One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Furious Genius
1,973 Posts
I just saw that this morning too, great work. I agree with you, I've seen a number of Ada's sculpts and she has a terrific eye (and hand). I got her Redford and Newman and a really well done young Bob Mitchum. I know I'll be buying more.

·
Furious Genius
1,973 Posts
She sent me an email that she now has a Gerard Butler hs. Not sure if it is on ebay yet.
I thought he looked familiar but sorry to say I didn't recognize the name, I had to look him up. He was Leonidas in
"300", and was also in "Reign of Fire", "Laura Croft, Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life", "Timeline", and "Beowulf & Grendel" (I thought Beowulf's yelling sounded a lot like Leonidas). So there is a few action figures already on the market that can be improved with this head and the potential to bash some more.

·
Furious Genius
1,973 Posts
Miaow!

Is that Julie Newmar or Lee Merriweather?

CHEERS!
It's Julie Newmar, hard to see under the mask but the likeness is very good. If you are into classic 50's and 60's tv shows Ada has a few hs' that are just great. Her George Reeves (50's tv Superman) is probably the best likeness I've ever seen. She recently did wonderful likenesses of Robert Conrad from his "Wild, Wild West" days and Gene Barry as "Bat Masterson". This morning I got an email with pics of a dead on sculpt of Charleton Heston as Ben-Hur. It would be useful for anything from that period (or even a little earlier) of Heston's carreer, "El Cid" for instance, or a little later as General Gordon in "Khartom" (with added putty stash and sideburns of course). Ada just keeps pumping the sculpts out and at $15 - $25 shipping included they are a good buy. If you get on her mailing list you will also receive periodic specials, a "buy three get one free" kind of thing.

·
Banned
292 Posts
It's definitely expensive if you're trying to swing the whole cost yourself. I did forum group commissions for the Supernatural Brothers Sam and Dean, and for the Tall Man from Phantasm, and will now be moving on to a group of Doctor Who heads and maybe a nice "Bishop", Lance Henriksen, from Aliens.

Really, it depends how bad you want a particular head made. I gave this speech in one of the forums when everyone kept thanking me for organizing them (which was very nice), but I'll give it again:

I've never seen a sculptor of her quality and talent so easily accessable to hire to get that odd, isoteric figure you always wanted to actually happen.
We all have them. For ANY head you want, there's bound to be SOMEONE out there who wants it too. Maybe 7 people. Maybe 15. Dividing up the commission cost, that's money YOU don't have to pay all by yourself. The more people, the less the overall cost becomes.

Ada's prices are only going to keep going up as is the demand for her.
The Tall Man was my personal #1 want. I know I was never going to get a 1:6 version of him. But these forums are a GREAT way to find others who are interested in the same characters you are. I got 9 others to go in. We got him made for less than $35 a person. I considered that a bargain for something I wanted so bad.

I just want to encourage everyone to not give up on getting their dream characters. This opportunity is way too good!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
You mean to tell me you got 25 people together and collected as a whole $625 net of PayPal fees to pay her for a group commission ? More than once !!! You're a better salesman than I ... it's been like pulling teeth for our Ripley project and we got stuck on 18. That's when I found another artist who was more than happy to take our 18 as-is. So much for Ada .. plus I never got over the fact that she said she would never have thought of doing Ripley when thousands of "Ripley"s have already been sold world-wide by HOT TOYS that have shetty sculpts. Then when I see her "New Arrival" time & again of all these recent TV actresses in B.S. dead brain series, it just made me sighhh and said I don't get it .. why waste the time on brainfart characters that don't have mass appeal and ignore Ripley from an all time classic block buster film.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You mean to tell me you got 25 people together and collected as a whole $625 net of PayPal fees to pay her for a group commission ? More than once !!! You're a better salesman than I ... it's been like pulling teeth for our Ripley project and we got stuck on 18. That's when I found another artist who was more than happy to take our 18 as-is. So much for Ada .. plus I never got over the fact that she said she would never have thought of doing Ripley when thousands of "Ripley"s have already been sold world-wide by HOT TOYS that have shetty sculpts. Then when I see her "New Arrival" time & again of all these recent TV actresses in B.S. dead brain series, it just made me sighhh and said I don't get it .. why waste the time on brainfart characters that don't have mass appeal and ignore Ripley from an all time classic block buster film.
My understanding is Ada will only sculpts heads that someone has paid her a commission to do. Also on the group commission why not just pay the commission for the sculpt, get one head made and have someone else do the casting. You would save a few hundred dollars, which would decrease the cost a bunch. I'm pretty sure Ada doesn't have a problem with the person who paid for the commission doing it either since she gave me permission at one time.

·
Banned
292 Posts
You mean to tell me you got 25 people together and collected as a whole $625 net of PayPal fees to pay her for a group commission ?

No. I did different math. The way I did it, I was willing to pay any money I didn't collect to get the head made myself, because after all, they were for me first and foremost. I considered everyone else just helping.

For the Supernatural Heads I had 14 people at $32, and the Tall Man had only 9 people, at $34 a head each. The Supernatural guys juuuust paid for themselves. For Tall Man I had to pay about $30 into the commission. Totally worth it.
Paypal fees are evil. I didn't account for those in the prices when I did that. :(

Toy Adventurer's right. All those heads you see on her listings are somebody elses commissions she's selling copies of that she's been paid to sculpt, not her own personal marketing/sculpting choice.

I only had a few people back out of paying for the Supernatural/Phantasm heads, and I'm sure they were going the E-Bay route instead of helping fund the project/actually get it made, but I have to say everyone else was AMAZING. I was very lucky everyone on the forums were as passionate and excited about making the heads happen as I was.

Now the Doctor Who heads I've been trying to organize? Lots of people not responding back at all so far. That's disappointing.

Also on the group commission why not just pay the commission for the sculpt, get one head made and have someone else do the casting. You would save a few hundred dollars, which would decrease the cost a bunch. I'm pretty sure Ada doesn't have a problem with the person who paid for the commission doing it either since she gave me permission at one time.

That's a smart idea. Laziness is my reason why not (laugh). She only charges $15 bucks a cast, which comes with the neck adaptor, no airholes, and that swell purple bag (laugh) plus the head cast charge isn't anything I pay for, so it's kind of negligable.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
@Shatner's -- thanks for sharing your way for group commish. Here's a question for ya -- how much did she want from your group to get those heads sculpted ? It already looks like she gave you a much better deal, as our "minimum" (which means if we didn't have at least 25 people willing to pay 25 dollars each totaling 625 bones) seems a lot higher than the numbers you had indicated ..

@Toyadv .. that's a good idea IF she would agree to let you handle the casting. My understanding is that she wants to hold on to the casting rights. So by allowing someone else to cast one of her copies, she would be losing that control as there's no way she can tell how many copies I make or sell for that matter .. so it's highly doubtful an artist would ever agree to let someone else other than her or himself cast that work.

·
Super mega jedi ninja
1,510 Posts
Ada sculpting is brilliant, though the compatibility with Perfect Body isnt great, first the heads are slightly too large in comparison the PB/Cy heads, also the neck is far too long, PB/Cy necks are already part of the body to begin with. This was a major problem for me because i personally like to use the PB's as a base body. I had to pull out the rubber peg hole from inside the neck, then cut down the neck to virtually nothing so it doesnt look like a mutant humanoid Swan. The head size i couldnt solve, i really dislike large heads (im looking at you Sideshow)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.