One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never knew this film even existed when it came out. I was only 10 years old and too busy seeing ET three times that summer.

I wasn't until years later that I saw it and fell in love with this film.

The definitive movie that spawned every great visual in every great move that has followed it, Blade Runner looks better than most sci-fi films do today.

Ridley Scott is a visionary. A brilliant, brilliant visionary.

And why am I talking about this? Because it's on DVD and it's remastered and it's more beautiful that ever.

If you ever had to sit through the version with the voice over, then I pity you because the version is NOT Blade Runner.

No, Blade Runner is a cerebral movie open to so much interpretation. It is a visual feast that-- unlike so many fast-paced sci-fi movies today-- invites the viewer to soak up every marvelous, awe inspiring moment. It showcases an awe-inspiring vision of the future and allows you to take the moments you need to feel like you're actually living in it with the characters.

You must buy this DVD. You must own this movie. If you can not be a super-huge sci-fi art geek like myself and spend 100 bucks on the box set with FIVE versions of the movie-- then buy the 2-disk set. It's only 15 bucks at Wal-Mart!

It's worth it just for the 2+ hour behind-the-scenes documentary alone! But, of course, there is Ridley Scott's definitive, remastered and oh-so beautiful print, as well!!! With a commentary track from Scott!!!!

Buy it, buy it, buy it! This movie is the father of all modern sci-fi film making!!!!!!

·
Space Monkey
2,315 Posts
Thanks for that Sprawl-Mart heads up, I don't know if I can spend the hundee on 5 DVD's. I just watched my directors cut version last week, and was amazed at how high tech it was for that day and age. I just noticed your b-day, mine is May 6 '71! I too was busy watching ET back then, and this has become one of my faves.

·
Custom User Title
2,594 Posts
I love the voiceover version
reminds me of a 1930's crime noir
I got the boxed set last week and have watched 2 of the 4 versions
one of the best movies ever

·
aNYthing
3,801 Posts
I bought the 4 disk version and
I actually think the picture quality on the older versions (included in the 4 disc set) look better than Ridleys prefered version.
I think they did some heavy handed digital color manipulation that kinda make the film darker lookin, to me at least.
Its still great to have all versions now tho.

Also recommend:
The newly released Kubrick '2001' DVD picture quality STUNNED me more than the new Blade Runner final cut PQ.

·
In case of emergency....
1,997 Posts
My wife and I were trying to decide whether to get this. Still not sure....

I remember going to see Blade Runner in the theatre that summer and it had a profound impact on me. I was a huge fan for many years and, although I think I'm somewhat more sober in my assesment of it today, it is still an amazing piece of work.

I know that the "voice over version" was never popular with many fans and certainly not Scott or Ford. Still, for me, that is THE version of Blade Runner, along with its sappy-ish hopeful ending. That was the version that blew me away and shook my view as a kid in 1982. The other versions are interesting and I appreciate them but I don't see them as more true or more definative than the original cinema release.

I'll probably have to at least rent this version at some point and I appreciate John taking the time to post a review here.

·
I got you "covered" ! (OSW Staff)
5,758 Posts
It was the very first movie I ever watched on VHS with My Surround -Sound!!!

·
Lurker .... or somefin
5,301 Posts
I bought my older brother the Limited Edition Super Cool Briefcase Edition of Blade Runner for Christmas... he was pleased to say the least.

I just bought the same edition for myself only on HD-DVD.

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
I received the super special 5-6 disc HD boxed set for Christmas, and as soon as I buy a HD DVD player I'll be all over this. Bladerunner is without question my favorite movie of all time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
These are some pretty hefty endorsements. They carry quite a bit of weight, considering the sources.

The only version I've ever seen is the original one (whichever that may be), and I always thought it was a pretty decent work.

