One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, This might be the first real post I have done here so if I mess up I just wanted to say Sorry.

I have been pretty bored with the hobby lately but I had some time this weekend to set up some figures in the yard. I set up the area before the snow but we got a lot more than I thought (about 12") so my guys got buried with 6' of scale snow but I figured it would be cool to snap some pics anyway. Here are 5 pics I aged with Photoshop CS4 and a great plug in for aging pics. My yard is very small about 27 x 12 so I had to also photoshop the back drops in. Usually I would invite some of they guys by but this was short notice and my PC was down until Friday so I couldn't send out an invite. The MG bunker, Flak bunker Guard Tower and small cafe/building are all scratchbuilt. Everything but the tower is made from the pink foam painted with exterior grade paint I have mixed to resemble concrete.

The pics are of a small stronghold after a major storm. I have about 25 more pics I'll post after I photoshop them.

Here is a pic of the yard from my second floor window so you can see how small it actually is and what I have to work with. If I had a larger area I really could go nuts!

I hope you guys enjoy the pics.

John

·
Registered
39 Posts
oh my God... you are real crazy...
this is totally AWESOME! good job there man. you should take as many photos as possible. its a pity when the snow melts away

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thansk guys, I wish I had a larger place to set up I could really go all out.

Here are a few more pics. I'll have more later just not used to the new version of Photoshop.

More to come......

John

·
Registered
484 Posts
Awesome pics, John! As soon as the snow hit last weekend, I wondered if you were going to do a photoshoot! I still have to post the pics I took of my guys the LAST snowstorm!!

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
An incredible presentation, I believe you've done more than you might have with far more room. Very atmospheric.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again guys.
Nate I wish I more time I would have given you a call and had you come over. Give me a call!

I love doing winter shoots snow always looks in scale. Thansk God for photoshop and digital photography! LOL Back in the day I would have to do this kind of stuff in a dark room and a lot of time and still not get the results I get with Photoshop.

Your right I think sometimes having less room makes me more aware of the scale. With more room I might tend to spread stuff out a little more. I wish it didn't snow as much they day before it looked a lot better but it was still snowing and it doesn't take long for a figure to get 1/4" of snow piled on him to make it look off.

I can use my leaf blower to blow this light snow around and give it a fresh look of a light coat by blowing snow off a shovel over the dio. We were lucky to get just powder.

This was a quick test shot I did. This is what the yard looked like the day before Saturday. I did a quick pic and palnned on just leaving the stuff in the yard because we were supposed to get just a dusting and I thought that would give it a better look but we got about 5 more inches so I had to dig everything out.

John

·
Requiescat In Pace
7,095 Posts
Damn, that looks incredible.

·
Registered
39 Posts
holy... i just realised there is a anti air bunker/fortification thing.
thats exactly like the one made by Verlinden (model kit)

i wonder if you use Verlinden's as reference? if you are, wow i a totally amazed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good catch! Yeah, I scaled up the Verlinden kit and cut the parts from pink foam insulation. I also did my Nam temple and MG bunker using the Verlinden stuff for reference. One thing that I forgot most 1/35th scale stuff is not 100% to scale and i should have did a little research the DML Quad is a tight fit I would have been better off making the whole thing about 1" all around on the footprint that would have given me about 3/4" clearance for the Quad. I was a big 1/35th scale modeler years ago and I have a lot of Verlinden kits I got when I worked in a hobby shop for ten years.

Here is a shot of the Temple and MG bunker:

The Temple is actually buried under the snow right behind the Flak Bunker. It's not to scale because i got the statue of the Buddha and built according to that.

The bunker you can see in the background of one of the photos.

John

·
Registered
484 Posts
The pics actually don't do enough justice to John's layout. The flak bunker and temple are both jaw-dropping!! :drool The MG Bunker, guard tower and Cafe de Llama are great as well!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi again and thnks here is another installment of pics I'll have just a few more from this shoot to finish. I will be clearing out the yard and getting things rearanged a little better. THere is a lot of crap out there that's buried in the snow that when moved will make it easier to lay out my structures.

The last pic I have photoshopped a pic of my sisters dog Timber who is very sick and just wanted to put him in a pic. Sorry if the German is wrong I tried one of the online translation sites.

I am going to upload some of the color pics in my photo album later.

John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts