One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject.

Snake Eyes & Scarlett from around 2000-2002.

Those were the days indeed.

Christ, I'm still alive/around.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Can't help but asking: what was so great about turn-of-the-century 1/6, that makes you sigh for it still today, after all the (very much needed) technological leaps the hobby has taken since back then? Personally, I see no reason to look back at old figures, other than nostalgia of times and people long gone, which I do feel.
Secondly: what is it about these kitbashes, that is so so alien to us?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1/6 Action Figures such as: Hot Toys, Art Figures, Enterbay, EdStar, Toys Dao, Dragon Models, etc.
68 Posts
Can't help but asking: what was so great about turn-of-the-century 1/6, that makes you sigh for it still today, after all the (very much needed) technological leaps the hobby has taken since back then? Personally, I see no reason to look back at old figures, other than nostalgia of times and people long gone, which I do feel.
Thanks.
I actually like the old era 1/6 Action figures more. Take Dragon Models 1/6, and Crazy Owners 1/6 for example:

They are old yes but, the only thing outdated is the appearance. Otherwise it's just as sturdy, (Mostly sturdier) and less expensive (even for most rare ones) then the modern brands.

I just brought Dragon Models 1/6 Wan Fei (Jay Chou) and Wan Yang (Nicholas Tse) from the Viral Factor. And they may have came out 9 years ago but they still hold up nicely. In both appearance (to me) and articulation. And even older 2002 Dragon Models 1/6 Onimusha Samanosuke, and he looks absolutely amazing.

All great figures were inspired by others. Including Old ones. Such as video games. I don't believe anything should be forgotten if it's good enough.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got to 1/6 very late in life. Wish I had seen those days....

Wikipedia explains: in the beginning there was Hasbro’s GI Joe. The 60s, then in the 70s, interest in children faded. After the 3.75” RAH periodista, the 90s das a revival, which causes the rise of the 2nd 1/6 outfit ever, 21st Century Toys. They reigned until the turn of the century, when the Chinese decided to stop being OEM: enter the.... Dragon and its inmense (and ongoing) output.

Then BBI, SsC, HT, and, well... everyone else.

Is this timeline correct? Much missing?

I can’t share in your appreciation of quality in older figures. Your fondness is though justified: they were milestones in the realization of your collecting life. That being said, I can attest to your final statement concerning the timelessness of certain figures: of course, HT’s output from the last 10 years looks timeless for the most part (that rubber body on Hellboy is so much better-looking than any Phicen!), but there are older figures that in some respect or another, haven’t been beaten yet (which could mean they will never be), and in my book that makes them timeless. Unfortunately I only know one case: Medicom’s Yoda. The sad expression on that headsculpt has yet to be defeated. Sure, paintjob on the eyes sucks, no rooted hair that’s also right, and articulation is almost non-existent, but the sculpt on that one, is good enough to be timeless.

·
12,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got to 1/6 very late in life. Wish I had seen those days....

Wikipedia explains: in the beginning there was Hasbro’s GI Joe. The 60s, then in the 70s, interest in children faded. After the 3.75” RAH periodista, the 90s das a revival, which causes the rise of the 2nd 1/6 outfit ever, 21st Century Toys. They reigned until the turn of the century, when the Chinese decided to stop being OEM: enter the.... Dragon and its inmense (and ongoing) output.

Then BBI, SsC, HT, and, well... everyone else.

Is this timeline correct? Much missing?

I can’t share in your appreciation of quality in older figures. Your fondness is though justified: they were milestones in the realization of your collecting life. That being said, I can attest to your final statement concerning the timelessness of certain figures: of course, HT’s output from the last 10 years looks timeless for the most part (that rubber body on Hellboy is so much better-looking than any Phicen!), but there are older figures that in some respect or another, haven’t been beaten yet (which could mean they will never be), and in my book that makes them timeless. Unfortunately I only know one case: Medicom’s Yoda. The sad expression on that headsculpt has yet to be defeated. Sure, paintjob on the eyes sucks, no rooted hair that’s also right, and articulation is almost non-existent, but the sculpt on that one, is good enough to be timeless.
--

Don't believe anything/everything in Wikipedia like believing/trusting anything/everything the government tells its citizens (illegal and legal) about whatever.

·
12,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.
--

Let's see.

BEGINS RANT

The 1:6 hobby back then was simpler.

We could buy 1:6 stuff retail on store shelves.

