1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Intercept,Engage,Destroy
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Hmm... if you read the info associated with the clip, it tells that it's actually a concept piece, meant to sell the proposed movie to a potential studio or distributor at the American Film Market, and is NOT an upcoming HBO miniseries from Spielberg & Hanks. At any rate, it's an outstanding bit of work and I hope some studio buys it so it can go into production!

David

·
Registered
375 Posts
The Fortress flipping over onto the one below looked really dumb to me. CGI is really lame on the whole for me as well. The one part I did like was the engine shot through the side cockpit window. The planes at the end looked like more fighters than the Luftwaffe fielded in the entire war.

I'm hoping that this is indeed a sales piece and not a real part of the HBO series. What made the Pacific and Band of Brothers so great was the judicious use of CGI - too much and it will have the visual look of that really lame Tuskegee airmen movie.

I hate to keep saying it, but look to Das Boote for the realism aspect a movie can achieve. Also - would they be able to hear each other speak so easily? A Flying Fortress with a bunch of .50 caliber guns sawing off must have made a huge racket.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,970 Posts
I preface this with the following . . .

The best recent series regarding WW II in terms of setting the benchmark in terms of production & story is BAND OF BROTHERS & THE PACIFIC.

I thought every now & then what other branches of service with their stories can be done properly, respectfully, & rightfully.

THE MIGHTY EIGHTH thus far appears to fit that bill.

With that said . . .

The promo clip/sales pitch clip looks very promising, but the CGI FX does not look "realistic" enough IMHO. I don't necessarily think it'll work as a feature length film, but there is enough material and real life history within the Eighth Air Force in their combat history during WW II which I feel Tom Hanks & company can & will do justice for on the same caliber as BAND OF BROTHERS & THE PACIFIC.

If this comes to fruition as a series on HBO and I hope it does, I'll be watching it.

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Let me repeat what I already posted: this is actually a concept/promo piece for a proposed theatrical motion picture, and is NOT going to be a miniseries for HBO produced by Spielberg & Hanks-- in fact, Spielberg & Hanks have nothing whatsoever to do with the project!

David

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Nothing like being ubercritical of a damn shopping loop...

I thought it looked pretty cool. I wouldn't want to be in that plane.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I hope they do the movie, it's a great story many don't know. More Americans were killed in Europe's bomber offensive than the Marines lost in the Pacific...

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts

Attachments

·
Celer et Audax
397 Posts
Phew.....what a trailer.....I'm breathless.....literally stopped breathing.....

I imagine it will be another great, though, just like BoB and Pacific, hard watching at times....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts