One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The toy soldier WWII boots with the buckle (non- airborne ones) are slightly less than the newline ones and come with a holster, but the new line ones look to be of better quality. Can i have the opinion of someone who has purchased them?

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I have used the DiD version on a couple figures and loved em. They are pretty well constructed, though you cannot muscle the straps or they will break. Come with plenty of lace to get your fingers on and really worked out well.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I prefer the DiD boots for some uses as they're glossy which it seems none of the NLM boots are.

Kroenen here is wearing the DiD boots.

And here's some comparisons of In the Past Toys boots compared with NLM boots before I got the DiD boots. The IPT boots are decent but don't have any shape and look more like slipper or something. They also have a zipper on the back which is both a good and bad thing. Makes them way easier to put on but at the same time not really accurate to anything.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My preference is between Newline and DiD.

The DiD german tanker, mountaineering(best), officer riding and airborne boots are great. Some of the boots have feet that are too long so it looks like the legs are too skinny and the guy is Ronald MacD's.

The recent Newline stuff is great but has a few hitches. The Officer boots look a bit short and the dice shakers(regular infantry) are the best, if you get matching pairs, some of the sets I got come from two different production runs(I assume) because the leather quality is different on both(the soles are different color). But overall, the Newline recent stuff is great, especially to weather down with sandpaper because most other brands when you try to sandpaper it down tends to shred.

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
It all depends on your application. The Newline (NLM) are the best but are also very expensive. DiD makes a great product but, it depends on the look you are after. Weathering with the use of sandpaper, it is better to go with NLM. For a high shine that may be needed DiD may be your best choice. I was not happy with the Toy Soldier version in the M1943 Buckle Boots or the M1942 Parachutist Boots. If it is a budget issue go with DiD, TS may be disappointing.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
The only thing that has held me back from NLM boots is the price. I buy mostly DiD, they are great boots for the price. There are a couple of historical bashes that I'd like to tackle. When I'm ready for those I'll spend the cash and go NLM, their new western styles are nice.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Price is a consideration for most of us, but NLM are still quite reasonable when compared to the price of the first custom leather boots, IMO. In a hobby that's being beaten about the head by the RL economy, leather boots are still a pretty good deal.

·
Proactive Procrastinator
1,330 Posts
I like the newline boots, but I find them oversized. The toysoldier boots don't have all the details and they may be a little undersized. They also need some weathering and/or boot polish.

I don't think I have any of those pics from the review. I have to drum up a figure that I have used them on. I haven't done may US lately. The one thing I found amusing in that review I did a while back was that some stated that they preferred the Dragon buckle boots over the toysoldier :confused: :erm . There comes a time when you need to lay off the drugs!!

I'll try to get some pics up. The Newlines are good to go out of the bag (although again I feel they look too big), they Toy Soldier need some work and can look pretty good. Due to their smaller size though, you have to faux the blousing because they don't look right with too much pant leg material tucked in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts