One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have just finished a helmet conversion that i wanted for my latest kitbash i am making, this will be a 'Triple Nickel' paratrooper figure. This is an idea i have had for a while and after seeing the excellent work by SSG Felder, i just have to have a figure from that regiment in my collection.

The pictures below show the various stages of how i have converted the helmet with a little 'Modellers Licence'. The main part was to make a base to put the hinge onto and i had to use some stretched sprue rivets to hold the plastic piece in place, because i could not get the plastic to stick to the helmet. The next pictures show the visor i had to make and the hinge made and shaped. The final pictures show the painted helmet with a strap and buckle fitted.

I would like to thank pangloss (Tim) for the helmet, romedome (romeo) for the idea and .308 (Paul) for his help and advice.

I have a better description of how i did it on this page.

Gary

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,365 Posts
Nice! I look forward to seeing your Smoke Jumper.

Good work on the correct spelling of "nickel". The Triple "Nickle" is one of the most commonly mis-spelled unit nick names that I have ever seen.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Definitely a good job on the helmet. Being an old codger, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that the 555th likely wore the older 40s-50s helmets as the base for the smokejumper helmet. Your helmet's far better looking, as the older model was taller, less aerodynamic, and featured defined ear swells -

I found this shot online, of 555th troopers assembled in jump gear -

Some old smokejumper pics indicate they may have modified early jet pilot helmets as well, which would look more comparable to yours, so who knows...

A good source for the look of smokejumpers in the 40s-50s, is Red Skies of Montana, with the recently deceased Richard Widmark.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.