One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Thomas Jane probably did the best job of playing Castle, for my money. I think his laundry day short was very satisfying. The physical preconceptions worked against him, which is too bad. I'll be watching this series, it looks promising, and Netflix operates in a bit better mindset, regarding actors and characters.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,897 Posts
Thomas Jane probably did the best job of playing Castle, for my money. I think his laundry day short was very satisfying. The physical preconceptions worked against him, which is too bad. I'll be watching this series, it looks promising, and Netflix operates in a bit better mindset, regarding actors and characters.
--

I would almost agree with you, but the filmed had issues with the story and execution along with a missed opportunity for a follow up sequel.

LAUNDRY DAY was a very good and concise short, but Jane I believe was denied a true a follow up sequel.

WAR ZONE IMHO was the best visual representation of the character that is clearly and obviously inspired by Tim Bradstreet's artwork of the character, but WAR ZONE suffered from a weak script and execution. I felt Stevenson edged out Jane in the character's depiction, but Jane is the better actor in terms of portrayal.

Bernthal's depiction/portrayal during the second season of DAREDEVIL was very good. We're going to get a worthwhile PUNISHER series that will finally exist in the MCU. The prior film adaptations going back Lundgren's depiction/portrayal are reflective of the time period when the films were released.

I hope we'll see some good story arcs from the comic series. One particular nemesis I hope to see eventually in a future season is Barracuda.

·
God Bless America
1,529 Posts
Not sure I'm ok with changing his origins again.

Why can't they stick to the comics? I don't know.
Maybe the family of a Marine caught in gang/mob crossfire/hit is too realistic and possible in real life. But a veteran and his family being tracked down by a rouge commander/operative is a bit more far-fetched and less likely.

Otherwise it looks pretty good, IMHO.

As for the movies, for me they are hard to compare considering they came out in 1989, 2004 and 2008.
Dolph played the part well.
Jane was good, even though the story wasn't great.
Ray was believable and had lots of guns, and (I think) a little more bloody than it should have been.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
The betrayal of soldiers by shadowy paramilitary types has become a standard device (among others, The Losers), I'm guessing they wanted to propel the timeline forward from the classic. I have high hopes that it will still be Castle, and the basic premise will drive thru.

If anyone wants a warm up for the mayhem, there's a good Irish film, Pilgrimage, on [edit] - hulu. It takes place in the early 13th century, and Jon Bernthal is a crusader who has found refuge in a small, isolated monastery. Similar elements (clashes of beliefs and interests, violent betrayal) are present, and the action is brutal and quite believable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts