One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Steyr AUG;Brand comparison/review**UPDATED & REVISED DML Aoshima Medicom Merit

OK so I have been waiting to get my latest batch of Steyr AUG rifles from a recent purchase before doing this review. Only to find that there is a new addition to the competition, with the Power Team(PT). So this comparison is going to be done with out that specimen.

Original design dates back to the late 1960's. The AUG (Armee Universal Gewehr - or Universal Army Rifle) was designed as a replacement for the FN-FAL, for the Austrian Army. It was designated the Stg.77 (Assault Rifle of 1977) by the Austrian Army, and began production in 1978. It was not the first Bullpup design, but definately the most produced and reliable. Magazine options are 30 and 42 round, and have seen what appears to be a 20 round, but have yet to confirm this. Usually chambered for 5.56mm, but I have seen 9mm versions.

It is now used by many Armies of the world, including the Austrian, Australian (as the F88__ ), Irish, Luxemburg, Oman, Maylasia, Saudi Arabia, New Zealand, and others, and can be found in many special ops arsenals, as well as police and SWAT units.

On to the comparison. Quite a few have entered this arena, and it took some work for me to find some of them. Samples are from Dragon (DML, Sydney Savage figure), Medicom(Cobra anti-terror figure), Merit (I think, from the limited release Recon Stash figures), The Ultimate Soldier/21 Century Toys (from a few figures, and carded sets), Furuta ( blind box set), Zacca( blind box set series 2), a recast that I have only seen sold from Store-rooms (possibly Dr.Figures, but I am not sure there), and Aoshima/Armoury blind box set of 6. There is also the Power Team, but I have yet to grab one of those.

As expected there are varying degrees of detail and quaility. I'll list them, from my personal view, best to worst, then give all the details. 1st picture, Aoshimas not included, as I didn't have these when I first made the review.

1)Dragon(DML)
2)Aoshima/ Armoury (Not in 1st pic)
3)Merit/ Recon Stash Figure
4)Medicom
5)The Ultimate Soldier (TUS, 21c)
6)Zacca
7)Store-rooms (Dr. Figures?)
8)Furuta
9)Power Team

1) DML Pictures 2-4. It is the most coveted, and looks the best and most accurate. Moving charging handle, folding forward grip, removable transpartent mag. Green stock is the most accurate colour green. What is not to like about this. This sample is amazing and comes only with the equally sexy figure, Sydney Savage, from the Danger Girl Comics. The best A1 model by far.

2) Aoshima / Armoury. The last 7 pictures. Saw limited release in spring 2008, and have been hard to find, especially at reasonable prices. They have just been announced again summer 2009. Blind Boxed, set of 6 in each case, so you buy a case, you get all 6. Colours are different on the stocks. All the Aoshimas' have slightly different shades of OD, but not quite the right colour. The thing that sets these apart are the six different configurations. Standard A1 AUG with M203 grenade launcher, A2 AUG with an M203 and Elcan scope(molded backwards, but fixable), A1 AUG in standard configuration with a light/laser combo (same as the Medicom and Merit), A3 AUG with a scope and different flash supressor (I think this should be an A2 with a modified front RIS, as the rail on the A3 sits right on the reciever, and not the shortened handguard height as modeled), A2 AUG with NV scope and new flash supressor, and finally the HBAR (Heavy Barrel) model with bipod, based on an A2 AUG, has a scope, and the only offering to have a 42 round mag of all the samples. It fills the gap and gives us a bunch of cool variants not offered before. The Aoshima AUGs also have the best colouring of the polymer magazines which is a smokey grey colour. The charging handles work and are not spring loaded (one of mine doesn't move, but I think it's because it's glued in place during assembly. I think the M203 is supposed to open as well, but apparently have the same glue issue). The Elcan scope is molded backwards on the base and is incorrect, but easily fixed. The detail on all of them is pretty basic, but could really shine in the hands of a dedicated modeler. All the forward grips move and magazines are removable.

3) Merit (at least I think that's who made it). Pictures 5 & 6. Comes with the Recon Stash figures, in OD, tan and black. I just found them recently and they have replaced the Medicom as #3. Here's why. Three colour options, even if the green is the wrong shade. The charging handle moves, but is not spring loaded like the DML(I actualy like this idea better). Transparent mags, folding forward grip, Laser sight(glued on, bit of a bummer there) and the only one on the samples that had slings. There is also a cool plug that can be removed so that spent shells would eject from the other sider of the rifle for a lefty. I don't know if the real rifle has that option, but it would make a lot of sense. There is a lot of warping and some iffy gluing, but some warm water and gentle bending took care of most of the badness.

4) Medicom Pictures 7 & 8. From the Medicom Austrian Cobra Anti-terror figure. Looks pretty good, but suffers from the same illness as the figures. It's a bit small. The green stock is waaaay off. The magazine is transparent and looks like a 20 round version, rather than a 30 (interesting, but not necessarily accurate). Has a cool laser unit similar to the Merit version, and many features look identical. I thaught they were the same model, until I had them both in possesion.

5) The Ultimate Soldier (TUS 21c) Pictures 9 & 10. Various figure sets, and carded sets. This version is kind of a generic A1 AUG, but is also the best to modify. Easily the most plentiful option, and you don't feel guilty hacking one up. Comes in OD and Black. The mags are solid plastic, and not transparent, and are a different colour in the OD and Black models. The mags are removable. The forward grip moves, but is very loose on almost all my samples, and I have quite a few. Great for the younglings to play with too. The OD is second best out of the box, but not accurate.

6) Zacca Pictures 11 & 12. Blind Boxed, Gun Collection series 2. This is pretty basic as well. The OD is off. The mags are not transparent, and have squared edges, but they are removable. Nothing else is movable. Forward grip is molded in the down position. Another good option for hacking up. It's good that I didn't pay much for these. I have seen them priced quite high, and wasn't sure about the quality. I got 6 for $1.50 ea, and bought them all. These will end up getting modded. These were actually hard for me to find because they came out a while back, and their popularity raised the prices on them. Too much for what they are in most cases. Comes with a nifty rack though.

7) Store-rooms version Pictures 13 & 14. Loose bagged. ((Dr. Figures? possibly) I have called it that as it's the only place I have seen that sells it.) Definatly a recast of the DML version. Why is it not higher on the list then? Where do I begin? The plastic is brittle. The parts are molded in place, and are easily broken because of that. The mags are orange, and not transparent, but you get two. There is a short barrel option, and a silenced barrel option. Nice features except that the barrels are too small in diameter. They retail for about $15.00. Too much considering the quality. I didn't pay that much because I won an auction. The only good thing I have to say is the colour is nearly on par with the DML version. It would be a good sacrificial option if it wasn't so expensive.

8) Furuta Pictures 15 & 16. Blind Boxed Metal Gun Mania collection. Well yes. Furuta is a toy, with gum, and an interesting paper gun rack. Has an interesting paper stand. It's a short barrel model. That's the good. It is molded in black plastic and is not painted. It's a bit big for scale, the scope adjustment knobs are in the wrong places, solid molding means no moving bits. Detail is rough, except on the barrel which is actually nice and clean. It does have a removable mag, but detail is on par with the rest of the gun. Great for hacking up. Best thing you could do with it. Or give it to the kids. These are also kind of tricky to find, and get sold for more than what they are worth. Buyer beware.

9) Power Team Boxed with figure(s). Pictures further down in the review, supplied by Joebros, Thanks man. The last place Steyr AUG sample. A toy. A lump that just barely resembles what it' is suposed to be. I have yet to acquire one, and it's doubtful I will after seeing some close-ups. If you are looking for accuracy and detail..... this isn't it.

Below are the pics of each offering. I tried to put in larger pics from the gallery, but it didn't work for me.

Attachments

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
These pics are from the different shades of green.

The stands from Zacca.

And a magzine cover showing showing us an option we have yet to lay our grubby hands on, and the colour of the transparent mag (nice NV scope too). I have heard and seen pics of different colours of magazines. From a transparent orange coloured, transparent smoke coloured, and solid OD mags. {EDIT; Aoshima A2 AUG with the NV Scope looks just like this Irish soldiers' weapon.}

And of course there are the now cancelled Aoshima/Armoury (Barrack Sergeant/ Sgt Larry gave us some teasers of these a while back, and we were never sure if he was giving them to us, or just a heads up to them being released) AUG variants. I would have bought a truck full of those. {EDIT} These did not get cancelled, but saw limited release in 2008, and are about to be released again summer-ish 2009.

Added the Merit/ Medicom comparison. Note the smaller magazine on the Medicom, and sling on the Merit.

Aoshima Dragon Merit Medicom comparison.

Magazines; Dragon, 30rd Aoshima, 42rd Aoshima

Aoshima HBAR flash supressor and moving bipod

A3 Flash supressor

A2 w NV Scope, flash supressor

A2 w M203 and Elcan, the Elcan can be removed and that makes it easier to fix the scope.

Aoshima colour differences; bottom 2 are more OD while the top 2 (and the rest) are a lighter green colour

Aoshima A3 ( I think it's an A2 with a modified RIS, not an actual A3. A3 has the RIS attached to the reciever, without the gap between the rail and reciever.) My favorite in this set.

Aoshima HBAR scope detail. Has a moving carry handle, and moving bi-pod. I think this one is to represent a sniper set up more than a SAW type application with that scope. I am not totally convinced that a carry handle on the scope is a good idea. Looks like the one used in "The Usual Suspects"

Aoshima Bi-pod detail.

Attachments

·
Don't Panic.
2,477 Posts
Very nice comparison. I had no idea that so many companies have put out the AUG. I new about the DML and 21st ones as well as the Zacca. To bad the Aoshima ones ended being scrapped. So the Barrack Sargent previewed ones were the same as the Aoshima ones?

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Aoshima adverts I saw all posted the same pics that Sgt Larry gave us a while back, so they appear to be the ones he was working on. I don't know the details, but that's my guess.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Nice comparative thread, and didn't Woody Allen say "...there's no such thing as a bad Steyr AUG..."?? Substitute "rugged" for "Detail is rough", and you have Furuta KalAUGshnikov.
You hear various RL opinions of the AUG, good and bad, just yesterday I crossed paths with an old acquaintance, he was SF in Vietnam. Likes the AUG a lot (thinks the FN-FAL may be the best battle rifle he ever encountered). Seems to be matter of preference and experience. The AUG may just be the best looking real world "scifi" weapon, it has beautiful lines.
Once again, great thread. informative and damned enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I carried an F88C but never had the opportunity to try it on a 2 way range. It is a good weapon and reliable but it does have limitations which is one of the reasons it is not favoured by our SF. The weapon is NOT suited to water ops and due to its bullpup design is capable of getting hydrostatic lock in the buffers which results in a catastrophic failure of the rear of the weapon which is neatly tucked against your face.
The real weapon is easy to handle and very accurate (more so the Carbine). It's limitation is that it is 5.56 and as such suffers in knockdown power. There was talk of ADI trialling a Hybrid 7.62 version using a shortened case round but I believe that was just rumours although they are looking for a 7.62 solution.
The weapon can be converted easily for Left or Right ejection but you need a different bolt. The covers are swapped over but don't like to stay in place. We tended to use silicon adhesive to hold them in. (Official solution). I would concur with DML's being the most accurate excepting the Orange mags. They were a smoky colour so a quick spray with Tamiya Smoke will help (translucent colour). The Merit (Stash) one is a pretty close second to me as the colour is spot on.
I really had hopes for BBI to do a normal Aussie Grunt with an F88 GL or S but it looks as though that died with the last SASR fig.
Cheers
Al

·
God Bless America
1,532 Posts
Cool thread, Rhino. :thumb Didn't know there were so many AUGs out there.

I don't remember if I showed you these pics or not, but I'll post them anyway for the aid of everyone else.

Power Team(PT) AUG (bottom) compared to a 21st AUG (top):

IMHO, Furuta has lost it's spot as the worst and PT takes the #8 spot. Nothing moves and the mag is fixed.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It may just have been you JB. I do remember somebody in chat showing me the PT. Yup, that's in last I'd say. Look at the size dif between the two. The Furuta is about the same size. And has about the same detail, maybe just slightly better on the Furuta.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Re: Steyr AUG;Brand comparison/review**UPDATED & REVISED DML Aoshima Medicom Merit T

Great review- thanks very much. I was tempted by the Storeroom's version but after having read this I definitely be looking for DML's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.