One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The FUTURE:Maybe by the end of the year we can pay 100+ bucks for all our figures!?!

Actualy-- not sweet.

When the SW figures first came out, they were around 55 bucks. If one came with A LOT of stuff, Sideshow charged a little more. Understandable.

But, then, Bespin Han was 65 bucks....???!

And now Luke is 70 bucks!!!??!??! WTF!!!!???!!!!!1111

Same with the upcoming Frodo and Samwise. 70 bucks?? Really?

Man, Hot Toys is really opening up the market for some high prices. Only problem is: Hot Toys' stuff is actually freaking 1000000% SWEEET, whereas SS's stuff is..... well, a gamble. And usually closer looking to the actor's stunt doubles that the actors themselves. And how about ditching those plastic boots??

I don't know... As a collector, I ain't happy about this trend. I mean, the figures are really nice, but they ain't 70 bucks nice. And if you're going to start charging 70+ dollars for this stuff Sideshow-- you better get that freakin' QC down right. That Bespin Han sculpt came out like s**t.

As an Admin, I hate to start a bitch thread, but I'm still a collector first, so... Anyway, bitch over.

G

·
Man I so agree with you on this...The Crappy HS suck!! and they produce Plastic Goodies. I wont pay pass 50$ for any of there newest figures. I hope they lower the prices or up the quality big time.

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to add this little bit--

I have been lucky enough to have been at Sideshow's studio, and when you see the stuff in progress-- when you see the final prototypes in person-- they are literally meuseum quality pieces! The talent there is really awe-inspiring.

It's the ****ing QC that sucks donkey dong. And it pisses me off. and I know it's gotta piss the artist's off there who see thier hard work turned bug-eyed, rail-thin, 7-foot tall freaks. (Maybe time to a new body SS???? HUH???? MAYBE?!?!?!?)

Creative kicks ass. Production sucks ass.

I'm done.

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
GrenadierStinny said:
Man, Hot Toys is really opening up the market for some high prices.
Actually,we ,as collectors,have opened up the market for these prices.If no-one bought a HT figure when they first started making 100 dollar figures.I doubt the prices would have stayed that high.But when they started sell and we started buying,they proved they could sell those figures for that price...and BBi,TS,and ACE followed suit.

We have only ourselves to blame.

·
Rogue Trader
1,263 Posts
I think this is maybe where my past rants have fallen on deaf ears, re the quality of SST figures no matter the price. However, I think the price increase has started to "open" the eyes of those who would otherwise be die-hard SST fans. I guess the argument that its a cheap figure won't fly anymore.....

However, things are certain to improve because of this.....the beans counters at SST will certainly wise up to falling sales, when people may soon have a choice between buying the newest Medicom #what-ever# and the newest SST franchise figure....hmm, we'll see.

·
Action Fuger!
3,186 Posts
CorranJ said:
Actually,we ,as collectors,have opened up the market for these prices.If no-one bought a HT figure when they first started making 100 dollar figures.I doubt the prices would have stayed that high.But when they started sell and we started buying,they proved they could sell those figures for that price...and BBi,TS,and ACE followed suit.

We have only ourselves to blame.
Bingo! They can charge these prices because we pay these prices. People line up to pre-order these expensive items. In the case of Sideshow's products, their runs are also limited so they're fairly confident the figures will sell out. Not sure about HT's production runs.

HT does make a better figure, but their prices are also creeping up--because we will pay.

Sideshow does vary widely, and better QC (and maybe just some common sense) would help. The Bespin Han Solo was a joke, but I recently paid just under $70 (with shipping) for Episode IV Obi-Wan and it's fantastic--probably my favorite of their Star Wars line. I don't regret the purchase at all.

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the quality or the amount of gear or sculpting on a figure causes the price to rise, I'm all for that. I can understand that.

I believe that we pay more for figures now because they are much better than the were a year ago, and a year before that and so on.

We pay for quality because we WANT quality. And if we're to blame for THAT, then let's pat ourselves on the back, shall we?

R&D and tooling on new bodies and new weapons and so on will cause a company to raise the prices of their figures. We're a bunch of complaining mo' fo's who want realism. We want sculpts that look like the actors. We want weapons with all the moving and working parts. We want bodies that bend like real human bodies do.

I have never been against buying something because of price-- but the quality must match! That's the only way something can be successful long-term.

I don't buy much ACE stuff. Why? Because I'm not paying 90 bucks for a figure with bare-bones gear and 70% rehashed stuff. Just not gonna do it. They make quality stuff, but I'm just not going to pay that much for what I concider to be way too little.

But this new ACE guy we all want.... Watch him be 100 bucks. Why? 'Cause it's all new stuff... But it's GOOD stuff, at least.

As for Sideshow, I'm not expecting any improvment in the quality of their figures. I believe the price hike is due to the fact that the figures are not selling as well and so they much adjust their profit margins by hiking the price and taking it out on the customers who still DO buy thier stuff.

·
Kitbash MacGyver
1,002 Posts
Chiming in with you Stinny. With that being said, at this point I have all of SST's SW line except ANH Leia. I wanted to get the exclusive ANH farmboy Luke that was released for preorder today...and noticed that with shipping included I'm going to be paying almost $80...close to double what I paid for SST's first SW figure (Jedi Luke). At the very least if this trend towards higher prices continues with what I consider to be "standard" equipped figures then I'll be reconsidering future SST purchases. You can bet that SST is watching just what people are willing to pay for their figures...and that ceiling just seems to climb. Here's to hoping things don't get too out of hand price-wise.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Great discussion but don't assume SS will link "lower sales" with "customer disatisfaction with quality". They could easily link "lower sales" with "customer disinterest". Everyone who has issues with SS quality needs to let them know why you aren't buying. I spoke with SS people at last year's toyfair in NYC and asked why they don't do more military figures. Some key points to the discussion were " we trying to move into the licensing market (movies, comic book figures etc.) and secondly they don't see a demand as they got really stung by their last foray into military (barbwire and bayonet series). OK, the WWI figures were cool but they were around FOREVER because they didn't sell well in comparison to some other figures. My point to them was if you want to sell gazillions of figures there are a heck of a lot more military figures out there with higher demand than WWI. Sorry if WWI interests you. I'm just trying to explain a business mindset to a collector audience. Remember SS doesn't typically do 1000 - 1500 piece runs. The moral of the story is communicate to the manufacturer because they aren't reading our minds or the tea leaves too well either.

·
Space Monkey
2,315 Posts
Yea, but for $70 you get a Floppy Hat and Goggles with the Exclusive...did you hear me? A Floppy Hat and Goggles! When I saw the price my jaw went, :jawdrop and I stupidly placed my order anyway, but upon checkout, I've apparently bought so many of their figs that I got $25 off through points! Then I thought, damb, I guess it was worth it. If your going for Star Wars it's either Hasbro $5-30, Sideshow $55-70, or Medicom-Marmit $100-150. I guess I'm one of the stupid ones that will keep paying those prices, but I don't know for how much longer? I really like the idea of 1 Luke and different clothing sets, or 3 Luke heads, ANH, ESB, ROTJ and different clothing sets, since all the bodies are the same. Come on guys, let's start our own company!

·
1:6 Casuality
1,122 Posts
I agree with stinny. Better bodies and QC and it's worth the $70. With properly scaled heads, I'd pay $100. :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
GrenadierStinny said:
Actualy-- not sweet.

When the SW figures first came out, they were around 55 bucks. If one came with A LOT of stuff, Sideshow charged a little more. Understandable.

But, then, Bespin Han was 65 bucks....???!

And now Luke is 70 bucks!!!??!??! WTF!!!!???!!!!!1111

Same with the upcoming Frodo and Samwise. 70 bucks?? Really?

Man, Hot Toys is really opening up the market for some high prices. Only problem is: Hot Toys' stuff is actually freaking 1000000% SWEEET, whereas SS's stuff is..... well, a gamble. And usually closer looking to the actor's stunt doubles that the actors themselves. And how about ditching those plastic boots??

I don't know... As a collector, I ain't happy about this trend. I mean, the figures are really nice, but they ain't 70 bucks nice. And if you're going to start charging 70+ dollars for this stuff Sideshow-- you better get that freakin' QC down right. That Bespin Han sculpt came out like s**t.

As an Admin, I hate to start a bitch thread, but I'm still a collector first, so... Anyway, bitch over.
Agreed %100.

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
And also if you don't pay the 100,or 70 or whatever,they will most likely just stop.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
I'm glad someone else feels the same way about SS as I do. I've been nailing them for the past few years on QC issues. A price hike will kill them stone dead over here. With the retailer I frequent, they get them from the distributor with a name like Boomerang and you always have to order them in cases and not individually. Being stuck with one crap figure is enough, but six!? Forget about it!

CHEERS!

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Paying what they ask is one issue, but the rising cost of everything including onesix, is another. The only thing that hasn't risen as swiftly is most of our incomes.
Sideshow's military offerings have been a bit schizo, imo. I don't think one or two figures gathering dust is a good indicator in a line where most figures can't be found for love or money. American Revolution, ACW, WW1 and Vietnam (despite some gear which was primitive when released) figures are still being sought after. You can't guarantee every figure will be a winner. They could sell plenty of carded weapons sets, if they put 'em out.

SST's sculpts seem to vary widely in that quality which makes them either awesome or disappointing. Their hands are, in the estmation of many, one of their strong points. Along with Twisting Toyz's, they get transplanted onto other bashes for an extra touch of realism.
As for bodies....if SST wants to charge the big bucks, they need to include a good body. All the other players have sweated thru the development process, and now their bodies are big selling points.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Reposting what I posted in the Luke thread as it seems better suited to this discussion.

I've been defending the Sideshow price increases but... man... I'm starting to wonder. In less than two years the Star Wars figures have gone from a price point of $50 to $70. It's not like we're getting anything extra for the money either. This Luke is no more complex than the earlier figures. Currently, given Luke's price, if they where to make armored figures without even a new body I would think they could very well cost more than Medicom's offerings.

Especially since I have been told that adding leather boots (as opposed to hard plastic or rubber boots) would hike the price of Sideshow figures up to $160 (which seems insane to me but I was told I was an idiot for thinking it was anything more than reasonable).

I don't mind paying for quality but if Sideshow is going to continue to up their prices they really need to up their game as well. I'm not going to keep paying these prices when I have to spend an additional $20-40 on their figures to get them up to snuff with my other 1/6 stuff.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
My biggest beef with Sideshow has been their inconsistent quality on HS's ... even when their bodies weren't behind the other companies. I own one SS figure - Hellboy - and I love this figure. I thought they nailed it. I wanted to get more from them right away, but then I didn't get Abe Sapien because it just didn't get the same attention. It had that "meh" factor (even though it's one of my favorite characters in the books).

They've done some great figures - HS's and all which unfortunately weren't my thing so I passed - and then really blundered others that I would have picked up in a second if they had been up to their other work. ACtually, there's been more than just a few of these. Example: Anyone remember Frank Black's melon? (One of my biggest disappointments ever.)

Yep, they need to be consistent with the HS's and paint apps ... and they need to improve the body up to the competition's level. Especially if they want to start charging the competition's prices.

·
Kitbash MacGyver
1,002 Posts
I think Maj Rod put it best...call SST on their price hikes. As much as I've liked and defended SST's offerings...in particular SW...and God knows I've been accused of everything from being a "company man" to being "buds" with the sculptor of a particular project...too much more price increase and I'll drop the line like a hot potato. We're not getting any changes with the price hike...and twenty more bucks per figure from their current price point and SST will be trespassing into the price range reserved for high end figs. My personal mandollie priority list for Mon. ...call Sideshow and start swinging (whether it does any good or not).

·
Action Fuger!
3,186 Posts
GrenadierStinny said:
As for Sideshow, I'm not expecting any improvment in the quality of their figures. I believe the price hike is due to the fact that the figures are not selling as well and so they much adjust their profit margins by hiking the price and taking it out on the customers who still DO buy thier stuff.
The Star Wars figures seem to sell out pretty quickly no matter what the price point. Not sure about the LOTR line, though, I haven't really followed that one. I do think those are too expensive--so I don't buy them.

·
On the Highway of Life
1,933 Posts
I agree with Writinman, Sideshow sells their SW figures pretty quickly.
So they are betting that this trend is still continue if the prices continues to go up while keeping their costs the same. I have to admit that I am guilty of that since I have a pre-order for the Obi-Wan Kenobi figure....so we they do notice that their sales are declining, then this might finally send the message back to the "suits" at sideshow... :knock .....maybe.....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.