1:6 collectors back then were not the major @$$h***s they are nowadays. Some were, but they proliferated like an awful smelly fart in a 8X8 enclosed space.

A kid could afford to buy some 1:6 stuff with his allowance/money earned and get some cool stuff.

None of us had to deal with the bulls*** that is HOT TOYS.

Social media wasn’t rampant back then.

We had a fair number of 1:6 vendors thriving back in the day.

Not everything 1:6 was tied to a licensed property.

Women (see below) were still real instead of the insane level of fake they are nowadays. I know this is not 1:6, but I couldn't help myself.

Reactions: The Fool

·
Registered
1/6 Action Figures such as: Hot Toys, Art Figures, Enterbay, EdStar, Toys Dao, Dragon Models, etc.
68 Posts
--

Let's see.

BEGINS RANT

1:6 collectors back then were not the major @$$h***s they are nowadays. Some were, but they proliferated like an awful smelly fart in a 8X8 enclosed space.

A kid could afford to buy some 1:6 stuff with his allowance/money earned and get some cool stuff.

Women (see below) were still real instead of the insane level of fake they are nowadays. I know this is not 1:6, but I couldn't help myself.

View attachment 455875
Yeah you are extremely right about availability. It's crazy that a Hong Kong business is the best business when it comes to 1/6 authentic likeness, which apparently makes it the best.

I admit Hot Toys does make there 1/6 figures look really detailed, and they have approved alot. But in terms of how much they can go out has not improved as much. They could do way more creative stuff when it comes to them. Especially in accessories. Mostly item is always plastic, but just nicely sculpted. Where as Enterbay may charge a premium, but there quality is really authentic and top notch. Yeah Enterbay is actually amazing to me because of how much attention to detail they pay. Definitely my favorite 1/6 company even doe they are so high priced.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I admit Hot Toys does make there 1/6 figures look really detailed, and they have approved alot. But in terms of how much they can go out has not improved as much.
You should search this site for when Hot Toys produced some of their first figures and the reaction to them. Here are some that I can recall:
  1. Over scaled
  2. Cheaply Made
  3. Flimsy material
  4. Bodies copied from BBI
  5. Extremely breakable
  6. Poorly Designed
Now they're deemed the finest 1/6 Corporations on the market. And all the others that were deemed the finest 1.6 manufactures then are long gone...my have times changed

·
Registered
68 Posts
You should search this site for when Hot Toys produced some of their first figures and the reaction to them. Here are some that I can recall:
  1. Over scaled
  2. Cheaply Made
  3. Flimsy material
  4. Bodies copied from BBI
  5. Extremely breakable
  6. Poorly Designed
Now they're deemed the finest 1/6 Corporations on the market. And all the others that were deemed the finest 1.6 manufactures then are long gone...my have times changed
You're absolutely right. It's a shame. Newer things are never as good as the Old in many ways. But the difference is, the Old always gets forgotten. While the New prevails.

·
Registered
99 Posts
--

Don't believe anything/everything in Wikipedia like believing/trusting anything/everything the government tells its citizens (illegal and legal) about whatever.
Wikipedia entries are reliable and based upon sources you can check. For non-controversial stuff like Tech or 1/6, it is extremely reliable.
And that comes from someone who trusts no one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
--

Let's see.

BEGINS RANT

View attachment 455875
I can’t just accept simpler things being better just per se. I wish I could, bit things are not.... that simple.

As a kid I enjoyed the big temples of retail and their dynamics as much as anyone else, but at the end of the day, buying more for less is paramount. Hence, online retail is a good thing.

I only use social media as the huge and mighty marketplace it is. When you want to buy or sell, it is such a blessing.

I can’t see why licences are a problem. Lots of military/historical figures are released on a monthly bases, which are not attached to any licence. Licences just enrich the landscape.

HT has made historical contributions to 1/6: their Truetype body and taking accuracy really seriously (neck to neck w/ Enterbay), would be the 2 most important ones, in my view. For those 2 things and more, I cherish them, and can’t understand the hatred against them. Figure issues? Sure they have them, but everyone else does too. There is still room for improvement within the hobby as a whole both in terms of headsculpt accuracy and material durability, but that’s to be expected in every domain, right? We are just one more 1/6 generation away from perfection, I believe.

Ever escalating prices: well these days there are expensive figures ($100-$200), very expensive figures ($200-$400), and unaffordable customs ($400 and upwards). Then there are old 2nd hand figures that can be had for lower prices (less than $100). There is still something for all walks of life, isn’t there?

Thriving manufacturers: never more than today. HT, Asmus, Star Ace, Threezero/3A, Coomodel, Pop Toys, Flagset, Soldier Story, Dam Toys, Art Figures, Virtual Toys, Sideshow, Veryhot, Verycool, and much more. Many of them are here to stay, each one innovating in their own market segment. Manufacturer-wise, things look great. Don’t you guys think?

In summary: I fundamentally disagree with your views except for one, namely, people being ****. My experiences on the SSF boards are nightmarish, with a big bunch of scummbags reinign supreme over there, forcing their ideas down your throat and ridiculising you if you don’t happen to share them. Worst of all: don’t count on mods. They can be highly arbitrary.

It is rare to find kind, reasonable, mentally flexible beings these days, ready to question their own ideas and prejudices. An awful great many seem to be a frustrated ******* of one kind or another, dead sure that they and their friends hold The Truth in their hands, instead of trying to reach a deeper/wider truth by discussing it with others. It is a shame.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Thriving manufacturers: never more than today. HT, Asmus, Star Ace, Threezero/3A, Coomodel, Pop Toys, Flagset, Soldier Story, Dam Toys, Art Figures, Virtual Toys, Sideshow, Veryhot, Verycool, and much more. Many of them are here to stay, each one innovating in their own market segment. Manufacturer-wise, things look great. Don’t you guys think?
I wouldn't put Soldier Story as thriving these days. More like the reclusive uncle that pops his head in for a quick get together and then disappears for the next year.

·
12,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I can’t just accept simpler things being simpler just per se. I wish I could, bit things are not.... that simple.

As a kid I enjoyed the big temples of retail and their dynamics as much as anyone else, but at the end of the day, buying more for less is paramount. Hence, online retail is a good thing.

I only use social media as the huge and mighty marketplace it is. When you want to buy or sell, it is such a blessing.

I can’t see why licences are a problem. Lots of military/historical figures are released on a monthly bases, which are not attached to any licence. Licences just enrich the landscape.

HT has made historical contributions to 1/6: their Truetype body and taking accuracy really seriously (neck to neck w/ Enterbay), would be the 2 most important ones, in my view. For those 2 things and more, I cherish them, and can’t understand the hatred against them. Figure issues? Sure they have them, but everyone else does too. There is still room for improvement within the hobby as a whole both in terms of headsculpt accuracy and material durability, but that’s to be expected in every domain, right? We are just one more 1/6 generation away from perfection, I believe.

Ever escalating prices: well these days there are expensive figures ($100-$200), very expensive figures ($200-$400), and unaffordable customs ($400 and upwards). Then there are old 2nd hand figures that can be had for lower prices (less than $100). There is still something for all walks of life, isn’t there?

In summary: I fundamentally disagree with your views except for one, namely, people being ****. My experiences on the SSF boards are nightmarish, with a big bunch of scummbags reinign supreme over there, forcing their ideas down your throat and ridiculising you if you don’t happen to share them. Worst of all: don’t count on mods. They can be highly arbitrary.

It is rare to find kind, reasonable, mentally flexible beings these days, ready to question their own ideas and prejudices. An awful great many seem to be a frustrated *** of one kind or another, dead sure that they and their friends hold The Truth in their hands, instead of trying to reach a deeper/wider truth by discussing it with others. It is a shame.
--

I don't mind and are open to discussion/debate of opposing views . . . provided it's not equal to "accept my view and FU!".

That kind of mindset I would respond using a baseball bat if I ever encounter such in person.

With that said, I believe you have fair and valid points as well in varying nuances.

Though when the issue of whether what is actually bulls*** is questioned (you say it's bulls*, but I say it's not bulls* when it actually it's truly bulls*), then it becomes more problematic. You know. Like the bulls*** @ SSF (now CF) from the good old bad days when things were really and truly bad.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wouldn't put Soldier Story as thriving these days. More like the reclusive uncle that pops his head in for a quick get together and then disappears for the next year.
Fair enough.

BTW guys:

“I can’t just accept simpler things being simpler “——->”I can’t just accept simpler things being better”

Silly me....

·
12,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fair enough.

BTW guys:

“I can’t just accept simpler things being simpler “——->”I can’t just accept simpler things being better”

Silly me....
--

WELL . . .

It's like being stranded on an deserted island with a troupe of beautiful, exotic, feminine ladyboys.

Sooner or later . . . "simplicity" makes its way. It doesn't mean it's better.

I know.

Warped example, but still a valid example.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts