One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Part-Time Action Hero
1,762 Posts
Yeah this really is [email protected]#$%---when I jumped on the site to order the ANH Luke and saw the price I got so pi$$ed off that I deleted some more of my orders.

The main thing that worries me, is I absolutely won't be able to resist the oncoming Indiana Jones wave, and I think SS knows that most people are like me in that respect, so I'm afraid we might be paying $100+ a pop for those babies.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
prices are up and quality is down all over the place lately,myself ive been buying less and less as of late because of it.im looking forward to barrack sarges northern ireland para,the ignite ninjas,some star wars,but i just cant payout a 100 plus for one figure. i was gonna buy the dml 101st m.p. but they used that resin crap on the head sculpt,people are already bitching about paint rubs,the newest ignite roman with the helmet that doesnt fit!!! the hobby is getting to rich for my middle class blood. i so wish i could go to a toy r us and buy three boxed 21c figures loaded with gear and a carded uniform set for a 100 bucks and still enough loot left to stop at starbucks for a coffee for the ride home

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I suppose there's also a demand from individuals who will pay these prices not because they are involved in onesix, but from a SW fan/investor-trader/"that one just caught my eye" approach. Head scale, paint apps, clothing and gear detail, articulation and the like may not mean that much to them.

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The prices are going up and the numbers are going down. See if you notice a trend....

Jedi Luke - 6,500 pcs. made
Anakin Skywalker - 7,000 pcs. made
Qui-Gon Jin - 7,500 pcs. made
Obi-Wan Kenobi - 7,500 pcs. made
Kit Fisto - 5,000 pcs. made
Darth Maul - 9,000 pcs. made
Mace Windu - 7,500 pcs. made
ESB Han Solo - 8,000 pcs. made
Endor Rebel Soldier (non-exclusive) - 4,500 pcs. made
Plo Koon - 5,500 pcs. made
Leia as Boushh - 6,500 pcs. made
ANH Princess Leia - 5,000 pcs. made
ESB Luke Skywalker - 5,000 pcs. made
ANH Ben Kenobi - 5,000 pcs. made
Padme' in Ilum Mission gear - 3,500 pcs. made
Imperial Officer (SS exclusive) - 3,000 pcs. made

They're selling about 1/3 less than they used to, so now we have to pay about 1/3 more than we used to.

·
Jawa
1,593 Posts
It is definitely getting ridiculous. I fail to see how Farmboy Luke is worth $20 more than Jedi Luke.

At least most of Hasbro's 12" line is still pretty cheap. Some of those figures were great (considering the price) - many only require a body upgrade to fit perfectly (in my opinion) with Sideshow pieces.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't want to get dragged into if SS figures are worth it or not. All I can say from knowing the business side of things is this: All prices are going up. Pick up a business paper and see what is happening in China. Labor rates have doubled in the past year, transportation costs have gone through the roof, plastic is an oil product. Oh, and by the way, the US dollar is in the ****ter (meaning, Chinese factories want more of them due to the poor exchange.) Dragon is now at a $55 SRP for what a year ago was $40, DiD just hit a $75 retail. All the smaller makers are at $80+. Like I said, I don't want to get into what is worth it and what is not, just that SS price increases are well within what is going on in the industry. Get used to it. There is no relief in sight. Just be glad you don't collect die cast. Prices there have gone up like 30% or so. The era of getting awesome detailed stuff for $40 is over. Expect an average figure price to be $60-$70 and loaded figures to be around $100.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
i understand why the prices are up,im just getting priced right out of this hobby.how many 100 dollar figures will people actually buy i wonder,i already picked up an alien and a predator.ill spend the loot for the sideshow emperor/palptine double figure set,but otherwise,i see more loose parts buys then anything else for me.100 bucks is just to much loot me thinks

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
There's no doubt that Brady is right. He's hit on every point that's increasing the cost of this hobby across the board.

We're a small hobby. The fact that we even have this much product at our disposal on a regular basis is almost a miracle in itself.

While people (who don't know about the hobby) see my collection for the first time are always amazed and immediately interested in it, they always ask the same question: "where do you get this stuff?" I think that shows just how little people know about our hobby and how small our hobby really is-- especially when compared to other collecting hobbies.

Irish then opens up the next part of the conversation: Will people eventually get priced right out of the hobby?

It's not a "doom and gloom" thought-- or a question to get people screaming about the sky falling-- but it is an natural and obvious question.

There's more product available now that ever in the history of this hobby. But it's also selling at the highest prices ever. Can this already tiny market continue to support this trend?

We could use growth-- not shrinkage. The only way to keep this level of product coming our way from all these many companies-- and on such a regular basis-- is to have the money flowing into the market to support it.

A long-standing mainstay company-- and favorite of many-- has already left 1/6 almost completely due to high cost of R&D and manufacturing vs. the money to be made from such a small customer base. Of course, I'm talking of bbi.

And what about the company that got most of us into this hobby in the first place, 21st Century Toys? Gone from 1/6 ages. Hell, even Hasbro doesn't really produce 1/6 military anymore.

If we're going to be a part of this hobby-- we need to be aware of it. We need to know where it's going and what part we're going to play in its direction, for better or worse.

100 bucks a figure has almost become the norm'. I know plenty of people who only have 100 bucks a week in their budget to live on after rent and bills and so on...

While the companies are doing what they must to continue giving us what we want, are they also slowly alienating that same customer base by pricing them right out of the hobby? Are they deconstructing the customer base at the same time they're trying to sustain it?

I guess only the future holds the answer to these questions. I'm still along for the ride, I hope to see you all along the way, too.

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
And now for the "other" news.

Brady you do indeed make some fine points, yes sir you do. All I can say to that is....Yeah, and so what? To much for to little regardless of reasoning is still a bad deal. Just because we add a framework of logic to the mix doesn't in anyway change the simple fact that some figs are overpriced for what they deliver. Period.

I'll retire back to my cave now and leave the rest of this thread to smart people.

Clay

·
Part-Time Action Hero
1,762 Posts
I think the stuff from Very Hot Toys dismisses the theory that it's costing them more to make this crap, so they have to charge more for it. You slap an $8 body onto one of those $55 Very Hot sets and you have a figure every bit as nice as a $120 Hot Toys figure.

It's fueled by greed, plain & simple, and it's time everyone went Dee Snyder on their [email protected]@es and told em "we're not gonna take it!"

sorry for the eighties outburst there...

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Ashton16 said:
I think the stuff from Very Hot Toys dismisses the theory that it's costing them more to make this crap, so they have to charge more for it. You slap an $8 body onto one of those $55 Very Hot sets and you have a figure every bit as nice as a $120 Hot Toys figure.
I'm gonna have to disagree with that one.

Very Hot is a HK knock-off company. They steal other company's pre-existing molds and patterns and have the factories that do HT's stuff make extra stuff for them.

This is HUGE business in HK. They have a whole section downtown that sells nothing but knock-off products.

And the quality is not as good as HT. The stuff I've seen is poorly made. VH has no idea about military stuff. They're not like HT, who do R&D and legitimately create new product.

Companies like that hurt the hobby because they hurt the companies they steal from and, because of that, I do not and will not support them.

G

·
Yup. Oil is at an all time high, so it is no longer us motorists feeling it. (Currently $9.70 a gallon for diesel in UK) it is also manufacturing companies. I got it from action-figure.com that Sideshow have said due to this, their production has tripled in cost since they started.

Totally not helpful for us who end up forking out more! And I do agree that the new Luke, although he looks good, should come with a lot more, considering HT can make so much more for their costs.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
im saving my pennies for some barrack sarge,and some sideshow,but thats about it these days. i just cant justify 120 dollars for one hot-toys figure,i wish i could but i cant. i love my d.i.d. world war 2 figures,but at 75 bucks each,i just cant justify it.

·
In case of emergency....
1,997 Posts
Ashton16 said:
It's fueled by greed, plain & simple, and it's time everyone went Dee Snyder on their [email protected]@es and told em "we're not gonna take it!"

sorry for the eighties outburst there...
I'd love to address this in more detail but time is a bit limited this morning, so....
This is the time of year that these discussions surface on hobby message boards. Someone always announces that, regardless of other cost factors, the bottom line is that the companies are just greedy.

And to some extent, that is correct!

But let me ask, aren't MOST of us "greedy"? Don't most of us want to maximize our reward while minimizing our effort or out-put? Don't we want to determine what our own "fair share" is? Well, those companies are run by people just like you and me and not only do they wish to maximize reward but honestly, they have an obligation to do so. They have to pay employees, vendors and service providers at whatever the going rate is. If they have investors, they have to make an honest effort to reward those investors.
An examples:

Let's say you had a pretty decent job for $10 an hour in an area where that was considered pretty good pay. A "living wage", if you will. You have a great boss, a good work environment and a 2-mile trip to work. Now, I open a business in the next town and I have to hire people with similar skills to what you use in your present job. It's a longer drive, say 5 miles, the work is a bit harder and the hours longer but I need people like you NOW. I offer you $20 an hour, understanding that you have to leave your current good job and face a longer commute, longer hours and more demanding work. Do you accept? You can offer the same services to another employer for more money but it requires some more effort on your part. If you run the numbers and decide I'm offering you a better deal, welcome to the "Greedy Club".

Sorry to cut this short but I gotta run. Be back later.

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you wanna buy a HT Figure in Germany you must pay 120-130 Euro , that´s now in us $ 175 -190 . That is very expensive (for me) and not worth. Fortunately you can buy that stuff loose in us / uk / hk . Or boxed figures and you must pay custom duties.

Would you buy HT for that price ?

·
Registered
220 Posts
i was waiting for the ANH Solo and Luke to decide whether i should start collecting this line, and i am SO SO glad i didn't. If ANH Luke was $50 i would have bought a TON of these figures, but at $70 and rising, i can't justify getting this.

how can anyone honestly say that Sideshow's price increase on ANH Luke is anything other than straight up greed? c'mon. They clean up on statues and other figures.

has there *really* been any improvements on any of these figures since the price started to crawl up? Inflation and costs aside, does anyone honestly believe that it warrants $20 per piece price increase?

companies seem to need to have a huge profit margin, hense the large amount of re-use SS has, you can't honestly say they've changed anything other than the head sculpts and costumes most of the time, with the hands and body being the same for every release.

i could totally see this coming, i passed on the SW figures, but i still get some their figures from time to time (The Dead line is the only one i really feel has the right price vs. value from them, the paint work is top notch, box art nice, extras nice, and the costumes are nice. all around nice. Except for the 1st one, PATIENT ZERO- what a rip-off that guy was.)

they could make 10,000 or 5,000 of each figure, still charge $50-55, and still make a killing. The only reason some figures don't sell out is obscure character, or highly-rumored bad QC. The lowering of edition sizes is obviously just to keep the line "hot" in collector's minds. The secondary spec market (aka "scalpers") for SW is huge, there are literally thousands of people who buy SW stuff only to sell it on eBay for more $$$. It's safe to assume that there are probably about 6,000 - 8,000 people who are hard-core collecting this line every release, so why make less than demand unless you're trying to make an artificial drought of product to drum up press and buisness. when something is SOLD OUT it makes it artificially desirable, you always want what you can't have.

all i have to say to Sideshow is if you REALLY want to clean up, start offering carded STAR WARS headsculpt and costume sets. Even re-releasing the older figures like Episode IIIs, you'll clean up. There are thousands of collectors who would picke them up. Heck, just re-release any military figure as a carded head and costume set and you'll clean up.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Mlatch221 you said it well, you said it true and you said it short. Wish I could do as well.

You know folks we CHOOSE to participate in this hobby. We also CHOOSE to purchase or not. What you buy or don't will change things the most (but help the manufacturer with a note so he takes it the right way and just doesn't abandon the line).

Its going to get more expensive. Personally I would pay MORE if I could get it made here vesus China but we've forced ourselves out of that with wage control, OSHA regulations and PC out of control (notice all the US made toys are cute little wood toys to "inspire" the young creative mind).

If the hobby is too expensive maybe one is in the wrong hobby? I personally like cars but can't afford the dozen I want. I don't complain about how expensive Corvette's are. TOO many folks want a corvette at a mustang's price. Nothing wrong with mustangs. Best bang for the buck in the sportscar market I think.

A pet peeve of mine is bringing up a problem with no solution. I think this is the same definition goes for whining.

My solution...

Go into business for yourself. Make what YOU want to see at the QUALITY you are willing to accept. Not going to do that? Then quit beating up those mean, greedy unappreciative plastic crack manufacturers that take ALL the risk, PAY for all the business costs and sometimes try and make us happy. Buy or don't buy is the only question otherwise suck it up and drive on hero.

Don't take this personal, its not meant to be. OSW is GREAT! The hooby is bigger and offers more than ever before but I just read too much negativity out there and its especially sharp from some.

·
359 Posts
Star Wars merchandise typically only sells well when a movie is about or just been released. I had to stop buying boxed figures when bbi stopped putting out regular released sets. I have to do everything loose now.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
There's companies that make money to make products and companies that make products to make money.

I'm a big fan of a knife manufacturer known as "Spyderco". They make high end folders and fixed blade knives. You average Spyderco knife costs around $50-70 and is just about the best in quality you can get in non-custom knives. Benchmade on the other hand averages more in the range of $70-130. They aren't any nicer than Spyderco's product and they move a lot more product that Spyderco does.

Spyderco's CEO, founder, and lead designer Sal Glesser often posts on not just the official Spyderco forums but other knife forums as well. He's always excited about new products, really listens to the knife community and offers plenty of answers to questions as best he can. Sal Glesser doesn't make knives to make money. Sal Glesser makes money so he can make more knives.

I'm saying all this because increasingly I feel that Sideshow makes collectables to make money. They don't make money to make collectables. I feel less like I'm dealing with a company that's passionate about their product and puts it out there for the best price possible and more like I'm dealing with a company that is just going through the motions to keep the money flowing in.

I could be totally wrong and probably am but that's just the way I feel.

Oh and this may be of interest to some. When Sal was asked about the costs of chinese made products versus other countries he actually answered. I did not expect and answer. The numbers are pretty telling but as he says, not all products are possible to be made in all countries. China for example is just not up to making the sort of products Spyderco normally makes and they don't have access to the same high end steels.

Hi Huugh,

Prices vary as the value of the currency varies.

But "generally" speaking:

USA = 1
Japan = 1
Europe = 1 plus 20 - 25%
Taiwan = 1 less 25 - 30%
China = 1 less 65 - 75%

This is just a rough average all things being equal, at this time.

The level of quality that can be achieved in each country also varies. We can reach a level of fit & finish quality with some Seki makers that is not possible elsewhere at this time.

sal
edit: he also says those numbers are based almost entirey on exchange rates. So it's not like Chinese makers are getting paid less than say, and American maker. It's just that their money isn't worth as much versus US money. Like-wise the Yen is about on par with the US cent as I'm sure many of you know, dealing with HLJ and the like.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.