One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I was out of town last weekend and missed my Sunday night review. Let's make up for it tonight with a look at a sixth scale figure that's *almost* out - Dean Winchester from Supernatural! Qmx picked up the license awhile back and Dean is the first of several planned characters. There's some nits to pick with the portrait, but the costume, articulation, and accessories are top notch. You can find my review here:

Review and photos of Dean Winchester Supernatural sixth scale action figure

or with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

Captain Toy, Michael Crawford's Action Figure and Toy Reviews

Thanks for reading!

Michael

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
Thanks for another great and detailed review. As always, the photos and background are superb. I believe you meant to "latch" onto facial features, by the way. ;) But I agree... the portrait is not really spot on, then again neither was the third party (Funtoys?) head sculpt from a few years back. Curiously, if "pretty" is the problem, his (tv) brother's Funtoys head sculpt seemed more promising and recognizable. I wonder what QMX will achieve there. Their Mal Reynolds, Kirk, and Picard were exceptional, and their George Hamilton (you know who I mean) was pretty good too. I am a bit confused about your take on the one-piece head and neck issue -- in some reviews you criticize it, in others you endorse it. I suppose there is such a thing as "is it needed," but in my book anything that gives up on or limits articulation is a problem that should have been solved -- on principle. That said, I agree, the one-piece looks (though it doesn't work) better.
Nice to see you making your reviews a family affair, although I realize this is a fairly exceptional case.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, I meant snatch, but latch works as well. As to the one piece neck - it's good for sculpt, not so good for articulation. Having the ability to pose the head with a slight tilt goes a long way to getting a realistic pose, and it can effect things more or less in one category or the other. It depends on the figure, and how well the lower neck joint ends up working.

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Thanks for the review, Michael. I appreciate it all the more because my pre-ordered Dean Winchester figure should ship around the end of next month (fingers crossed!)

David

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Another excellent review, sir. Thank you.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Great review as always. So on the fence on this figure. I'm a big fan of the show, and the outfit and accessories look perfect. But the off likeness on the head, and the price both put me off a bit. And as GubernatorFan mentioned, QMX is usually spot on with likeness, so I'm surprised on this one. But still, very tempting.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm only planning on buying Castiel since he's my favorite character & looks best of the three. Dean's likeness is off, not as charming as the person, and Sam look a lot older, like instead of season 10 he's from season 20 of Supernatural. Season 10 also has one of my favorite "off" episode, Fan Fiction(episode 5).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts