is awaiting your response, so take your time and spell it out.
--

SO . . .

Abbreviations such as . . . (for example)

AFAIK | As far as I know
IMHO | In my humble opinion
POS | Piece of $%^&
WTF! | What the <CENSORED>!
IDK | I don't know

Would be better served and utilized if completely written out?

I'm just asking.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts

--

SO . . .

Abbreviations such as . . . (for example)

AFAIK | As far as I know
IMHO | In my humble opinion
POS | Piece of $%^&
WTF! | What the <CENSORED>!
IDK | I don't know

Would be better served and utilized if completely written out?

I'm just asking.
At this point this is a matter left to personal style and preference, surely? I agree with the recommendations about spelling and punctuation, but as long as posts don't look like Twitter gibberish, I don't think we'd micromanage abbreviations, or make anybody write in a different manner than they're naturally used to.

Some of those abbreviations are legitimate enough to rate their own dictionary entries. "IMHO" has a much lighter casual tone than spelling out "In my humble opinion;" and WTF can't be spelled out at all. Plus we make strong use of emojis here so it would be weird to suppress abbreviations and contractions. IMHO.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Want another tip?

Space your text out some.

Breaking up a big rant or something into paragraphs lends natural pauses to the reading, and even spacing some sentences apart can be used for effect.

It's a lot easier to read something that has a bit of care into HOW it is read, rather than reading a huge chunk of text. A lot of writers just want to get their thoughts out and down on the page (or screen), and they ignore ( or just aren't conscious) of how anyone else will read it. Some punctuation helps too, as does spelling, but the odd slip-up there is excusable if the whole thing is easy to read. Think of it as a gift to the reader, you respect them enough to take an extra bit of time and a few extra steps to make it worth their while. And it'll get your point across too.

But not if you write things like I just did. :knock

Just for an example, let's take that chunk of text and break it up just like I suggest and you decide if it's easier to read or not:

"It's a lot easier to read something that has a bit of care into HOW it is read, rather than reading a huge chunk of text.
A lot of writers just want to get their thoughts out and down on the page (or screen), and they ignore (or just aren't conscious of) how anyone else will read it.

Some punctuation helps too, as does spelling, but the odd slip-up there is excusable if the whole thing is easy to read.

Think of it as a gift to the reader, you respect them enough to take an extra bit of time and a few extra steps to make it worth their while.

And it'll get your point across too."

·
Registered
2,174 Posts

Can I go off on a limb here and say that I think the post is written half-sarcastically? Hehehe. But some good points there. If it keeps on happening there will be a need for a reminder.

For me, I don't abbreviate. I "HAHAHAHAHA!" and not "LOL". I didn't want it to become a habit, to be honest, as I correspond via email with other professionals in my line of work. Personally, and this just my opinion, text-abbreviations, in whatever format, is reserved for the younger crowd. If you're over 30, you shouldn't be doing it!. I am assuming by that age we should be professional enough to have a decent conversation. Or maybe I'm just too old for that sh*t. :D

Having said that, I don't mind it if people do that. I don't care all that much. And I still try to figure it out sometimes if I can't understand so I can communicate with them better. I know enough that it is a generational thing. I grew up in the age of telegrams, where abbreviations are a necessity, so I have no qualms about it.

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts

David thanks for writing this. I cant tell you as a mod how often we are asked to clean up or change a title or heading.

Just of note... If you don't like something say so, but have a valid reason or point. Saying something is bad for the sake of it doesn't help anyone. If for example the stitching is wrong on a uniform or item, then that is something...

·
12,823 Posts

David thanks for writing this. I cant tell you as a mod how often we are asked to clean up or change a title or heading.

Just of note... If you don't like something say so, but have a valid reason or point. Saying something is bad for the sake of it doesn't help anyone. If for example the stitching is wrong on a uniform or item, then that is something...
--

Fine.

The coffee in the break room sucks.

The soda machine constantly does not work.

The biscuits and gravy in the cafeteria sucks. They use just cheap powered gravy mix and pre-made biscuits they just warm up.

·
A Work In Progress
99 Posts

--

Fine.

The coffee in the break room sucks.

The soda machine constantly does not work.

The biscuits and gravy in the cafeteria sucks. They use just cheap powered gravy mix and pre-made biscuits they just warm up.
DFC, sounds like McDonalds or Wendy's.

I agree 100%

·
AKA Nigel...
5,053 Posts

If I may add one thing, it's always seemed to me that many people do not realize that the title of a thread can be edited (by using the advanced option).
So if you make a spelling mistake or just realize the title is just plain invective you can change it.

Don't forget, what you title your thread also effects search results.

Good thread:)

·
Registered
380 Posts

If I may add one thing, it's always seemed to me that many people do not realize that the title of a thread can be edited (by using the advanced option).
So if you make a spelling mistake or just realize the title is just plain invective you can change it.

Don't forget, what you title your thread also effects search results.

Good thread:)
sure?????
try it so many times....it never works....
how many times i want to add a (Update) to the title and nothing EVER happen there.....

·
Super mega jedi ninja
1,510 Posts

Thanks for creating this thread, great suggestions. I dont even bother reading threads with mysterious titles, dont have time for that. I use the search fuction a lot so good wording means good results :)

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

sure?????
how many times i want to add a (Update) to the title and nothing EVER happen there.....
Well, you have to go back to the very first post in the thread to change the title. Changing the title on a later post won't work.

David

·
Registered
2,174 Posts

sure?????
You have to be the original poster (or Admin) to do it. As far as I know.

·
AKA Nigel...
5,053 Posts

Well, you have to go back to the very first post in the thread to change the title. Changing the title on a later post won't work.

David
Yes, I really should have mentioned that. I figured it out the hard way :lol

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,538 Posts

I saw the title and was going to say "get off your soap box" BUT you have a very good point, I haven't been around as much as usual recently due to other hobbies, however if what you have pointed out is becoming a problem then it should be addressed to help clean up the threads as the Moderators have enough to worry about.

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

Thank you for your comment, Alex. I didn't want to come across as "Mister High-and-Mighty", trying to tell the other members how to do things. I was just trying to be helpful, and my aim was to make the OSW experience a little bit better for everyone. I hope that intent came through in my original post.

David

·
Riverboat engineman
2,219 Posts

Proper spelling and grammar. The first, I thank the spell checker in these infernal computer machines! Grammar? Failed it in elementary school! It has taken 63 years for me to write something that people can understand. English is one of the hardest languages to learn. Believe me, I was born here (Texas) and at times I still have problems with my English and Spanish.
When we see what is written from a collector of a different country, we can see where they are writing from. (Where does 99.9% of our collections come from anyway?).
I say give them a pass. They are fellow collectors. We know what they are trying to say.If not, and you are interested, ask them.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts