One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The curse of eBay strikes again. Buying from seller should from china just for them to disappear and no items arrive. Has anyone ever had a good deal of eBay. It's always to good to be true in my case.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've dealt with ebay once, and while it was successful, I don't want to do it again. Honestly heard far too many horror stories. Ebay was my last resort in finding a certain item. Would not have used them otherwise. But one time was enough. I've heard far too many stories like your's of late merchandise, damaged merchandise, or outright rip offs.

·
in-the-closet lesbian
4,334 Posts
if it seems too good to be true, it is. Ebay bargains aren't usually super cheap, and when they are it is usually used and only the one item. If you see a seller selling multiples of brand new boxed items really cheap then its a scam.

·
i draw pictures.....
2,041 Posts
there's nothing wrong with eBay. i buy alot of my parts from there. using some common sense, like looking at the seller's feedback will save you some headaches. People are always bitching in this forum about eBay or evilbay as they like to call it. it's ridiculous...

peace
miguel

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
682 Posts
Yep. Ebay screws the seller pretty bad. In any dispute Ebay sides with the buyer by default and it is hard for the seller to do much about it.

·
i draw pictures.....
2,041 Posts
i've never had a problem as a seller either....as long as they're getting their cut it's fine. they're JUST aren't enough 1/6 e-stores in this world to NOT use eBay. eBay is still ace!

peace
miguel

·
www.litoygame.com
1 Posts
Has anyone ever had a good deal of eBay. It's always to good to be true in my case.
You need to buy from a reputable seller, and you are of course more likely to be screwed over by a seller based in China. If the price is too good to be true, then there must be something wrong... either with the item or the seller.

·
Brit Basher
2,509 Posts
eBay is fantastic. So much of these issues can be avoided by simply being careful about who you buy from. As for the rest, eBay's Buyer Protection means you literally will NEVER lose money if your item doesn't arrive. I'm not sure if people miss this - but you will not be left out of pocket on eBay if you're screwed over.

Trust me, as a seller who's had this happen to me (lost £150 of product to someone who claimed it hadn't arrived - couldn't prove otherwise so they forcibly refunded them £150 from my PayPal leaving me both out of pocket and missing the items).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I haven't had a bad experience with eBay myself anytime in recent memory (other than several items being delayed processing through customs when arriving from overseas, but that's not the seller's fault). I've been doing a lot of buying on eBay this week in the process of getting my collection going again, received several items already, and everything's gone smoothly so far. I spent a fair bit of time this morning messaging with a particularly helpful seller choosing the best match between body and head for a Scarlett Johansson figure I'm kitbashing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I haven't had a bad experience with eBay myself anytime in recent memory (other than several items being delayed processing through customs when arriving from overseas, but that's not the seller's fault). I've been doing a lot of buying on eBay this week in the process of getting my collection going again, received several items already, and everything's gone smoothly so far. I spent a fair bit of time this morning messaging with a particularly helpful seller choosing the best match between body and head for a Scarlett Johansson figure I'm kitbashing.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,836 Posts
It's about that time of the year again where it preludes to the holiday online shopping on eBay (and elsewhere).

If you're a buyer on eBay, then overall you're fine provided you're not a eBay buyer scammer scumbag and/or a complete cheapskate naive buyer.

If you're a seller on eBay, then it sucks due to the eBay buyer scammer scumbags and cheapskate naive buyers abusing refund and return guidelines.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've had about three or four bad run ins with evilbay. Usually it's with PVC figures (when I used to bother with them) whereby nothing arrived and eventually the seller vanished/got kicked. Ebay have always refunded me though. It was only ever time lost.
The only issue I have had with buying 1/6 on ebay is getting a counterfeit HS sold as geniune, but it did arrive and the quality was ok. That seller also agreed to refund part of the money, so not bad overall.
I buy most of my stuff from evilbay, and generally don't have any issues. I should probably stop calling them evilbay really, lol.

Golden rules of ebay. If everyone else is selling it for £200 and some guy with 60 - 100 reviews is selling it for £50...then avoid him like the plague! If it seems to good to be true, it's going to be a fake.
Don't buy anything expensive from sellers with very low feedback numbers. Also always contact sellers with low scores and ask to see in-hand photos of the item. Make up some garbage about wanting to see it in natural light or something. If they don't respond or try to make excuses for why they can't, then avoid them.
You can always get refunded by ebay if you do get duped. It just takes a while.

·
Unifetish
122 Posts
So are you saying I should not even try to list my collection of DID Ww2 axis figures there? How else should I be getting rid of my collection? There are no 1/6 collectors shows in my state.

·
Unifetish
122 Posts
So where do you suggest your peers (fellow collectors) are supposed to sell off parts of their collections? If eBay is not the right venue, then where? Also, try getting rid of a figure not allowed on eBay (Hitler). It’s truly impossible to sell at all as he is banned. I only collect axis figures and uniforms....but I really need to start selling off my collection.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,836 Posts
So are you saying I should not even try to list my collection of DID Ww2 axis figures there? How else should I be getting rid of my collection? There are no 1/6 collectors shows in my state.
So where do you suggest your peers (fellow collectors) are supposed to sell off parts of their collections? If eBay is not the right venue, then where? Also, try getting rid of a figure not allowed on eBay (Hitler). It's truly impossible to sell at all as he is banned. I only collect axis figures and uniforms....but I really need to start selling off my collection.
--

If you need/want to sell off / trim down your 1:6 collection, then eBay is an option. However, as with anything there are risks and no guarantees as a seller especially on eBay.

Be prepared for many low ball offers whether on eBay or elsewhere. NO ONE is going to pay you top dollar unless you something so obscenely rare and unique that it's sought after.

Asides from the preceding, good luck and we look forward to your inevitable I got screwed over on eBay posts/threads.

·
Unifetish
122 Posts
I have bought and sold on eBay for years. It’s been good. I do here of these stories though. I have never sold my 1:6 figures ...only bought on eBay all of them. I am observing that everyone seems to want sets to be soldoff piecemeal...with every single accessory separate. This listing would drive me to insanity. I want to sell the entire set with box, figure, and all those accessories. This of course makes for expensive items, as they were when I bought them years ago.

I tried to list Hitler MIB on eBay, and was quickly stopped by eBay from doing that. I cannot go to collectibles shows, flea markets, or sell him on any online platforms, as I read all the fine print banning any “Axis” items. I have not tried a ww2 show, as none remotely near me. Since I am into historical uniforms, (not Nazi politics!!! ), it’s pretty difficult to sell off a German figure collection these days.

Any ideas most appreciated.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Depending on where you’re located (if you are in the states), you could try consignment with a reputable retailer. Timewalker Toys, located in Kansas, is a place that does consignment. Military is a favorite niche of Steve’s, so he MIGHT be willing to help you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts