One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Scratchbuilder
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have this in planning status.

I have the to scale images ready to be printed. SO! What I am planning is ether use MDF board or Cardboard using Fiberglass Resin.

I might go with the cheaper way for now using the Cardboard and Fiberglass Resin. But here is my question to other builders here on the forum..

Have anyone tried using the Cardboard Fiberglass Resin trick. I have only seen it done on the Youtube for Cosplayer costumes.

Also! Where can I find Tracks and road wheels. What I was reading their similar too the M113 with one extra road wheel.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Well, you have my support and encouragement, Uswin. Back when we wargamed 1:285 scale regularly, we used a lot of NATO forces, and I liked the 430 series vehicles in pre-Warrior period, and beyond. It's every bit as fugly-beautiful as the M113 family, but is discernibly different.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
That's a mighty fine idea...ambitious, too.

I can't see any reason why the cardboard/fiberglass solution won't work. It will certainly be much lighter than MDF and stronger. Just bare in mind there will be a ton of sanding involved to get everything leveled out. And, it'll be fiberglass sanding too, which is notoriously nasty. However, if you get it into a wind tunnel of sorts (couple of pieces of plywood on the sides and one on top with a good fan on one end blowing out) it shouldn't be so bad.

Are you going to RC it?

·
Scratchbuilder
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking on doing a Static Model. But the RC ideal is in mine. That's why I looking for the M113 Tracks and wheels.

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
I would go with foam core or ABS board. A lot stronger then straight cardboard, no ribs to show through and with ABS it glues and sands very easy.

As for roadwheels and tracks...you should give us a call....

·
Registered
605 Posts
Impressive. I would really like to make something similar but as i strive for 100 % realism i would need a mechanical workshop, but my
finances (income) wont allow that. :sadshake :rolleyes

:hat

·
Registered
760 Posts
Fibreglass is messy, toxic stuff that i only use when i really have to. It's better suited to curved surfaces. I would use plasticard for this as it's mainly flat surfaces. It's much easier to work with too, and parts can be made much more accurately, as cardboard tends to distort once the resin is applied.

As for wheels and tracks, try looking at old G.I. Joe/Action Man tracked vehicles, which could be used for parts.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would recommend using sheet PVC. The kind used by sign makers. It is lightweight and fairly rigid. In thicknesses of 1/8" it is easy to cut with a sharp knife (takes a few passes) and can be glued with regular CA/superglue. You should be able to find it in various thickness at any local plastic suppliers. I've built plenty of vehicles out of it. My Land Rover was built out of 3/4" Sintra (a brand name PVC, it's particularly awful stuff). Takes paint well too.

For a static model you might try looking into Plasticpanzers/Battleground Vehicles. I know Tim has the old Desimine Hetzer tracks. He used those on his m113 prototype. They're a cost effective track option in cases like this.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
I think you could do it with straight up cardboard and not have to resin it unless you wanted to on the inside. I've done the pepakura stuff+resin for cosplay and its really necessary because usually cardstock paper is used, not cardboard.

I'm using Mat board for my LAV-25 that I scaled up using pep. It's more costly but I like to work with it and it's smooth.
I assume you'd be using free or inexpensive high quality cardboard, not the one with ribbing showing.
I used a projector to get it to kind of the right size based on measurements. I was planning to resin but honestly it's held up quite well without warping and you could always add internal ribs/support tabs to reinforce it. Or resin only the inside.

Here's Dewback Matt's cardboard BTR* (thanks Will!) and M1A1.
https://www.facebook.com/6THscaleve...oe=5523C14D&size=960,720&fbid=658365687549620
It looks like he used a ton of spot putty or bondo to even out the rough spots.
https://www.facebook.com/6THscaleve...oe=5568F462&size=640,480&fbid=642862932433229

https://www.facebook.com/6THscaleve...=5527764D&size=1600,1200&fbid=587608797958643

As far as I know Good Duck and Nakano have been the only ones to use pep to make vehicles and amusingly I think both were Miyazaki inspired works :)

Was it Panzerwerk who was producing very limited M113 sets awhile back? Maybe he could have a set of tracks still kicking around or be able to help you adapt or find something similar.

·
DO NOT READ THIS SENTENCE
2,235 Posts
Try foam board, it's a layer of foam sandwiched between two sheets of Plastikard. Strong and really lightweight, plus you can bend it with a little heat and it retains the shape.

·
Scratchbuilder
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was thinking on the CVA Form too... Pepakura paper *Poster Board* Is also what I am planning on using. *HOLY POOP! Huge Paper craft model LOL*

I do have Cardboard boxes laying around. Also got the side of this build printed up to scale. It's a HUGE APC model.

So this is going to be a long build project and I can't wait to start on it soon.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Check out "casters" at home depot for road wheels. Search Results for.casters.at The Home Depot

They look something like this and come in various sizes/styles.

Removing the metal frame, a repaint and maybe a little sanding might give you a cheap solution.

Rubbermaid Commercial Products Replacement Swivel Caster for WaveBrake 7480 and 7570 Buckets-RCP 7570-L2 - The Home Depot
Everbilt 2 in. Soft Rubber Swivel Plate Caster with 90 lb. Load Rating-49477 - The Home Depot

Next to track I think your biggest challenge will be finding a sprocket.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

·
DO NOT READ THIS SENTENCE
2,235 Posts
/\ That's good thinking, the wheels may be available on their own.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Wow!!
That will be really something to see. As someone with inside knowledge of the 432 I'm looking forward to seeing this and really hope you can pull it off.It might bring back some (happy) memories for me:wink

Best wishes to you.
:goodluck

1 - 20 of 33 Posts