One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After studying the war in Indochina I noticed that bashing some french of this era would be a good chance to clear my stock of individual parts from other nations. The usage of american, british and even german uniform parts, equipment and weapons was very common and kept on going until the final battle at Dien Bien Phu. After WW2 Europe was in ruins and the french, like all other Europeans, had to rebuild their country so the troops were equipped with anything France had. As I said...a good chance to clear to your stock ;)

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Good looking bunch of French Union troops. I believe the Bren would have been more commonly carried in the early, post-WW2 period, and when uniforms were a mix of French, Commonwealth, and US WW2 stock (OD and US Army/USMC PTO-type camouflage). Check with plasticboy, Weylen made FM-24/29 light machine guns, and I think they carried M1919 Brownings as well, including the model with a buttstock and bipod.
The RTO appears to be carrying a PRC-25 radio, which is a US Vietnam period piece of equipment, and would likely be carrying a US PRC-300 radio (much bulkier), which bbi made.

I like what you've done, and it's a good reference for the many possibilities for Indochina bashes.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good looking bunch of French Union troops. I believe the Bren would have been more commonly carried in the early, post-WW2 period, and when uniforms were a mix of French, Commonwealth, and US WW2 stock (OD and US Army/USMC PTO-type camouflage). Check with plasticboy, Weylen made FM-24/29 light machine guns, and I think they carried M1919 Brownings as well, including the model with a buttstock and bipod.
The RTO appears to be carrying a PRC-25 radio, which is a US Vietnam period piece of equipment, and would likely be carrying a US PRC-300 radio (much bulkier), which bbi made.

I like what you've done, and it's a good reference for the many possibilities for Indochina bashes.
pukingdog you´re right, the Bren and all other british and german firearms were only used until 1949/1950 and as I have a 1919 with buttstock I´ll give him that one.

And the PRC-300 was widely used and I thought of the RTO carrying one until I saw the radio in this picture gallery http://www.ecpad.fr/parachutage-du-...ien-phu-lors-de-loperation-«castor»#more-9805

I´m not an expert for the french troops after WW2 so I don´t know what´s the name of it, but it is a lot smaller and looks near to the PRC-25 so I used a PRC-25 ;) ...but you got me :D

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I can't say with 100% certainty, but those could be SCR-300s in packs. The radio itself doesn't look that much bigger than the "prick 25". It's the battery case that makes the whole thing about twice as long. If you stuck a block (wood, plastic in a pack, and put the PRC-25 atop that, you'd have something close (with the flap covering the top features). Or you could mock up the whole "box" in the pack, and add an antenna. They used several types of antenna.

The bbi radio man was Sergeant "Sparky" Parsons, and he pops up on ebay once in a while. Not a bad figure, with cold weather gear, a carbine, and the nice radio.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.