One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Devils and Dust
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
..and we will be the Thunder and Lightning.

So much history and attention has been given to the Air War portion of Desert Storm. Important milestones and historical facts are often overlooked in the overall picture.

On 22 January, 1991, WEEKS before the official start of the Ground Phase, the first conventional contact between US and Iraqi forces took place. While conducting border recon missions, a platoon of Scouts from I Troop, 3rd Squadron , 3rd ACR answered a distress call from a Saudi border unit that had been ambushed by Iraqi forces. In the ensuing firefight, first blood had been drawn on both sides. The Iraqi forces were destroyed and a good many captured. Two Scouts earned the Purple Heart.

Had an old psuedo mini me DS/DS bash hanging around forever. Finally got around to upgrading and fixing it to my current abilities . I used a good variety of the manufacturers available to us.

Still not happy with the K-pot, but it is the as close as I can get it. Many of us also wore the "spall vest" that was issued as part of the CVC uniform in lieu of the normal PASGT vest. The "chicken vest" was easier to wear and move around in , especially in the Bradley , while offering a small degree of fragment protection.

Hope you like, and thanks for looking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cool deal. Looks great.

So much stuff gets forgotten when the media decides to glamorize or demoralize in it's attempt to also fall within their news hour and their own agendas. Good to know there are those willing to remember, and more importantly spread, the facts.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Hiya, Brave Rifles!

Great looking figure! Thanx for the background... these little, forgotten episodes are what actually make history. Gen Swartzkopf gets his picture in history texts, but it's stuff like this that give it body. Thanx for sharing!

Merry Christmas!

Russ
Proud son of Rose and Wes

·
Registered
254 Posts
looks great man, brings back alot of memories. you need the charcoal stains on the desert bdu's from the chemical suits. I was with the 299th engineers assigned to the 24th infantry division.

·
Devils and Dust
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More thanks folks. :cheers

Mattlocke, I hear ya bro. I swear it took me months to finally get the charcoal out of my skin. I didn't even bother trying to get it out of the uniform I had on underneath , it looked like it had been dyed black. I just burned and buried it in the Iraqi desert. :b

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.