One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The FUTURE:Maybe by the end of the year we can pay 100+ bucks for all our figures!?!

Actualy-- not sweet.

When the SW figures first came out, they were around 55 bucks. If one came with A LOT of stuff, Sideshow charged a little more. Understandable.

But, then, Bespin Han was 65 bucks....???!

And now Luke is 70 bucks!!!??!??! WTF!!!!???!!!!!1111

Same with the upcoming Frodo and Samwise. 70 bucks?? Really?

Man, Hot Toys is really opening up the market for some high prices. Only problem is: Hot Toys' stuff is actually freaking 1000000% SWEEET, whereas SS's stuff is..... well, a gamble. And usually closer looking to the actor's stunt doubles that the actors themselves. And how about ditching those plastic boots??

I don't know... As a collector, I ain't happy about this trend. I mean, the figures are really nice, but they ain't 70 bucks nice. And if you're going to start charging 70+ dollars for this stuff Sideshow-- you better get that freakin' QC down right. That Bespin Han sculpt came out like s**t.

As an Admin, I hate to start a bitch thread, but I'm still a collector first, so... Anyway, bitch over.

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to add this little bit--

I have been lucky enough to have been at Sideshow's studio, and when you see the stuff in progress-- when you see the final prototypes in person-- they are literally meuseum quality pieces! The talent there is really awe-inspiring.

It's the ****ing QC that sucks donkey dong. And it pisses me off. and I know it's gotta piss the artist's off there who see thier hard work turned bug-eyed, rail-thin, 7-foot tall freaks. (Maybe time to a new body SS???? HUH???? MAYBE?!?!?!?)

Creative kicks ass. Production sucks ass.

I'm done.

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the quality or the amount of gear or sculpting on a figure causes the price to rise, I'm all for that. I can understand that.

I believe that we pay more for figures now because they are much better than the were a year ago, and a year before that and so on.

We pay for quality because we WANT quality. And if we're to blame for THAT, then let's pat ourselves on the back, shall we?

R&D and tooling on new bodies and new weapons and so on will cause a company to raise the prices of their figures. We're a bunch of complaining mo' fo's who want realism. We want sculpts that look like the actors. We want weapons with all the moving and working parts. We want bodies that bend like real human bodies do.

I have never been against buying something because of price-- but the quality must match! That's the only way something can be successful long-term.

I don't buy much ACE stuff. Why? Because I'm not paying 90 bucks for a figure with bare-bones gear and 70% rehashed stuff. Just not gonna do it. They make quality stuff, but I'm just not going to pay that much for what I concider to be way too little.

But this new ACE guy we all want.... Watch him be 100 bucks. Why? 'Cause it's all new stuff... But it's GOOD stuff, at least.

As for Sideshow, I'm not expecting any improvment in the quality of their figures. I believe the price hike is due to the fact that the figures are not selling as well and so they much adjust their profit margins by hiking the price and taking it out on the customers who still DO buy thier stuff.

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The prices are going up and the numbers are going down. See if you notice a trend....

Jedi Luke - 6,500 pcs. made
Anakin Skywalker - 7,000 pcs. made
Qui-Gon Jin - 7,500 pcs. made
Obi-Wan Kenobi - 7,500 pcs. made
Kit Fisto - 5,000 pcs. made
Darth Maul - 9,000 pcs. made
Mace Windu - 7,500 pcs. made
ESB Han Solo - 8,000 pcs. made
Endor Rebel Soldier (non-exclusive) - 4,500 pcs. made
Plo Koon - 5,500 pcs. made
Leia as Boushh - 6,500 pcs. made
ANH Princess Leia - 5,000 pcs. made
ESB Luke Skywalker - 5,000 pcs. made
ANH Ben Kenobi - 5,000 pcs. made
Padme' in Ilum Mission gear - 3,500 pcs. made
Imperial Officer (SS exclusive) - 3,000 pcs. made

They're selling about 1/3 less than they used to, so now we have to pay about 1/3 more than we used to.

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
There's no doubt that Brady is right. He's hit on every point that's increasing the cost of this hobby across the board.

We're a small hobby. The fact that we even have this much product at our disposal on a regular basis is almost a miracle in itself.

While people (who don't know about the hobby) see my collection for the first time are always amazed and immediately interested in it, they always ask the same question: "where do you get this stuff?" I think that shows just how little people know about our hobby and how small our hobby really is-- especially when compared to other collecting hobbies.

Irish then opens up the next part of the conversation: Will people eventually get priced right out of the hobby?

It's not a "doom and gloom" thought-- or a question to get people screaming about the sky falling-- but it is an natural and obvious question.

There's more product available now that ever in the history of this hobby. But it's also selling at the highest prices ever. Can this already tiny market continue to support this trend?

We could use growth-- not shrinkage. The only way to keep this level of product coming our way from all these many companies-- and on such a regular basis-- is to have the money flowing into the market to support it.

A long-standing mainstay company-- and favorite of many-- has already left 1/6 almost completely due to high cost of R&D and manufacturing vs. the money to be made from such a small customer base. Of course, I'm talking of bbi.

And what about the company that got most of us into this hobby in the first place, 21st Century Toys? Gone from 1/6 ages. Hell, even Hasbro doesn't really produce 1/6 military anymore.

If we're going to be a part of this hobby-- we need to be aware of it. We need to know where it's going and what part we're going to play in its direction, for better or worse.

100 bucks a figure has almost become the norm'. I know plenty of people who only have 100 bucks a week in their budget to live on after rent and bills and so on...

While the companies are doing what they must to continue giving us what we want, are they also slowly alienating that same customer base by pricing them right out of the hobby? Are they deconstructing the customer base at the same time they're trying to sustain it?

I guess only the future holds the answer to these questions. I'm still along for the ride, I hope to see you all along the way, too.

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Ashton16 said:
I think the stuff from Very Hot Toys dismisses the theory that it's costing them more to make this crap, so they have to charge more for it. You slap an $8 body onto one of those $55 Very Hot sets and you have a figure every bit as nice as a $120 Hot Toys figure.
I'm gonna have to disagree with that one.

Very Hot is a HK knock-off company. They steal other company's pre-existing molds and patterns and have the factories that do HT's stuff make extra stuff for them.

This is HUGE business in HK. They have a whole section downtown that sells nothing but knock-off products.

And the quality is not as good as HT. The stuff I've seen is poorly made. VH has no idea about military stuff. They're not like HT, who do R&D and legitimately create new product.

Companies like that hurt the hobby because they hurt the companies they steal from and, because of that, I do not and will not support them.

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Major Rod, I understand your position 100%.

When I see new product posted on these boards and the same group of people seem to trash that same companies over and over, it gets annoying.

But, I think there are times when it's appropriate for people to have a discussion of this sort, as a group. We all have an investment, both financially and as hobbyists, in the future of our hobby.

We're a diverse group, from all around the globe and varying levels of financial means. Some people here can continue to keep paying more for their figures for a long time to come, without batting an eye. Others are barely able to hang on as it is-- but they love and enjoy the hobby no less.

I think the people that are expressing themselves here are the ones who are having a hard time paying 60-80 bucks a figure and fear losing the hobby they love if they're forced to pay 100 bucks.

I think that's fair and understandable.

No one here is acting like a fool. No one's talking trash or using childish words. They're simply talking with their fellow collectors about their concerns.

I encourage everyone to continue to post their thoughts and ideas.

And as for coming up with a solution-- have you seen LaughingGravy's work? The guy admittedly says he doesn't want to pay the prices that are out there these days-- and they don't really make the era he's interested in anyway-- so he makes entire figures (sans the body) from scratch! And his stuff looks GREAT!!!

Maybe more people will do this in the future. I always see him encouraging people to use their skills and give it a try.

We're a discussion board here. Sometimes we need to discuss something beside "great bash!" or "here's the new HT figure" or "where do I find this part?" Yes, those are major reasons most of the people come here-- but we also need to discuss the hobby. And this is one of those discussions. There will be opinions you agree with-- and those you don't. That's just what happens in a discussion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.