One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been working on a series of commissioned custom weapons for fellow OSW members tigerstr and casual_collector for the past couple of months. I have already shared a couple of these projects in separate threads. For those of you who may have missed them, please follow the links below:

JP Enterprises LRP-07 7.62mm sniper rifle
Larue OBR762 7.62mm sniper rifle

I have just finished the third weapon in the series and and now proud to present you with the AAC Honey Badger Personal Defense Weapon (PDW). Chambered in .300 AAC Blackout, the Honey Badger is based on the AR-15 platform to pack a lot of punch into a very small platform.

This build is basically a heavily modified DAM M4A1. All major components have been customised in order to produce the distinctive Honey Badger appearance. Extensive modifications were carried out on the stock, upper receiver, lower receiver, handguard, and barrel assembly / integral silencer. The sliding stock, charging handle and dustcover are all functional. Rather than boring you with the minutiae of all of the work done to make this build, I will let the pics speak for themselves.

All in all, I am happy with this build and believe that this is an accurate representation of the Honey Badger in 1/6 scale. Enough from me. On to the photos...

As always, your thoughts / comments / suggestions are welcomed. Cheers!

·
1/6 HSLD SOF fanatic
1,585 Posts
Man, this is just AWESOME, I can't even begin to make out how you managed to transform a DAM M4 so much. Incredible skills. My hat is off to you Sir!!!! :bravo :bravo

·
Pug Lord
1,122 Posts
We have the , quite annoying, Safe Act in NY. While I don't know if this weapon is legal to own in the rest of the US, the "Safe Act" include some of the silliest restrictions known to man. The weapon cannot have a removable magazine AND a pistol grip. WTF ? This would be cosmetic at best since two identical weapons with and without a pistol grip would be equally deadly, with or without a removable magazine. The rest of the law is just as goofy. While I do not personally own any guns, I fully support my friends and neighbors who apples this.

Don't want to start something political, just commenting that a great looking firearm like this is not available to enjoy.

Anyway, Fantastic, talented, work!

·
Proudly Banned by OSS
7,357 Posts
Jason - would you mind if I post those WIP pics you sent me? It gives a decent idea of just how much work was done on this.
I'm thrilled - THRILLED - to see this done. I remember our original discussion in the Fall about the feasibility of doing this, but I've gotta say that you nailed the look of it. Thank you for taking this project up - it was well worth the cost :thumb

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jason - would you mind if I post those WIP pics you sent me? It gives a decent idea of just how much work was done on this.
I'm thrilled - THRILLED - to see this done. I remember our original discussion in the Fall about the feasibility of doing this, but I've gotta say that you nailed the look of it. Thank you for taking this project up - it was well worth the cost :thumb
Hey Ryan, so pleased to hear that you are happy with the way that this one has turned out - that makes at least 2 of us!

Feel free to post the WIP pics if you like. Have at it, mate.

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mad skills, Man!
:thanks Thanks uramegak! Glad to hear that you like her, mate.

Wow! This looks amazing, excellent work.
:thanks Cheers hotel25! Thanks for the kind words.

Man, this is just AWESOME, I can't even begin to make out how you managed to transform a DAM M4 so much. Incredible skills. My hat is off to you Sir!!!! :bravo :bravo
:thanks Thank you George! Ryan will post a couple of WIP pics that I sent him earlier - that should give everyone an idea of what was done.

Anyway, Fantastic, talented, work!
:thanks Thanks Pontiacivan.

Pretty cool Turkey! :D
:thanks Cheers Uswin!

Easy & simple please make this :wideyes
:thanks Cheers Sam! Although E&S, please don't make this - at least not yet! This has happened a couple of times now - after spending a lot of hours at the workbench to make a new custom weapon, E&S has come along very soon afterwards and released the exact same rifle in beautiful detail which my skills simply cannot match making them by hand. Please let me, my customer, and our fellow OSWers enjoy this one a little while longer before you completely blow it out of the water with your beautifully manufactured pieces.

Magnificent work, my friend. Kem strike in 10s :lol:lol
:thanks Thanks FP! Not entirely sure if I know what 'Kem strike in 10s' means, but ... thanks?

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WIP shots:

Thanks for sharing the pics Ryan ... this saves me from having to upload them.

A couple of things that I would like to point out. First of all, these pics show the Honey Badger as an early WIP. In the intervening time between when these were taken and the finished product as shown in the first post above, I had to revisit the lower receiver and the handstop at the end of the handguard. Both required further putty and shaping to produce the correct profile. Meanwhile, the thin strips of styrene seen on both sides of the upper receiver which form the channels for the sliding stock also received additional work with some putty and a little sanding and shaping. Following all of this (and trust me, it is much more time consuming that it sounds!), the trigger guard also had to be added (scratchbuilt from styrene). Once all of the major construction works were finished, I experimented with various paint mixes to get the shades as close to 1:1 as possible. To this I added a brown wash and some light drybrushing, interspersed with layers of gloss and flat lacquer to add definition to the details and really bring her alive.

·
prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian
4,007 Posts
Turkeyshot

Hey no fair! You're having far too much fun than is allowed :lol

I read up about this rifle after you post3d the photos. Turns out thst it exists but seems to be eclipsed by the sig saur equivalent.

What's a good source to find out more about this blackwell cartridge?
Awesome work and youd you seriously contact Osprey and offer the,pm to write a booklet for their Modeling series. I'd cerainly buy it in a heatbeat

xavier

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Turkeyshot

Hey no fair! You're having far too much fun than is allowed :lol

I read up about this rifle after you post3d the photos. Turns out thst it exists but seems to be eclipsed by the sig saur equivalent.

What's a good source to find out more about this blackwell cartridge?
Awesome work and youd you seriously contact Osprey and offer the,pm to write a booklet for their Modeling series. I'd cerainly buy it in a heatbeat

xavier
:thanks Thanks for the kind words, Xavier!

I hear what you are saying about the SIG Sauer MCX - we discussed trying to make one of these, but the stock and handguard are very distinctive and quite possibly beyond my scratch-building skills. In the end we felt that the best way to approach making one of these was to have these components 3D printed, combining that with modified M4 receiver. This could well be one for the future.

SIG Sauer MCX

·
Memento Mori
1,151 Posts
Ts nailed it again ;), well done my friend:thumb.

Excellent choice, it is a beatiful custom indeed. I see some pretty cool honey badgers from the community and one day I love to see this one:

My favourite, I hope it will be done in the future, by 3d custom works or professional companies. :)

·
prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian
4,007 Posts
Turkeshot,

Thanks for the link and photo.

I suspect that both the stock and the receiver could be photoetched but that's super tough
xavier

1 - 20 of 20 Posts