One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am starting this early, to document my progress with this build. The goal is to build a diorama with Joel and Ellie fighting off a clicker in a ruined city back alley. I have the basis for the diorama done, will photograph tomorrow.

Ellie will be a long time waiting, as while a body has been found, getting a good headsculpt and accurate clothing will take time and patience.

For Joel I have my Kai Studios head, just need to build up the guts to put paint on it, and a custom clothing set should be on its way shortly from a member over at SSF.

So in the interim, I began work today on a custom Clicker, suffering from a bad fungal infection. And finished off my lead pipe with scissors taped on, so I thought I could share that for now.

Considering redoing the clicker head, as I feel I may have made the jaw a bit too big. I was trying to make it look thicker due to the fungus, but not sure it came out that way. I will let you guys be the judge, as it was my first sculpt job so far so I am not too fussy. Thanks for taking a look :)

Attachments

·
i'm a lover not a fighter
3,141 Posts
Re: TLOU - Joel & Ellie Vs Clicker Diorama WIP

looks cool man. if you DO decide to redo the clicker, i'd humbly assert that building the fungus on an already screaming head would save you much time and effort - either way, i'm looking forward to this.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts

That's fairly disgusting looking...and, that's a good thing.

Nicely done.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

@ 8-bit Commando - Thanks mate. To be honest it took an hour to sculpt the whole thing, so redoing it from scratch isn't an issue. Baking sculpey onto an already made head is a little more difficult so I need to do it in the same material. It would solve the issue with proportions and sizing though. My biggest put off with any attempt I make at sculpting isn't the details but getting the head the right shape and size. It is like hitting a wall for me.

I am still not 100% with how the jaw sits too wide and low, so I think I will be redoing it today. There might be enough room on the dio (approx. 405mm wide x 400mm high) to actually have a second clicker dead or perhaps one laying against the wall spreading the fungus up the wall like in the game. That has always been one of my possible avenues with this diorama.

·
Watching
894 Posts

Looking forward to seeing this one progress. Great start on the Clicker.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I decided to keep the Clicker head as is for now. Although to me it looked a bit funny, sizing it up against the proportions of a head like a hot toys sculpt it is the right size/shape so that makes me less picky about it.

Clicker is almost finished. Just need to touch up the blood to make it less red/cartoony, and maybe add another torn up layer of clothing/cloth to hide the right elbow. The body used is a Sheeva Alomar, that I took apart for bits once I realised the elbows had torn out after being on display. Also need to find a way to tighten the jonts in the hips and knees, as they are quite weak for free standing. Will also probably add a belt since the Velcro on the pants has had its day.

Can also see the basis for my diorama in the pictures. Will be a doorway with a brick wall. Door will likely have a blown out glass panel in the top section, and there will be a downpipe running down the wall to a grate on the ground. Will have the ground littered with rubbish, a pallet, some crates and cardboard boxes, and will write "The Last of Us" on the wall to look like it was done in graffiti rather than make a name plate. The finished diorama will be put on a nice piece of timber with a routed edge for display base.

Attachments

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,540 Posts

@ 8-bit Commando - Thanks mate. To be honest it took an hour to sculpt the whole thing, so redoing it from scratch isn't an issue. Baking sculpey onto an already made head is a little more difficult so I need to do it in the same material. It would solve the issue with proportions and sizing though. My biggest put off with any attempt I make at sculpting isn't the details but getting the head the right shape and size. It is like hitting a wall for me.

I am still not 100% with how the jaw sits too wide and low, so I think I will be redoing it today. There might be enough room on the dio (approx. 405mm wide x 400mm high) to actually have a second clicker dead or perhaps one laying against the wall spreading the fungus up the wall like in the game. That has always been one of my possible avenues with this diorama.
Nice! You can cure sculpey by imersing it in boiling water or by blue tacking the nex (for example) to the bottom of a mug then pouring boiling water over it, leave to cool, empty cold water and repeat. I do it all the time, means you can use plastic, rubber etc.. parts with the sculpey.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

You sir, are a legend. I had no idea, but it makes sense. How many runs of boiling water do you normally need to submerge something the size of a headsculpt in to have it set properly?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

Fantastic work! And I love this game - one of my favorites (and also most stressful!). Those clickers always put me on edge while playing, and that clicking sound is pretty freaky.

Can't wait to see the rest!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Wow amazing work! :bravo:bravo:bravo

Looking forward to see the whole dio finished :)

If you are lucky you can find an 1/6 switchblade from the first DAM toys Spade on eBay. Finding an fitting head for Ellie might be the most difficult part. Did you have an look at the baby doll copy that has been sold on eBay? Maybe this would work after giving her an brown "hairjob".

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks for the heads up on the switchblade, will check it out. If I cant find one I think I should be able to make one though that will look close enough.

Currently making a nail bomb, and smoke bomb from the game. Going to make the full set of accessories. Hardest part for me, and an issue I came across when I was going to make my Rick Grimes is finding regular looking rifles/shotguns that don't look super military and also then finding ones that didn't cost more than the figure itself. Doing all this on a very tight budget lol.

As for the head, I am going to wait for Kai Studio's to decide if he releases his Ellie sculpt, which so far looks amazing. As for fitting, I am thinking the use of some rare earth magnets will sort that out for me. I decided on the obitsu 27cm body based on a previous thread about the topic. The hardest part is going to be the outfit unless someone makes one. I am not very good at sewing, very limited to things like the tank top the clicker is wearing (as that and my lara croft tank tops are about the only thing I have sewn so far).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Another update. With the clicker done, I decided to get to work on the smaller fiddly bits. Some for the diorama and some for Joel's gear. One thing I want to do, is have a full kit of gear in the backpack I will be getting, so that I can swap and change, plus.. sometimes I am a completeist...

Pics below.

For his sidearm, I have decided to just give him one. I like when he isn't wearing the holster, as I think it looks more survivor-ish with it tucked in the back of his pants. I went with the revolver, which in the game is a Taurus 66. While I didn't have one, and wasn't going to fork out dollars for a sidearm just for this, I instead used the black long barrelled revolver that came with Sheeva from RE. I cut the barrel length down, rejoined and gap filled, then painted silver/grey like the original in the game. I had to give up the function of opening the chamber, but the hammer can still move fin.

Along with the sidearm, I've got his torch, the lead pipe again, a shiv, Molotov cocktail (which I sculpted rather than buying a bottle), a smoke bomb and the nail bomb.

I also have a couple of food cans I made, a premade bottle of water, scissors, duct tape roll I made, small bottle of antiseptic, bandage and two bricks.

In the other photos are some of the diorama items. A bin, a wooden crate, a bucket and 3 bags full of rotten garbage to be falling out of the bin when on display.

Still lots to do, but I will keep working on it. Once I can get my piece of timber routed and primed for the base, I can start work on painting the diorama and adding all the details to that.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Another update.

Have made the steel door and handle. Wont be able to fix it in place until the wall is done, but good to have that done. Adds broken glass to my list of scattered rubbish that will need to litter the floor around the door area.

Also added a drain down pipe and grate to the floor. I left a gap under where the grate goes so that I can have some foliage growing up from beneath the grill as well as use some water effects inside to give it the right look. Plan is once the base is attached to a timber stand, I will un-level some areas around the drain, so that I can have pools of liquid forming where it didn't wash away.

Tested out how much room the bin takes up with the spilt rubbish, I think the idea at this stage is to make it as though the Clicker has knocked the bin over from the right, as Joel and Ellie move up on the left. I think it will have enough space however to repose if I feel like it which will be nice.

Glad I didn't go with the coke machine, that would have stopped anything else fitting...

Comments always welcome, let me know what you think :)

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Got my outfit for joel today. Still waiting on lots of the little things like accessories, boots etc. Slowly making progress. Very happy with how the outfit turned out, just need to hem the pants as they are a bit long. Will make a few changes to the weathering of the clothing and add some more detail to the backpack such as the taped up areas and taping the torch to the strap soon.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Re: TLOU - Joel & Ellie Vs Clicker Diorama WIP UPDATED 25/11

http://kai-studio.blogspot.sg/2013/10/survivore-85.html

I thought Kai is in the midst of making Ellie?
What do you mean? Yeah he is. But last time I spoke to him, he wasn't sure if it would be a one off for himself, or an actual release. I have purchased my obitsu body anyway regardless and will eagerly await whoever releases a good sculpt of her.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts