One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a hip replaced on the 16th of dec. and I had a lot of extra time on my hands that I couldn't spend out in my man cave,ever since I started my canal dio I have been looking for a suitable bridge I could build to cross it,at first I planned on going with stone,but a stone bridge this small would have looked to bulky,while digging around google I found the "Coopers Tubular Arch Bridge", originally it was in upstate New York near the Spearmint Gum factory,but the state rescued it and rebuilt it over a restored section of the Eirie canal,the original bridge was much larger then mine and I compressed a lot of details.
The original bridge arch was built from cast iron sections,my arch is 1/2 PVC water pipe,and it is under compression like the original,the horizontal pieces are actually holding the arch in shape,I threaded a couple dozen 1/8 welding rods section to hold it all together.
In 1/6th scale it is 9 1/2 feet wide and 16 feet long,just like the original bridge I used 4 inch train track for the length wise pieces,I had bought the rails for a narrow gauge project but when I found this bridge I figured this was a perfect use for them!
I haven't decided on a paint color yet,I need to do some research on European bridges before the war to figure out what color is correct,most likely black or silver.
The deck will be 2X12,it's too cold outside right now to cut them.
The bridge will be mounted on lime stone abutments and raised a couple feet to get the clearance underneath.
So far I've been working on it for a little over a week,a couple hours a day,as weather and my hip allow,this part of my man cave has a wood stove which keeps the main room at 60,the back trailer were the canal dio is doesn't get as warm so it might be a little before I can back and get to work on it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Perfectly 1/6 scaled bridge! Looks fantastic, especially with the wood planks, very slick skills Comrade, cheers!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sputnuk, After looking on google I have decided that the paint should be either green or silver,I'll see whats available at the hardware store this afternoon.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks spitfire,I can't take credit for the engineering,I copied from an original,I just compressed it for my location.
I spent some time looking at vintage German bridges and it looked like light green or silver were the two most popular colors,I found a green I really liked,getting everything covered is quite a chore,almost as bad as painting spoked wheels!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks petemit. I started working on the stone abutments today,I needed to get the bridge a couple feet above the canal bank,again I got some nice sand stone from my friends and chopped it into blocks,I still need to add the roadways,but I'm please with the look so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts