One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1:6 Kitbashing Junkie
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I am working on some German WW2 zombies and wanted some tips on weathering their uniforms and blooding them up. I tried leaving the uniforms in coffe for a day but did not get any results from this. I am not that experienced in painting/weathering so any tips would be helpful. Thanks in advance I hope I place this in the right topic.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Ok, here we go with a few questions you need to ask yourself first:

What are the wounds? What killed the zombie?

Were the wound(s) treated?

Did he die with his boots on outside or in bed at home/hospital?

How long ago was it since he died?

Lets start with the obvious things first:

If the corpse is old, the skin will take on a wooden dark finish as it dries out. In time, the skin will start to crack and the upper layer of the skin will start to peel off - these wounds won't bleed by the way.

Blood has a dark red colour when its fresh, but the older it is, the darker it gets, until when its really old when it turns almost black. It will never really loose the sheen though.

Also regarding blood, remember that the natural reaction to a serious non-incapacitating wound is to reach for it. This will cause the blood to smear around the wound and make the hands bloody. Again, the older the darker.

Dirt is another matter: most new dirt will collect on the shoes and unless its very wet, dry out the higher up on the legs it appears. Also remember that dirt tends to collect in crevices, especially on boots and shoes. For zombies, think about how he died - face down? More dirt on the front. On the back? More dirt on the back.

My quite fresh zombie. The blood has dried up, but not turned that dark.

This guy have lost his legs so he is crawling around - I simulated that with light dust grey, since I want him placed inside - had he been outside I would have used a dark grey to simulate water or some kind of mud.

The stumps. Quite dry. Since flesh tends to bulge over exposed bone because of swelling, I didn't include the bone pipes sticking out.

And yes. Involuntarily emptying of the bowel upon death is a real thing. Include if you want.

·
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Warge,

You gave me some things to think about in creating the german zombies.

I am doing a stop motion animation and in the story the dead troops in battle are brung back to life through a evil Nazis machine. So I wanted them weather and dirty looking no wounds then US troops run into the German zombies and shoot them.
At this point I wanted to add the blood and wounds a frame at a time by hand no CGI but through practical effects.
So they are dirty/weathered in the fields where they died and get reanimated blood and gun shot wounds put in later during the battle.
I just needed some tips on weathering and dirty up the uniforms like what type of paints or methods I can use.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Watching too many zombie movie eh Warge? Excellent evaluation, assesment and analysis, now those are real points to consider. Descriptive as it gets.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
So I wanted them weather and dirty looking no wounds then US troops run into the German zombies and shoot them.
At this point I wanted to add the blood and wounds a frame at a time by hand no CGI but through practical effects.
Corpses don't bleed...no blood pressure, you know.

Cool sounding idea, though. And, this is fun and fantasy, so have at it.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Thanks Warge,

You gave me some things to think about in creating the german zombies.

I am doing a stop motion animation and in the story the dead troops in battle are brung back to life through a evil Nazis machine. So I wanted them weather and dirty looking no wounds then US troops run into the German zombies and shoot them.
So they are dirty/weathered in the fields where they died and get reanimated blood and gun shot wounds put in later during the battle.
I just needed some tips on weathering and dirty up the uniforms like what type of paints or methods I can use.
If they start with no wounds, you should probably do some exposition on why they starved/froze/farted themselves to death, because otherwise people might start to wonder.

If you make wounds on a death body, remember that they do not, repeat no bleed. The blood will have dried up in the veins, so what you'll see is probably just flakes of blackish red blood leaking out.

Btw, is this inspired by Dead Snow by any chance? :) Totally loved that film. One of few good zombie films - and one with actual nazi zombies, who had been kind of a joke up until that film was released. Now they are almost iconic...

Finally, make a search on Youtube for stop motion and see as much as possible - you have tutorials for pretty much everything, including how to make a doll walk.

(I did play around with making a stop motion film myself, but when I realized the job involved... I found myself content with just watching those films).

Film tips for stop motion action in no particular order:

Coraline
A Nightmare Before Christmas
The Corpse Bride
ParaNorman

Special case: The LEGO Movie. Not really stop motion, but it was animated as such.

Hope it helps.

·
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Warge again more great info that I never thought about, I see Walking Dead and I wanted to do that type of bullet hits when they put a zombie down but in animation.
What gave me the idea was DAM German zombie figures I got recently and had me thinking about a stop motion which I have done before. Basically it is a spoof movie trailer which is about Lee Marvin leading another dirty half dozen to uncover and destory a top secret Nazi project and discover they are trying to create unkillable(If there is such a word) soldiers. They run into the zombie german soldiers and shoot it out w/them. I like Dead Snow too and only a half dozen because less work in animation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts