One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi friends
About a year ago the US Navy in jubilation over F14 , know as Tomcat .
When reading the news ocurred me to make this post like conmemoration .
The figure used is the woman pilot of BBi , an splendid figure with an good helmet .
Regards .

Thanks by looking
See you in OSW!!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Actually it was United States Navy.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:thumb
Thank you very much to all by your comments
See you in OSW!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice work, but just a little trivia the only woman F-14 pilot was killed back in the early 90's when she hit the round down of the flight deck.
A sad news. Do you have any news about the incident? . Maybe this is even this figure would be a good tribute

Thank you very much to all by your comments
See you in OSW!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was in the navy back then and worked on the catapults and arresting gear equipment, the F-14 was our TOPGUN jet but not battle proven until the raid on libya and the gulf war when she was ending her career. The big gossip was the female pilot who I don't recall her name was a political move to have a FEMALE NAVY FIGHTER PILOT so we can get more funding. anyway during routine flight ops off the coast of san diego, she came in a little low and hit the back of the ship the round down area, the bird end up in the water, it took a while to have a recovery team recover the plane and body it was in the news and the parents of the pilot were interviewed about it. it was about 1992/93

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was in the navy back then and worked on the catapults and arresting gear equipment, the F-14 was our TOPGUN jet but not battle proven until the raid on libya and the gulf war when she was ending her career. The big gossip was the female pilot who I don't recall her name was a political move to have a FEMALE NAVY FIGHTER PILOT so we can get more funding. anyway during routine flight ops off the coast of san diego, she came in a little low and hit the back of the ship the round down area, the bird end up in the water, it took a while to have a recovery team recover the plane and body it was in the news and the parents of the pilot were interviewed about it. it was about 1992/93
A tragic story, I am sorry.
I have always looked with respect to this figure but from now on.
Thanks to tell me this story .

Regards from Madrid

·
1:6 puppy
985 Posts
the bbi figure is nice...but as a 'bargain' version they left off the parachute harness(worn under the survival harness) and the 'speed jeans' g-suit.the tomcat pilot in question was lt. kara hultgreen.she didnt strike the ramp.as she was on final she was waved off as the LSO called for power...she slamed the throttle forward.f-14s were planes designed in the 60s with engines from the 50s.they dont spool up quickly...in this case one engine flamed out.she flipped inverted and ejected.her RIO got out..she punched straight into the ocean and died on impact.much has been made of the fact she was a woman...she may have even made a mistake on landing.but it was something that took better flyers before and will continue to do so.a number of women fly the 'bug'(f/a-18 series) and i think some may have flown the tomcat later.naval aviation is dangerous.when your out of airspeed,altitude and ideas,death is an equal opportunity kinda deal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.