One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DISCLAIMER

THIS THREAD IS NOT TO POST A LOOKING FOR / WANT TO BUY, ETC.

--

I've been perusing through a variety of 1:6 discussion groups lately and as usual around this time of the year I observed a number of discussions / posts from collectors attempting to acquire figures that are now hard to find / sold out . . . even those that were released this year.

For those of you seeking a hard to find / sold out figure due to you didn't have the $ at the time to buy it, you simply didn't pay attention to order it, you are new hobbyist and discovered the figure too late and really want it, etc. what is driving rationale that makes you absolutely, positively, and undeniably want to buy it?

What ultimately deters you?

Let me guess . . .

P R I C E

Based on personal observations over the years, it's always price. Then again . . . there are instances where some collectors bite the bullet and pay the secondary market price that is usually on eBay or in a variety of the swap meet section across different 1:6 boards, etc.

1:6 food for thought or not.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Price is a huge consideration, always.

For one of my Holy Grails, however, it isn't price (yet), because I simply cannot find one for sale. Period. The figure just doesn't cross my radar for sale anymore.

But I will admit, when I do someday run across one for sale, I won't buy it, because of the price.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
"Price" has two very different significances in this aftermarket scenario, and they play out very differently. One is flatly objective -- "I missed out on Figure X at $200 and I'd like one now but it simply isn't worth the $400 charged in the secondary market". The other is quite subjective, and it's about the price but not really about the money -- "I'm embarrassed to admit that I missed out on Figure X at $200, and paying $400 would be admitting that I screwed up."

It reminds me again how weird this marketplace is, and why can't manufacturers just work to make it more stable, rather than seeking a financial advantage from deliberate instability. If Home Depot was into the 1/6 hobby, it would go something like this: I know you need a Hammer today, but all the Hammers sold out last year. Now you need to pay double the cost in the aftermarket, if you can even find one. Or, you can just wait for Hammer 2.0, but it isn't coming out until (maybe) next year. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts