One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Steyr AUG;Brand comparison/review**UPDATED & REVISED DML Aoshima Medicom Merit

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Jay.Mac 
I carried an F88C but never had the opportunity to try it on a 2 way range. It is a good weapon and reliable but it does have limitations which is one of the reasons it is not favoured by our SF. The weapon is NOT suited to water ops and due to its bullpup design is capable of getting hydrostatic lock in the buffers which results in a catastrophic failure of the rear of the weapon which is neatly tucked against your face.
The real weapon is easy to handle and very accurate (more so the Carbine). It's limitation is that it is 5.56 and as such suffers in knockdown power. There was talk of ADI trialling a Hybrid 7.62 version using a shortened case round but I believe that was just rumours although they are looking for a 7.62 solution.
The weapon can be converted easily for Left or Right ejection but you need a different bolt. The covers are swapped over but don't like to stay in place. We tended to use silicon adhesive to hold them in. (Official solution). I would concur with DML's being the most accurate excepting the Orange mags. They were a smoky colour so a quick spray with Tamiya Smoke will help (translucent colour). The Merit (Stash) one is a pretty close second to me as the colour is spot on.
I really had hopes for BBI to do a normal Aussie Grunt with an F88 GL or S but it looks as though that died with the last SASR fig.
Cheers
Al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.