One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, it all started trying to find the 1/6 ELCAN Specter for my SEAL Gunner and I noticed it's a rather rare piece to find: it ended I bought this whole figure.
Also the Green Berets are quite rare and have not been updated since some years: as I got the nice box I had no courage to use this rarity just for kitbashing, so I decided to go the whole mile and assemble it as it was intended.
Of course it is an outdated design for modern military figures but I also find some appealing aspects out of the box.

Let's start with the negatives:

- The body design is rather loose and it's hard to keep any posture, besides it has some hard limits to the positions/movements it can accomplish; the holding parts such as the wrists articulations' spheres are also quite weak and can brake apart easily while rotating the hand; the head has very limited movements before popping out and so are the hands.

- The helmet straps are completely wrong and are hard to stay centered on the chin: admittedly also the original MICH H straps are also a bit of a mess and have been replaced by newer improved design H and Y straps.

- All the rifle's attachments won't slide on the rails but instead are pushed on and hold by the molded pin into their pin holes.

- The uniform is not that bad but the textile is a little bit oversized and not the top notch we can get these days; the helmet rails are completely unreal for their color (I had to repaint it!) and poorly molded.

- The tourniquet is loose and should be rearranged, and some of the velcro won't hold.

- Overall it is a fragile figure you should treat and handle with a lot of care: I had to use super glue in a few spots.

- There is no way to hook the sling to the rifle without breaking the fragile plastic loop on it: I took inspiration from DAM and added a brass ring to hold the sling's hooks.

- The patches are not well defined and just a look-alike.

The positive:
+ Rare presentation of a Green Beret.

+ Realistic head sculpt very well made.

+ Rare MICH 2002 used almost exclusively by the Green Berets.

+ Sturdy and well made knee pads.

+ The look of the weapons and their accessories are top notch, with fine markings and details, even if they lack all the realistic moving parts and assembly we are used to lately. We have a Scar H in a beautiful color scheme.

+ The gloves though being made of rubber are looking just great with the hard notches and fine details; the boots to a less extent but not that bad.

So all in all I'm glad I assembled it, and since this is a veteran figure I so dared to weather it down to start an appearance of being on the field. I wouldn't go that far with the newest figures from DAM or Soldier Story as I'm afraid of loosing all the fine details they present.

I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Very nice! The return of a really decent figure, and you got him up right. I appreciate what you've done here, keeping traditions alive.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks.
For me this is an unexpected turn: in these days I'm more concentrating my efforts in building up a SEAL team squad but this Army Guy just got my attention and since it had a more limited scope (just one figure versus the ever-expanding SEAL squad) it was like pushing in just one direction to reach a satisfactory end result.

Considering the limits this figure has I can still appreciate it more alike my 1/35 painted soldiers where you do have many details just suggested, though with much greater details thanks to the bigger scale.
By pure chance my first modern figure (in many ways: both because my main military subject has been WWII from the start and also since I stopped collecting the Dragon Figures since ten years ago or more) happened to be the Soldier Story Zero Dark Thirty Team Leader I was so impressed by the overall quality I have been hooked again and started a project to put together a full (and some...) SEAL squad. Nothing new I know, and I'm not planning any major customizing, but just a kitbash and putting together the already existing figures, eventually making some lifting work if needed.
Like in this case (it was my final rehearsal somehow) I'm still considering to swap his body with a more efficient one: I believe I can still use the HS and hands on a DAM body, i'n'it?

He who knows anything about this matter shall speak NOW! ;)

...or at least point me in a right direction where to gather updated information related to the body works!

hehehe

Cheerio

·
Watching
894 Posts
Great work. I think TC are horribly missed at the moment. I really wish they would return with some carded sets. Your weathering is excellent and really takes this figure to the next level.

G

·
What a coincidence! I have that back pack which I bought loose some time ago. I had no idea where it originated from until now. I was about to ask members to ID it for me. Well, it's no need now. Thanks to your thread.

It's still a good looking figure. You've done a good job putting it together.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're welcome Toyscout: still I wasn't able to ID that backpack listed as M.Khaki MOLLE 3L Hydra Pouch to a real one. It seems to be an hybrid between the Assault backpack that has shoulder straps and the sewed on lower pouch and the plain 3L hydra pouch with MOLLE strips and straps and no zippers.
Overall the webbing and vest of this figure are good enough to stand on the latest productions: still a good source for kit bashing.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm thinking of an upgrade to this figure and I'd like to know if anyone can give me some useful advise on my ideas.
First of all I really would like to update the patches to proper ODA721 Green Beret patches.
I've found the proper unit patch

but I don't have a good printer and I would really like to have it embroidered but as for now I wasn't able to find anyone who can do it.
Besides I would really like to have some other patches that could be actually used by such unit's operators.

As you can see this unit should be HALO: I was thinking to use the E&S HALO apparatus and parachute: I doubt I can use the oxygen mask from that kit attached to the MILCH 2002 (I still have to check it) hence I will have eventually to swap the helmet with an high cut para type but I would prefer not to if I can.

Any suggestion or help will be most welcome!
TIA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts