One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I've never really done a review before, so bear with me.

So the new Toys City MG set!
First off, I'll say that I had some issues with it, it seems as if the weapon wasn't glued at all, or properly. The front sight was loose in the box, butt-stock, charging handle, feeding tray, and chamber cover all needed to be fixed with a dab of glue to help hold things together. It seemed like if I really wanted to, I could have disassembled the gun completely.

The ammunition boxes are pretty nice, and open, although getting them closed again can be a bit of a pain, I was afraid I'd break them trying to get them closed properly. The spare barrel holder (which I forgot to get a picture of with the gun) opens, and contains another barrel for the weapon, which is nice. The ammunition drum can hold the plastic ammunition belt that is included, and fits onto the gun and in the chamber area, too.

The charging handle functions, and is spring-loaded.

The packframe fits well on a figure, too. It has a belly-band that helps secure it to the figure's torso, it's quite similar to a modern ALICE pack-frame.

The MG tool pouch is very nice, stitched out of leather and opens rather efforlessly. All the strapping is assembled rather easily, which I was thankful for, didn't even have to bust out the tweezers. I did have to glue the strapping that was wrapped around the toggles, though, that pesky gluing issue I mentioned before seemed consistent with this set. To me, gluing and repairing things usually goes hand-in-hand with the hobby, though...

I did take more photos of the pack-frame on a figure, but they came out rather badly, still getting used to this new camera.

While there definitely was some issues with this, the last MG42 I got was from DML's Otto, so this was a nice upgrade for me, and I'm glad I got it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Thanks for the update, and honest review PM! Yes I agree with you-gluing is manditory in this hobby, but it sounds like alot of extra work involved when really most of us want items intact. The MG looks like it has awesome detail, and the rest of the gear looks good, maybe your set was an over looked quality control that slipped through. I honestly was thinking of this purchase, but I think I'll stand down! Really love your German figure, he looks fantastic!!

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,956 Posts
Perhaps it's indicative of a [email protected] $ $ ed effort similar to their MP-7 PDW set that had QC issues as well.

Why is it that some 1:6 manufacturers generally speaking are putting forth a half @ $ $ ed effort in terms of some 1:6 weapons sets nowadays?

·
Switched to Lurking...
693 Posts
The molded ammunition belt "looks" to be identical to DML. My favorite molded belts were the ones from Yellow Submarine. I felt the additional paint op of the head on the rounds, and the fact they hung better made them the best at the time. The MG and the 50 round belt cans look similar too. Is this a re-hash of existing molds, similar to SOTW's released of past DML items? The paint ops on the MG look top notch in your photos. Did you do any weathering at all? The last time I had a DML MG-42 with the operating charging handle, the paints ops were definitely simplistic.

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Firefox, I haven't weathered or altered any of the items yet, the bits from the set were taken straight from the box to be put on the finger.
To me much of it does seem to be a re-hash from existing molds, and the plastic ammo belt is just like the Dragon ones.

DFC, I haven't gotten any other Toys City items before so I can't say for sure if it's an on-going trend, but I like to try and be optimistic. There is room for improvement with almost any release, the best I think we can hope for is that company will listen to the feedback and learn and improve with future projects.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,956 Posts
DFC, I haven't gotten any other Toys City items before so I can't say for sure if it's an on-going trend, but I like to try and be optimistic. There is room for improvement with almost any release, the best I think we can hope for is that company will listen to the feedback and learn and improve with future projects.
--

I respect your optimistic perspective as a collector.

I'm an "old timer" and more jaded for a variety of reasons due to experiences over the years so I tend to take a pessimistic perspectives at times.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
My favorite molded belts were the ones from Yellow Submarine
I agree totally on that one! I hoarded a bunch when they were available....they are so much more flexible that the DML version.

As for the similarity between DML and Toys City items......I always figured it had something to do with the fact that they were located in complexes a block apart on the same street in City of Industry......had to be something going on there, especially with the similarity of so many items.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts