One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no embarrassment or shame in visiting the "Barbie" aisle . . .

See subject.

There is some stigma when 1:6 collectors visit the Barbie aisle at retail stores to look for 1:6 bits and pieces ranging from female and/or male clothing and accessories.

Granted. the selection (and colors) are not necessarily ideal at times; however, on occasion a worthwhile find can be had.

FOR EXAMPLE . . .

The pictured Barbie accessory set is less than $3.00 USD (after sales tax) in my area. I found it at WALMART.

Why is this set significant or worthy?

Look at it closely.

A 1:6 laptop. A 1:6 smartphone/tablet. 1:6 water bottle. 1:6 plate of cookies.

The glasses are pretty much a throw away. Maybe the 1:6 cookies too due to the color or the plate. Everything else is definitely a worthwhile 1:6 prop that can be utilized for a variety of purposes.

I'm going to try and post more of such finds when able. I found a 1:6 ice cream cart for $5.00 and it comes with a generic Barbie doll, but the colors on the cart are not ideal. However, it can be salvaged and improved upon by those with the patience and skills. I didn't buy it, but I'm going to go back later on in the week.

There is no embarrassment or shame in checking out the Barbie aisle my fellow collectors. It's just a matter of making and taking the effort to look.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Re: There is no embarrassment or shame in visiting the "Barbie" aisle . . .

Nice find Chung!!!!! Never know what you'll find in the pink aisle!

·
12,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

"Never know what you'll find in the pink aisle!"
--

You've been talking to my ex?

;) :p

·
Registered
5,658 Posts

Obviously I agree fully, but IMHO the real real Barbie treasure isn't in the current retail Barbie aisle. It's flea market finds of some of the historical/geographical figures that Barbie has made over the years, particularly where it comes to females that can go with our Knights, Romans, etc and where no one in the "legit 1/6 world" made those female companions.

I posted my examples one time in the thread The Ulitmate Posable Barbie | MADE TO MOVE . . . and I'll attempt to reproduce those example pics below, but these are on Photobucket so the links may not work anymore without the "Photobucket fix app".

[/QUOTE]

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,785 Posts

i could use such a set...too bad we cant get a high quality one from a brand like fgc. the real question is...is the laptop really that good? looks a little bit glittery.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

Neat little batch of 1/6 goodies for 3 dollars, cool find, I used to like finding Ken suits for my Joes back in the day, quality is low but 5-10 dollars or so for a full outfit works for me.

·
12,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Neat little batch of 1/6 goodies for 3 dollars, cool find, I used to like finding Ken suits for my Joes back in the day, quality is low but 5-10 dollars or so for a full outfit works for me.
--

A lot of the Ken outfits are just . . . UGH.

IMHO . . . way too "metrosexual" for 1:6.

A few do make for good casual clothing. Not all, but a few.

The selection and packaging are varied between TARGET, TRU, and WALMART stores based on my observations with WALMART having the better price.

·
12,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

i could use such a set...too bad we cant get a high quality one from a brand like fgc. the real question is...is the laptop really that good? looks a little bit glittery.
--

A close up of the laptop.

It'll work well as a 1:6 prop for a 1:6 military cyber/tech ops figure.

·
OSW Member
2,257 Posts

Yep I also agree, here's a figure I had built about 4 years ago, her jacket & pants are from Ken & her cell phone is from Barbie.
-
Hosted on Fotki

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
683 Posts

Yes there is embarassment and shame but some cool stuff can be found there, so swallow your pride and go look anyway. I have two daughters so I can pretend that I am shopping for them. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts

:wink I got several outfits from the Ken line, that's the only trousers from Mattels Barbie line fashion that fit on the kind of females alot of us have. ;)

Here is a good example:

20161112_114813_zpsfwgyyfln.jpg

:hat

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts

You are right actually. The original hat for my Henry Jones was a heavily modded Fashion Fever hat and his suit was off a Henry Higgins Ken.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
260 Posts

I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of me. Action figures, dolls, creepy toys...call them what you want. I regularly browse the Barbie section of stores. The irony is that the entire 1/6 hobby owes its existence to Barbie. Hasbro created GI Joe as a boys counterpart to fill a market niche that was empty. That's spun off Action Man, Big Jim and many others. Eventually, these toys also expanded to became 'serious collectables' for grown ups thus filling more market niches. Know your history peeps. Barbie is everyone's grandma here! She's the 1/6 Eve. :wink

·
Pug Lord
1,122 Posts

Yep I also agree, here's a figure I had built about 4 years ago, her jacket & pants are from Ken & her cell phone is from Barbie.
-
Hosted on Fotki
Nice use of the parts. I, too have used Ken clothes for 1/6 females. Specifically a pair of pink tie dyed pants, they look perfect.
--

A close up of the laptop.

It'll work well as a 1:6 prop for a 1:6 military cyber/tech ops figure.
And it even has a ( relatively ) current looking simulated operating system!

Yes there is embarassment and shame but some cool stuff can be found there, so swallow your pride and go look anyway. I have two daughters so I can pretend that I am shopping for them. :)
Lucky you! I have to "project " the illusion I'm shopping for a daughter ( or son ) as I have no kids. I wonder if people can tell? :lol
Maybe it would help if I left the trench coat home?:doh

:wink I got several outfits from the Ken line, that's the only trousers from Mattels Barbie line fashion that fit on the kind of females alot of us have. ;)

Here is a good example:

View attachment 384612

:hat
You are right actually. The original hat for my Henry Jones was a heavily modded Fashion Fever hat and his suit was off a Henry Higgins Ken.

CHEERS!
--

A lot of the Ken outfits are just . . . UGH.

IMHO . . . way too "metrosexual" for 1:6.

A few do make for good casual clothing. Not all, but a few.

The selection and packaging are varied between TARGET, TRU, and WALMART stores based on my observations with WALMART having the better price.
Ken clothes do seem to work well on the 1/6 females, and the " metrosexual " look can sometimes help here. Just have to skip the shirts with "Ken" woven into the design.

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts

Yep... it is slightly embarrassing, but I do take a nonchalant casual stroll down the Barbie aisle from time to time (maybe if I had a daughter it would have felt less odd). But I can't say I have found a ton of useful stuff there, with few exceptions. DFC and Comicsrcoll and others have obviously stumbled across some great items, and inspire me to undertake more expeditions in that part of the stores. But MoonbaseAlphaMale seems to be correct, a lot of the more promising (for customizing and kitbashing) material seems to belong to past decades. I have been customizing some items of that kind and have been thinking of starting a DeBarbiefy thread.

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
683 Posts

IMO a DeBarbiefy thread is an excellent idea. Many accessories can be fixed with a simple coat of paint. I have plenty of pink, orange, and green Barbie accessories that look just fine after being spray-painted black, white, or silver. A lot of clothes look fine after being dumped into a bucket of black dye.

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts

IMO a DeBarbiefy thread is an excellent idea. Many accessories can be fixed with a simple coat of paint. I have plenty of pink, orange, and green Barbie accessories that look just fine after being spray-painted black, white, or silver. A lot of clothes look fine after being dumped into a bucket of black dye.
You are already ahead of me with the spray-paint. I bet your results are smoother than mine. As for black dye, I would be too afraid that would stain a body afterwards, but visually it would be a huge improvement on the pink.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts

Sometimes it's not even a coat of paint, but just a wash will do -- making something look weathered and more detailed. It works on silver, white, brown Barbie stuff. Of course that's not enough for all the unbearably pink stuff which needs full paint. But then the problem with painted Barbie stuff in my experience is that for some reason, it's extra vulnerable to scratches, even under a sealant. Not a problem for static display but delicate if you're playing or photoshooting.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts