One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gents,

As I hinted in my last post, "Look Out Hitler! Here We Come!", I was working on another project this month. I just finished it last week and I was able to take pictures of it last night so here we go.

I have always been a big fan of With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge, King Company, 3rd Battalion, 5 Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division. I think that his book is by far the best book about combat in the 20th century. If you have not read it, I highly suggest picking up a copy! That being said this diorama was heavily inspired by the details Eugene described in his book as well as a picture I saw as a kid that really stuck with me.

This scene depicts an infantry man in the 1st Regiment of the 1st Marine Division on Peleliu walking out of Bloody Nose Ridge. The 1st Marine Regiment was the first unit to go into the Umurbrogol Mountains and the suffered so many casualties that they were pulled off the line after 15 days of combat on Peleliu.

This marine is a combat veteran of the 1st Marine's previous campaign on Cape Gloucester. I depicted this by using two pieces of his web gear. First being his mixture of 2nd and 3rd pattern canteen covers which I spoke about in my previous Tarawa post and second being his 1910 first aid pouch.

The way I depicted him as a member of the 1st Marine Regiment is also 2 fold. First, I kept his dungaree pants tucked into the top of his leggings. Most pictures you see have Marines with their pant legs on the outsides of their boots because of the excessive heat on Peleliu. However, I have found 3 pictures of marines with tucked in leggings in the first few weeks of the campaign so I thought that was justification for this figure. The second part of his identification is the state of his dungaree jacket and pants. Most guys coming out of Bloody nose ridge had shredded uniforms because they were in those coral mountains for weeks on end but because the 1st Marine Regiment was only in the mountains for a week I figured the uniform would be showing less wear.

A few references to Sledge's book include:
1. Blood stains around the cuffs of his utility jacket from serving as a stretcher barer and medical assistance that all Marines did on Peleliu at one time or another.
2. Black "carbon" stains on his hands and thighs of his dungaree pants from cleaning his M1. (I used real grease and carbon residue from my M1 to achieve this)
3. The black land crab. Sledge mentioned in his book that these were everywhere and often kept Marines awake at night because there movement in the brush sounded like Japanese infiltrators.
4. Bloody knuckles, knees, and elbows from the jagged coral rock of Peleliu.

Diorama and figure breakdown
1. Figure/ head- Soldier Story 2nd ID Korea
2. Uniform- Dragon (used sand paper to age then stained with blood and dirt)
3. Cartridge belt- Newline Miniatures
4. Bayonet- Dragon
5. Canteens and first aid pouch- 21st Century
6. Helmet- Soldier Story (custom chin strap)
7. Helmet cover- Dragon (aged)
8. Dog tags- Dragon (used bonded 69 thread for the string)
9. Boots- 21st Century
10. M1- Dragon
11. Crab- Dragon
12. Japanese skull- unknown (hand painted)
13. Japanese helmet- Soldier Story (aged)
14. Diorama base- Painted clay cat litter
15. Ground cover- burned sticks and leaves hand cut palm frond
16. Coral rocks- aged pitted concrete painted white and blended

Hope you all enjoy.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I like how he strolls past the warning sign, like he's just too weary to bust a run. A great Marine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wickedly good job! Love the weathering and posing, great use of parts too!

The cartridge belt looks a little empty to my eyes, but that's a very minor nitpick, he looks great!
Thanks for the observation. That was once again an inspiration from Sledge's book. Every evening every unit would be supplied with a unit of fire (enough ammunition for eachildren weapon for one day). By the majority of his ammo on his weaponew side being gone I wanted to show that this was towards the afternoon after a full day of fighting game with allot of shooting.

Thanks everyone for all your feed back. I had a blast making this diorama.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Excellent figure and I really like the mix of manufacturers. You make excellent use of the 21st century gear. I really like the fact you included a EGA collar badge. Nice detail and it adds a lot of authenticity to the bash.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Excellent rendition of the weary Marine exiting the danger zone after a spell of nightmarish job on hell island. I like it very much.

I believe on that coral surface plus heat and humidity, not only the combat uniforms and clothing got worn down and rip apart but also all leather straps and boots will rot quite fast...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Excellent figure and I really like the mix of manufacturers. You make excellent use of the 21st century gear. I really like the fact you included a EGA collar badge. Nice detail and it adds a lot of authenticity to the bash.
Thanks for the complement. It's a shame that we can't just buy from one manufacturer but I guess the hunt for the parts is half the fun. It is fun for me to use my old 21st Century stuff. Brings back great memories and in some cases they are better than what is being made today.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.