One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks fellas! - guess this technique isnt that wierd huh?? :)

Here are answers to some questions :-
Why you don't fix the pastels before applying the varnish?
After the blending process, the pastel is kinda fixed unless another round of misting.... so the final process of varnish is all i needed to fix the pastels...

Who is that HS?
This fella is DML's Marcus Schaper http://www.dragonmodelsltd.com/html/70352p1.htm ... big diff with a change of hair color eh ;)

What is the base color used to paint the sculpt? Looks like white or gray color?
The base coat is almost white . Its a special mix of Tamiya Colors. I had already abandon Tamiya Flesh ages ago, i find it to be too orange & reddish. The composition of our special formula is as below thinned down with acetone :-
- Tamiya Flat White - 95%
- Tamiya Buff - 4%
- Tamiya Clear Red - 1% (or couple of drops)
The grey bit would probably be the 5 o'clock shadow, around the chin area applied using airbrush - diluted German Grey

What is the percentage break down of Future to Tamiya?
Future Floor Polish mixed with Tamiya Flat Base at a mix of 1 part flat base to 10 parts Future to achieve a flat finish .... i got this from : http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html ;)

Do you keep repeating the process outlined in step 5 until you get the level of color saturation seen on the head in the first photo in step 6?
Yup - basically that's the idea, so by adding pastels powders and blending you would achieve the toning you are satisfied with... after a coupla of HS and getting the hang of it, the frequency of repeating gets lesser.... also a good thing about using pastel and water is any overtoning could be corrected :)

Hope you guys give it a try and let me know your results eh?

loco

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Thanks for clarifying everything,

I'm surprised to see great results from Tamiya colours, I tried them but couldn't get on with them and switched to Vallejo. I suppose the fact that I brush paint also makes a good deal of difference.

CHEERS!

·
Space Monkey
2,311 Posts
How much water are you misting on the head? It's obviously not dripping wet, is it just a fine mist to dampen for blending? Awsome tutorial by the way, thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Very minimal misting is only required, basically just to have enough water to make the surface damp for blending to be done with the broad brush. Too much misting would just result in more powder to desolve/mix with water which means more removal of powder..... not a big deal, just repeat the process of applying pastel dust again ;)

hope to know your results buddy...

loco

·
cablecommandercustoms
1,325 Posts
Thanks for this tutorial, loco ss. I used this tutorial the other day on 3 figures, and I have to tell you 2 of them turned out great. The 1 that didn't I think had a little too much red in it. On the last 2 sculpts I didn't use the red and they turned out pretty good, imho.

CC

·
Registered
626 Posts
Just purchased an airbrush and compressor because of this tutorial. Cost me $350 smackers! Can't wait to begin. Been studying this tutorial all day, thanks loco_SS.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts