One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I started working on this figure just before the Sci-fi contest started so it kinda fell into place. It all started with an episode of Dr.who and a sci-fi welding mask. I saw this mask on the show and thought it would be kewl to make a custom 1/6th mask based on the one in the show. The next week I got an order in of DID CS figures. One of them came with a gas mask that I thought would make a good base for the welding mask I had running around in my head. It's funny how one little piece in a tv show will get caught in the creative gears of your mind and won't let go.
So I started working on building a figure around the mask. I wanted to do two things with this figure.
1, Do a totally solo figure. No help from my sweet wife. Though I love working on most things with Laura, sometimes it's nice to do a solo project. Kind of like band members doing solo albums I guess.
2, I wanted to do this figure as low cost and low tech as I could. Basically there is not much here that any novice couldn't do or afford. Most the parts are either DID CS or 21c. The rest is all hand made. I figure you could buy all the parts for this figure for under 30 bux. Even the tires I got for the knees pads are from the dollar store and cost $1.00 each. I made both kneepads from one tire and some leather from a coat I got a resale shop.
Anyways the back story is all in the sci-fi contest thread and here are all the pix,

Thanks for looking,
Paul

·
In case of emergency....
1,997 Posts
Very nice results, Paul! I also like the fact that you got such a good looking figure without using "high dollar" parts.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you my fellow collectors and friends, The head wrap was honestly very easy to do. One of the DID CS headsculpts I got has a helmet molded to the head. So I only needed to wrap it once to get the desired effect. The wrap it's self is tea stained Lamb skin. I bought a whole pound on e-bay awhile back for $1.00 to swede loose joints. A tip when tea staining an organic material, stain it as a large piece and then cut it into strips. If you try to stain strips they will curl up on themselves.
My Waste lander isn't really done though. I have plans on making a dio to go with him. But with the up coming move I had to stop at this point to start packing my work shop up. I have plans to add a slave drawn cart for him with trade items hanging off the sides and a torn down building back ground. Also low tech items that will be made from Styrene, foam card, Styrofoam and a DID Timo repainted and dressed.
Glad you enjoy this figure,
Paul

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Calvin, Glad you like him.
I know no one has said much about it but the make shift Camel Back is an X-acto knife blade container with a piece of jelly tube glued into the hid and turned upside down. I half filled it with clear resin dyed with a little tan skin tone to give it a rusty water look.
I also cut a small hole in the bottom of his vest pouch to run the drink tube out of. The tube connects to his mask by two small magnets, one on the tube and one on the mask.

Paul

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.