One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if any of you are familiar with this character but i've always wanted to have figures from the classic anime movie Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. This movie started it all for me. It was released in 1984 under the US title "Warriors of the Wind". It blew me away. It was THE first feature length anime that i saw with a strong female lead character. Even today, it's still one of THE best animated movies ever made. I really suggest you guys watch/read/revisit this classic.

Anyway, here is one of the enemy soldiers from the film.

As a kid, i always found these knights scary because they all looked so cold and the same (much like Saruman's Urukhai and the Immortals in 300). What was unique about these knights (and the world of Nausicaa) was that they carried both swords and rifles. It was a post-apocalyptic medieval world with dog-fighting airplanes and rifle weilding knights.

Head: Sculpey
Armor: Sculpey
Body: 12" Classic GI Joe
Rifle: modifed CG Spas12

I would like to build a custom of Nausicaa herself. But i need a more petite female base body. I'd also like to build her glider in scale.

Well, hope you guys like this even if you don't know the character! It's a dream come true for me...:)

·
ever wearing flipflops
10,477 Posts
Very nice! I really like the look of the armor, and the weapon kick butt. Always good to see a custom that has so much sculpted detail. Very cool. I was unfamiliar with the source material, so I had to check it out. I agree with the above - Nausicaa would be a great custom ( that glider is wicked:) ) Maybe an Obitsu female body?

·
In case of emergency....
1,997 Posts
This guy looks great! You've done a wonderful job capturing the look and feel of these soldiers. It's amazing how much influence this film has seemed to have on other sci fi media properties (ex: the "techno-retro" look of 40K's Imperial Guard vehicles).

Like Mike (Sir Eaton) suggested, an Obitsu female would be a great base Nausicaa herself. I'm thinking the new 25cm body would work great and there's even a choice of bust sizes! :lol Just about any head from Obitsu, Volks, Azone or Noix de Rome, among others, could fit. It's just a matter of finding one that you think captures the character's design best (yeah, easier said than done).

·
Registered
716 Posts
A very cool subject for a custom! It is very nice to see a custom of a character that might not be so well known, but but for the customizer a dream come true. I think your knight looks great and thanks for sharing your skills.
I'm sure you will be able to find a petite body to do the princess herself (Obitsu & Volks).
I just watched Nausicca again last week with my kids and love the film. Miyazaki is a master.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks! It's great to see the Nausicaa has a good fan base. :) It was a lot of fun doing this project. One of the major things i had to do was "fatten" up the figure for it to look like the designs of miyazaki. The classic GI Joe build was perfect for this because of the large, cylindrical torso. As for Nausicaa herself, yes, an obitsu body would be perfect! However, from what i've seen of them, they have very small hands and feet. Can these be replaced with gripping hands and possibly ball jointed feet?

·
In case of emergency....
1,997 Posts
As for Nausicaa herself, yes, an obitsu body would be perfect! However, from what i've seen of them, they have very small hands and feet. Can these be replaced with gripping hands and possibly ball jointed feet?
The hands and feet are pretty tiny. The feet on the 27cm figures can be replaced with feet from a Dragon Eve 1.0 type body but I don't know of any ball jointed feet that will work. Obitsu separately offers two different hand sets for the 27 cm which both include gripping hands while I *think* the 25cm comes with an alternate set of gripping hands.

·
UNDER THE RUCK!
435 Posts
very cool figure and idea behind it!

good timeing to as the movie airs this wednesday down under on SBS will be sure to catch it as i love Miyazaki's work as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.