One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there aware of good tutorials on how to make 1/6 scale manhole covers for dioramas? I've been searching but haven't found anything that good as of yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
If you don't need a specific pattern or a City name etc, the lids on take out food can work great.

Just remember to be careful and only use paint that won't corrode styrofoam, or else put down a protective coating first. And styrofoam is fragile, so maybe glue something more solid on the non-visible side.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Sample pic. I don't have a done one in hand, so just imagine it as painted with a metallic paint and then weathered.

This particular lid came with Chinese food, but they come in different patterns and sizes are not standard, so you may find one more to your liking. For a manhole cover it could probably be slightly smaller, but not too much or Cap's shoulders wouldn't fit through.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts

·
Pug Lord
1,122 Posts
Sample pic. I don't have a done one in hand, so just imagine it as painted with a metallic paint and then weathered.

This particular lid came with Chinese food, but they come in different patterns and sizes are not standard, so you may find one more to your liking. For a manhole cover it could probably be slightly smaller, but not too much or Cap's shoulders wouldn't fit through.

This is excellent! Right up my alley for low buck prop.

Keep your eyes peeled for TMNT items on the EBays, seems to me they were sewer dwellers. I think manhole covers came with the toys at some point.

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
Some TMNT figures did come with manhole covers, the ones I've got have 'em as stands.
You could also look into Pringles Cans, their lids ma ybe around the right size, though would need a lot of detailing work.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Some TMNT figures did come with manhole covers, the ones I've got have 'em as stands.
You could also look into Pringles Cans, their lids maybe around the right size, though would need a lot of detailing work.
Are the manholes 1/6 scale? The only ones i know are the manhole bases of the Playmates 1987 cartoon figures.

·
My heater's broke...
1,147 Posts
Someone made a "smash kit" for the HT hulk awhile back. Came with 1/6 NYC manhole cover. Might be what youre looking for.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Odd that no one has asked what the diameter is of real manholes.....from what I've found, they can vary from 22 inches to 36 inches....so just do the math to found out what diameter they should be in 1:6 scale....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts