One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up at the last Echobase BBQ.And I am glad I did.And since I am not versed in Vietnam era gear,I am going to review this on a quality of the gear standpoint.

Body-This is the first release of the new TS body.The new body has improved shoulder articulation and a different ball joint and spacing for the feet/ankles.The shoulders have a whole new joint which allows for better posing.Same with the ankles.While it has a lot of new features,it still has some of the problems the previous one had.Namely the loose joints.But for those who are adventurous,it's not a big issue to fix.

Sculpt-Barry Pepper..you know,the guy from Saving Private Ryan.It has 2 different sculpts,camo painted,and non camo painted.The camo version is mounted to the body in the box.And the paint apps are great.

BDU-ERDL camo.Now as I said,I am not versed in Nam stuff,so I can't judge the look.While it does look shiny.Knowing the Toy Soldier process,Alan doesn't make anything until he has an authetic version in his hand.I can't speak for the material,but the colors are close to the ones I have seen in the little research Ihave done.

Headgear-ERDL boonie and Beret.These have been released before,so there really isn't anything new here.

Boots-I think these are the same as the versions that came with the Nam uni set.The boot has a better shaped toe cap to it,which I think is a vast improvement over the previoes box set boots.

Webgear-Amazing.The detail here is amazing.I wasn't aware that Fastecs were in use in Nam until these.But the gear is great.Yeah sure,2 web belts could have been included,but oh well.

Medic pack-Outstanding.I looked at some 1/1 pics and it is TO THE TEE!Kudos to TS for another standout piece of 1/6 gear.

Weapons-M4(or something like that)Not anything different from the previous TS releases
M14-While it lacks moving parts,this is a HUGE step for TS.The woodgrain paint app is outstanding.The lifting buttstock is a bit loose on mine though.
K-BAR-I haven't attempted to remove the KBAR from the sheath,but the leather sheath is fantastic.
Ammo mags-10 M4 20 rounders and 9 M14 mags are included.Nice to have a full complement of magazines to fill a set of pouches
Grenades-2 baseball,2 smoke and an M34 phosphourous grenade are included.

Other stuff-Sage green nomex,tropical kit,compass/medic and strobe are the other little bits to customize the figure.

Here is what I did to it,before I put it away for a bit until I can really figure out what to do with it.

All in all,another excellent TS offering.Not without it's problems,but still it's a very good buy!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Not really sure, but I wasn't aware these Fastex buckles were available even during the late Vietnam war. 'Nam experts should comment on these. There is a picture of a "Army infantryman circa 1973" in Wikipedia wearing the then "new" ALICE gear. It is possible I guess that since SEALs have access to military gear before it is issued to regular troops that these were in fact available to them, assuming any of them were still in Vietnam this late in the war. Again, we need the input from the Vietnam experts.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Great review Aaron, I didn't pick up anything other than the CLS bag, and I agree, it is a superbly well made piece.

The M34 WP also looks like a great piece. I hope they include more on their next Vietnam era figures, those Willy Petes are pretty decent and hard to come by.

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
Not really sure, but I wasn't aware these Fastex buckles were available even during the late Vietnam war. 'Nam experts should comment on these. There is a picture of a "Army infantryman circa 1973" in Wikipedia wearing the then "new" ALICE gear. It is possible I guess that since SEALs have access to military gear before it is issued to regular troops that these were in fact available to them, assuming any of them were still in Vietnam this late in the war. Again, we need the input from the Vietnam experts.
PitViper:

TS is correct in the presentation of the Davis Buckle (M67 equipment) which came out in 1968. The biggest difference with the M67 equipment over the M56 is the use of nylon and plastic to reduce weight, jungle rot, and for quicker drying when wet. It has noting to do with the SEALs. Hell, it was during the Vietnam war that the SEALS came into their own (created in 1962). If you want to dig deep you can say the SEALs are really the predecessors of the Operational Swimmers of the Office of Strategic Services, or OSS. Many current Navy SEAL missions were first assigned to them. Notice I did not say UDT, although the SEALS will also trace their origins to the Naval Constructions Battalions (spring 1943) who's missions lated developed into the UDT. M67 gear has more to do with the Marine Corp who came into the Vietnam war with much of the same equipment used in W.W.II. Back then, the USMC did not have the budget line they do now under the Navy.

The Davis Buckle was experimental item which was a quick release buckle. However, it had the tendency to come undone at annoying times. It saw limited use during Vietnam (availability was the issue) but is seen more with ALICE web gear (late 70's) as the military being the military and soldiers being soldiers mixing and matching equipment.

BTW, it was Military Assistance Command, Vietnam (MACV) Studies and Observation Group (SOG) that got most of the new equipment for testing and evaluation not to mention some of the unique items they put into the military inventory. These guys were CIA but, primarily Army Special Forces. They also had an Air component (USAF, 90th Special Operations Wing). Some Marines and Navy personnel were also part of the group.

·
The Plastic Castaway
1,493 Posts
Good review! I'm really glad I picked up this figure. He has probably the nicest belt/webbing I've seen on a figure yet. I really like the head sculpt and bought a few extra bodies from Monkey Depot. :)

One thing that wasn't mentioned is the packaging. I personally love the TS boxes. They're not as huge as other boxes because they don't need a plastic enclosed spot for every tiny piece and pouch. I appreciate that when I'm trying to figure out where to store stuff. :) Most other companies I'll throw the boxes out because they're just way too big to keep them.

Plus the "shoebox" shape takes me back to a simpler time when I kept my troops housed in various shoe boxes. I only have 3 Toy Soldier figures, but I've never had anything damaged when I got it, so I think their packaging is great. :)

Looking forward to their next release.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If, by 'fastex' you are referring to the plastic pouch fasteners, then yes, TS is correct. They were not necessarily issued to SF types first or even just US forces - a pic exists of an Australian wearing the pouches in a photo allegedly taken in 1967 which is remarkably early.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
BDU-ERDL camo. Now as I said,I am not versed in Nam stuff, so I can't judge the look. While it does look shiny. Knowing the Toy Soldier process, Alan doesn't make anything until he has an authentic version in his hand. I can't speak for the material, but the colors are close to the ones I have seen in the little research I have done.
I, too, was skeptical about the ERDL camo, but it was pointed out by Usmcrtop, with photos from the US Militaria Forum, that this particular version is called Vivid Green or Medium Green produced in 1968 and 1969 respectively.

·
1/6 24/7!
1,253 Posts
Thanks for review! Sweeeeet figure! Now you need to weathering him up!

I never knew theres M14 pouches for M1967 actually exists. I own 1/1 M1967 webgear but seem like I couldn't find any reference of anyone used it in vietnam.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
I think you meant the opposite, as the OSS predated the SEALs by about 20 years.
Yep... I think he just mistakenly got things bassackwards.

SEALs generally trace their operational history and unit lineage to various WWII era organizations like the Scouts and Raiders, Naval Combat Demolition Units, Office of Strategic Services Operational Swimmers, Underwater Demolition Teams and Motor Torpedo Boat Squadrons.

Army Special Forces also trace their history back to OSS and to a lesser extent the First Special Service Force.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.