I guess I'll be re-checking this one out.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
USMCCHET92_96 said:
I love the voiceover version
reminds me of a 1930's crime noir
Thank you Chet! I agree 100%

I saw Bladerunner at the perfect time in the perfect place at the perfect age. My dad was living in NYC at the time, and I was a 13 year old kid from the burbs of So.Cal. That year I traveled cross country on Greyhound to visit dear old dad. One night he took me to see Bladerunner at a theater in mid town. The movie blew my mind, I wanted to be Deckard, I wanted to be a replicant, I wanted a flying car and a bad ass hand canon. That movie juiced my imagination more then any movie other then Star Wars and Heavy Metal (I think I saw Heavy Metal that same summer).

When the film was over we walked out of the theater into mid town on a hot, sticky and rainy New York night. It felt like a continuation of the movie. The old art deco buildings of Manhattan, the neon, the rain, the traffic and all the people that crowd Midtown... I think back on that and it still makes me say wow.

I think the building where Deckard and Roy have their show down is a protected land mark in L.A., I think it's called the Baxter Building. The Outerlimits episode "The Glass Hand" was also shot there. Been by it once, heard a rumor you could take a tour.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Special/visual effects supervisor Douglas Trumbull certainly had some impressive work under his belt when he did Blade Runner. Prior to Blade Runner, he worked as a special effects supervisor on a plethora of groundbreaking SciFi films: 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Andromeda Strain, Close Encounters, Star Trek: The Motion Picture and also Silent Running, which he also produced and directed.

He was nominated for Academy Awards for Blade Runner, Close Encounters and Star Trek, but never won. He did take home a golden statuette in 1993 for his technical contributions with an Oscar for Scientific and Engineering Concept.

Blade Runner lost to ET, Star Trek to Alien and Close Encounters to a little film called Star Wars.

Blade Runner was his crowning achievement in special/visual effects and his last film as a special effects supervisor. He went on to direct some shorts and an IMAX experience film based on Back to the Future.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I love the last part where Deckard picks up origami and smiles. I had to watch it a few times and search the net to understand the ending and it's a very sad, fitting end. Never get tired of good movies.

·
S o u l
150 Posts
Visually

I love how the wide shots of the city seem more REAL to me than the BEST CGI effects available today.........Truly groundbreaking and mesmerizing.

Here is my homage to a science fiction masterpiece.

Attachments

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lomax0000 said:
I love the last part where Deckard picks up origami and smiles. I had to watch it a few times and search the net to understand the ending and it's a very sad, fitting end. Never get tired of good movies.
I think that was his accepting "so be it" moment both about himself (did he also suspect his possible origins? "How can it not know what it is?") and about his and Rachel's (possibly short) future.

It's moments like that one that make me love this movie so much. There are people who will argue to their last breath that Dekard is or isn't a Replicant.

The voice-over just runis this kind of subtlety for me. It takes away the audience's involvement in the film and instead just lays it all out at their feet and says "THIS is what it is." (Although it's worth seeing with the VO just once to get a little extra info and back story on some of the other characters.)

And the "riding off into the sunset" ending....? :razz :razz :razz

Ending on the elevator closing-- now THAT'S the ending!

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lost said:
I love how the wide shots of the city seem more REAL to me than the BEST CGI effects available today.........Truly groundbreaking and mesmerizing.

Here is my homage to a science fiction masterpiece.
That headsculpt is really awesome. Where'd you get it? And if you painted it yourself-- then bravo!!! It looks amazingly life-like!!!!!

·
S o u l
150 Posts
GrenadierStinny said:
That headsculpt is really awesome. Where'd you get it? And if you painted it yourself-- then bravo!!! It looks amazingly life-like!!!!!
It is a Japanese company called "CRM"(only 100 made) I collected parts and repainted the headsculpt.

The same company also produced "Clockwork Orange" figures, and "The Shining"

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lost said:
It is a Japanese company called "CRM"(only 100 made) I collected parts and repainted the headsculpt.

