One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So me and a co-worker were discudding Cloverfield at the counter when it was released.And it was clear what we were discussing.And he turns and loosk at us and asks....

"Was that a true story?"

Suffice it to say,he is still getting ripped on a month later for that comment.

And his rebuttal was..."I thought you were talking about the Blair Witch Project"

And that got even more smart ass remarks thrown at him.As well as more Godzilla sound bites.

And it gets better.And different co-worker asked if it was a real monster or a fake monster.

True story!!!

·
Devils and Dust
2,040 Posts
If I may add one of my own, on the true level ignorance of the people in general.

When I did a stint in Recruiting, I had parents, mom and dad, sitting at their kitchen table, who looked at me and with all sincerity, and not to mention their condescending tone tell me this... " There is NO WAY we will allow little Johhny to enlist in the military. We saw the Simpsons episode where Bart went to military school, and we KNOW all about it and how it REALLY is!"

Needless to say, I thanked them for their time and popped smoke outta their house as quickly as I could. Didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or do both as I strangled them.

I think they are friends with your co-workers:(:(

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could seriously add one of these types an hour.I should make my own real time website for this.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
I don't know if its just people being so distanced or unaffected by the ongoing wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and conflicts around the world, but whenever someone new sees one of my figures or some image from those posted at MPnet, the first remarks I hear are generally along the lines of "Hey, that looks like Call of Duty 4."

Hehe BR, I can vaguely remember people saying stuff like that but with other shows/movies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Many years ago, when I was bartending, I'd see this all the time. I had my daily regular crowd, and the every-so-often attendees. One such female occasional customer had just been hired at International House of Pancakes and came in to have a celebratory cocktail. Naturally, one of the regular smartallecks asks her "Are they really international?", to which she replied "Yes, they have some in Hawaii." :X

Or when I was working in hollywood, people would ask what I was working on. I'd tell them western/war/cop/drama/sitcom etc. Most were satisfied with that. The subject of this thread were those who insisted on hearing the title, as if they knew of current projects being produced. After hearing it, they'd reply "Never heard of it." or "Gee, I haven't seen it yet."....The winners, and it happened more than once, were those who said "Oh, I loved that movie". Of course, all of the projects were still being filmed. :knock

·
Enjoying the View
1,136 Posts
Remember that GI Joe WWII Flamethrower figure Hasbro released back in 1999? When the design team called their legal team, one of the laywers asked "Does it work?"

·
Old Enough To Know Better
243 Posts
A friend of mine was watching Lord of the Rings with his girlfriend and she asked if it was real. Then she tried to cover it up with not real, but based on something that happened in the past. LOL.
Well, it was kinda based on WWI. I guess. At least that's what the Tolkien biography said.:)

A friend of mine is a native Hawaiian. When people ask him what country he's from, he says "The United States." Then they usually ask what country his parent are from. He says, "The United States, we're Hawaiian."
And then they usually say, "Ah-ha! I knew you were from a foreign country!"
:sadshake

·
Enjoying the View
1,136 Posts
I have a friend who teaches history and one day a student complained to him about the low grade for the paper she wrote about the War of 1812. He explained to her that she completely left out the burning of Washington. The conversation concluded thus:

Professor: "Yes, Washington burned."
Student: "Really, I thought he got shot in the theater."

·
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
5,445 Posts
Reposted from another board:

I was waiting to get off of an airplane in San Francisco; the flight was continuing to Portland so there were eleven people (give or take) still sitting down. Several rows ahead of me, a standing girl was chatting with the passenger seated next to her. The conversation went as follows:

Standing: "You're smarter than I am, waiting for everyone to get off before you stand up."

Seated: "Actually, I'm continuing on to Portland."

Standing: "Portland..."

*brief pause*

Standing: "...help me out, where is that?"

Seated: "Oregon."
Both girls are students at a world-renowned public university located in southern California. I want to say the standing girl was wearing a school sweatshirt, but I can't remember.

---------------

I've also met someone who thought New England was in Europe, but he was from Asia. He wanted to know why the National Football League had "a team in Europe"...

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
I remember hearing the following on a national radio program...

A gentleman was trying to order a set of commemorative coins over the phone. When he was asked what state he lived in, he replied, "New Mexico". At which point the woman on the other end of the line said, "Oh, I'm sorry, but we don't ship outside the U.S."

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I remember hearing the following on a national radio program...

A gentleman was trying to order a set of commemorative coins over the phone. When he was asked what state he lived in, he replied, "New Mexico". At which point the woman on the other end of the line said, "Oh, I'm sorry, but we don't ship outside the U.S."
That may indeed have happened with the coin company. I remember it happened with tickets to the Atlanta Summer Olympics. There were many cases (on national news) reported of New Mexicans being told they couldn't buy tickets to events because "these lines are for Americans" or "United States Purchases Only".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.