The same company also produced "Clockwork Orange" figures, and "The Shining"
Ohhhhh... Yes, I remember that company. I was going to buy the Alex figure a few years back at Comic-Con, but I still want to make a custom one myself. (The one they did wasn't good enough for what they were asking for it.)

You did a real bang-up job painting up that headsculpt. You should post more of your works (and this one) in the General Discussion area. I'm sure other people would enjoy it, too.

·
Custom User Title
2,594 Posts
Sideshow needs to get the Blade Runner license
that would rock

·
Part-Time Action Hero
1,762 Posts
The voice-over was intentionally crappy and forced, Ford said so himself because he hated it, and for that reason I can't stand hearing it.

It's like the first time someone ever pointed out that George Clooney's acting method is palsy, and I couldn't watch "Dusk Til Dawn" ever again...

Plus I've got to admit, despite pulling a "Lucas", the "Final Cut" of Blade Runner is the superior, definitive version.

Check it out if you haven't already.

·
Registered
220 Posts
i got the deluxe briefcase version for christmas, and as a collector of DVDs, owning hundreds of them, it is hands down the best money-to-content ratio of any DVD or set i own. if you enjoyed this film, even in the smallest, you are cheating yourself by not getting it.

contrary to reports on this thread, it is *not* $100, the 5-disc set is about $30-40 for DVD, HD, or Blue-Ray. the collector's briefcase is only for the hardcore fan, as it comes with "lobby cards", lenticular frame, and a Spinner model. if you don't need the kipple, then skip the briefcase.

the final cut itself is beautiful, some of the scenes choices are a little strange if you've been watching the movie all these years (my uncle gave me a VHS bootleg of it in '85, 86- i was 7 and loved both the movie and the book even if i didnt completely understand it!)

just to note these little details about the set, if you don't own it, or some tidbits:

- if the FINAL CUT or DANGEROUS DAYS Documentary look too dark, it is probably the contrast & brightness controls on your TV. I've seen it now on regular and HD displays, as well as regular PAL R2 DVD, and i had use some color bars and re-align my US regular TV as it looked too dark at first. It honestly is the only DVD i've even owned where this made a *big* difference in picture quality (the other versions were fine and looked normal)

- the 5-disc version is *definetly* the way to go. if you miss seeing the "workprint" version, even if you only see it once, you are doing yourself a great disservice. it is really like watching a different longer version of the film, lots of new shots and detail.

- the ENHANCEMENT ARCHIVE dvd has a deleted scenes section which was a little tough for me to find in the menu, and my friend didnt even know that it was there to begin with due to the way the menus are structured on that disc. Select "play all" as the scenes play out as a little alternate short-version of the film! its really cool i promise.

- contrary to the press releases, the FINAL CUT is not that different from the directors cut of the 90s. there are a few shots and scenes which are added, and a few different takes and edits of some scenes which may have some fans cry LUCAS! (there is a new way Deckard's Unicorn dream is introduced and edited that seems a little strange at first and i've read people complaining about.) but fear not, its really quite good and 100% worth buying this set even if you own other versions on DVD. i own the Criterion laserdisc, both 2006 and 1990's directors cuts, and the Workprint on VHS so i really didnt need to buy this set, but its totally worth it.

- i also got the Kubrick remasters as well (2001's reissue is a tough one to beat!) and i'd have to say the quality of Blade Runner HD really blows it out of the water.

- the colors might look strange on the Final Cut, but it's because the film has been shown in an incorrect color scheme for years! The city now has a more "painting-like" atmosphere from the remastering of the effects and i really like it so much more. This was also the case with ALIENS (the monsters were actually more brown!), MAD MAX (its a lot more colorful then US theatrical prints and the TV versions shown in the 80s!)

the 5-disc set is dispearing from shelves fast (in my area its hasnt been in stock since its release! completely sold out!) but the $15 2-disc is plentiful. Dont cheap out on this one, get the 5-disc and never have to buy Blade Runner ever again. its that good.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.