One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the website's newest delightful quirk in refusing to display my newly uploaded images in the album and providing the necessary url info for inserting them into this new thread, I seem to have discovered a somewhat laborious workaround.

Anyway, here is a (photo heavy - 18 photos) look at the new Sideshow Han Solo in Carbonite. It is a nifty product with several display options, but it is not an articulated figure, and even that would not have been exactly cheap at $250. I was asked if it was worth it, and that is not something I can really answer for anyone else (or even for myself) with any degree of certainty -- I think it's great, but I also think the price is quite a lot. It really depends on how badly you want it, or whether you succumb to a moment of weakness (I did).

The product comes in an oversized box, within which you will find a two-part styrofoam shell protecting the pieces and a little instruction leaflet. Of course I forgot to take a photo of the box and leaflet, but I've already put everything away and with the brand new complications in posting photos, I am not going to go back and do it.

First, let's get the crew lined up. And before anyone says anything, I am working with what I had available on a short notice and while fighting off some version of the flu. Yes, I know this is supposed to be Cloud City and not the Death Star, but I don't have a Cloud City background yet. Similarly, Leia's hair, C-3PO's legs, Han's belt (I am not going to damage it to remove it for just one photo), Boba Fett's vambraces, etc...
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Here is the base from the front. It lights up with an easy switch on the back side, and the batteries come preinstalled. The front features a carbon freeze chamber light pattern, which can be shown in either orange (as in the photo) or in bluish white (farther down). The top surface can be pulled out and reversed. What you see is supposed to be for the carbon freeze chamber, the reverse side is supposed to be a Cloud City hallway (farther down). My only misgiving is that, as usual, the cool base is not very large; at least here it can accommodate two figures, but that is not always enough. Now if Sideshow made available a bunch of these bases by themselves for a low price and if they could be attached together, this would be much, much cooler.

I have never known guys and boys more excited about soppy romantic scenes than about this one...

Here is the left side of the base, with two slots illuminated with white/blue light.

Here is the right side of the base, with a single slot illuminated with white/blue light.

Here is the rear of the base, without any illuminated slots. The power button for the lights in the base is located near the upper left corner of the rear side and made to look like part of the molded detail.

Here is the front of the base with the orange light filter removed to emit white/blue light. The transparent piece of orange plastic slides out from the left, but is a bit hard to get a grip on (I used needle-tip pliers).

Here is Han in carbonite, placed upright on the base. The left and right sides of the slab feature cavities into which you can fit eight control panels. Seven of these attach with weak magnets (which works very well), while the eight is attached to battery compartment with an on/off switch and preinstalled batteries; that is the one that emits a pulsating light and alternating lit notifications; you can fit it only in the slots (on either side) closest to the head. It is easy to remove and replace, yet stays in place quite well. The seven magnetic control panels can fit any of the eight slots. They exhibit several minor variations in design, and you can arrange them as you see fit. I have not yet done the research to see which one was where in the film.

Frontal view of Han in carbonite.

Detail of the above. It is quite close to what we see on screen, if perhaps just a little less detailed.

Right side of the slab (Han's left), with the illuminated control panel (remember, you can also place it on the other side).

Left side of the slab (Han's right), without the illuminated control panel (in this instance).

One of the support stands is designed to fit upright on top of the base. It rotates, so you can have the slab at an angle, but it has to remain perpendicular. This stand has a magnet, that keeps the slab attached to it. The slab is stable enough to stand on its own, but if you live in an earthquake-prone area or have placed the ensemble on a wobbly surface (including wobbly floorboards), you might want to use this stand.

There is also a stand intended to help you pose the slab as if it is hovering horizontally through the air. To do so, you remove the middle two control panels (on either side), and impale the exposed chambers on the two horizontal prongs of the stand. It also rotates, so you can display it at an angle above the base. What you see is not what you would be showing off, just a demonstration of how it fits together.

This is what the horizontal stand is designed for. Note the floor on top of the base has been swapped around to show the Cloud City hallway surface.

Some people just don't want to let go...

Each in his/her own way...

Here is everything you get in the box: slab, base, reversible floor surface to slide onto the top of the base, orange light filter to slide into the front side of the base, seven magnetic control panels, one illuminated control panel with attached battery compartment, and the two stands.

I hope this has been helpful or amusing. Let me know what you think.

·
Graduated from Ninja Tech
3,427 Posts
great break down pics and liked how you placed different figures with the Carbonite.

And I do want this new carbonite, but this 1/6 scale prices keep getting higher and its hard on a tight budget.

thanks for sharing

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,891 Posts
Great break down and review.

I wish 1:6 version of this from FAMILY GUY was made.

;)

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,891 Posts
great break down pics and liked how you placed different figures with the Carbonite.

And I do want this new carbonite, but this 1/6 scale prices keep getting higher and its hard on a tight budget.

thanks for sharing
--

No kidding at this rate, ALL of my 1:6 female figures will have to go out without clothing and all my 1:6 male/military figures will have to go without 1:6 weapons.

What to do?!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks GubernatorFan for taking the time to post this mini review. It will help a lot in my decision to buy this or not. It is a lot of money for a static piece, but as you said it depends on how much you want it I guess. Prices here in the UK are higher once again, but on this one maybe not quite as big a price difference as other figures. I will have to think about this one very carefully I think as it would make a nice addition to my bounty hunter collection to my mind.

Hope the flu clears up and you are feeling better soon mate, and once again thanks for posting this.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
My first thought on seeing this piece still stands 'What the hell happened to his legs!?'. It looks like they broke them so he could fit into the frame. Typical SSC I suppose. What can one do, well, as far as this goes, sod all without major surgery. HT might do one, but when we see the price we'll probably want them to do one! This is definitely open to another third party to put something together, but, depending on who would do it, cost would yet again be a factor. When isn't it though!?

The easiest way would be to make vac formed pieces to make up the parts. Still got to get someone to sculpt up the main man though, but, it could be done.....

CHEERS!

·
Pug Lord
1,122 Posts
What a great shoot! I think nothing was lost because of the variances you mentioned, you still captured the carbonite scene in a great 1/6 way! Can't wait for more adventures from your Star Wars collection!

Great break down and review.

I wish 1:6 version of this from FAMILY GUY was made.

;)

This scene, in the episode, was so unexpected by me, I spewed a mouthful of coffee across the living room.
Surprisingly, my wife found both hysterical.

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off, a couple of additional remarks. I realize the base is intended just for the carbonite slab (really frame, with Han frozen in it), not for a group of action figures, but I still wish that when we get such elaborate pieces such potential is figured out; of course it if were, that would probably have been excuse to raise the cost higher still. I also realized that the Cloud City light pattern, while accurate, is here unnecessarily doubled: it was present only in single bands, unless you count the different (and receded) steps of the stairs.

Great break down pics and liked how you placed different figures with the Carbonite. And I do want this new carbonite, but this 1/6 scale prices keep getting higher and its hard on a tight budget. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you and welcome. And agree (on prices).

--No kidding at this rate, ALL of my 1:6 female figures will have to go out without clothing and all my 1:6 male/military figures will have to go without 1:6 weapons. What to do?!
I think Peter Griffin had the right idea as to what to do to make money (thanks for posting this, by the way, I had not seen it).

These kinds of props are prefect candidates for 3D printing. You could buy your own thousand-dollar printer and only have to sell 4 of them to recover the cost - 5 or 6 if you want to include the cost of rigging up some LEDs.
In principle you are probably right, although what little I have seen from 3D printing has left a lot to be desired in terms of quality, which means you would have to put a lot of work into perfecting it before selling. Also, most 3D printers might not be able to handle single pieces of this size. Still might be a worthwhile investment. I would love to buy fine unlicensed sixth-scale pieces from Star Wars and other themes.

Thanks GubernatorFan for taking the time to post this mini review. It will help a lot in my decision to buy this or not. It is a lot of money for a static piece, but as you said it depends on how much you want it I guess. Prices here in the UK are higher once again, but on this one maybe not quite as big a price difference as other figures. I will have to think about this one very carefully I think as it would make a nice addition to my bounty hunter collection to my mind. Hope the flu clears up and you are feeling better soon mate, and once again thanks for posting this.
You are welcome and thank you!

My first thought on seeing this piece still stands 'What the hell happened to his legs!?'. It looks like they broke them so he could fit into the frame. Typical SSC I suppose. What can one do, well, as far as this goes, sod all without major surgery. HT might do one, but when we see the price we'll probably want them to do one! This is definitely open to another third party to put something together, but, depending on who would do it, cost would yet again be a factor. When isn't it though!? The easiest way would be to make vac formed pieces to make up the parts. Still got to get someone to sculpt up the main man though, but, it could be done..... CHEERS!
I am all for finding a cheaper alternative. As for the legs, unless you are questioning Lucasfilm's choices in the actual films, Sideshow is not at fault. See here:

Ok that came out too small; try the direct link: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...lo-ROTJ.png/revision/latest?cb=20130331010033

Very good pictures!
Thank you very much!

My tentative foray into 3D software was an utter failure so I have never personally ventured into 3D printing, but thanks for the links. I hope some will put them to good use.

What a great shoot! I think nothing was lost because of the variances you mentioned, you still captured the carbonite scene in a great 1/6 way! Can't wait for more adventures from your Star Wars collection!
Thank you very much!

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
I've seen pics of the real thing and the legs on that look correct to me. I still think getting one sculpted and then vac formed would be a good option. It doesn't need to be solid.

CHEERS!

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've seen pics of the real thing and the legs on that look correct to me. I still think getting one sculpted and then vac formed would be a good option. It doesn't need to be solid. CHEERS!
I agree it doesn't need to be solid, provided that the hollow shape does not warp or cave in. I couldn't display the image or link from the film full size for whatever reason, but if you do find it (or something comparable), you would see they got the leg part down perfectly. By the way, I was surprised at how thin the slab is, but I think it is also movie accurate.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Hmm, here's a better look at the original on set and I think the legs are right. I think, from some angles, they look shorter due to the position of the legs and feet. SSC's look too short from any angle.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I don't think the legs are that far out. Here is a pic of the original prop which I saw at the Star Wars Identities exhibition last year. Sorry it is not a great pic as it was taken through glass, and with limited space to frame it well.

Sculpture Statue Artifact Art Darkness

I believe the prop was made using a head cast from Harrison Ford, and a body cast from another actor of similar size to him, so the proportions on the original will be as accurate as possible to the actor without him having to submit to a full body cast.

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with Paul (scalawag). The Return of the Jedi image we have been talking about (and thanks for the larger version, Roger), has a very specific lighting angle, which is different from anything in my review. Anyway, I can't see anything here being specifically off, but maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
The fun that GubernatorFan is having in his pictures (and giving us) is all the reason Sideshow's piece needs to justify its existence. Whether it's worth the money, I couldn't say, I'm enjoying the pics and they're free :) Personally I'll probably just make do with the old Hasbro one which was good for what it was (i.e. cheap). My favorite carbonite rendition, BTW, though sadly not quite 1/6, is still the giant ice cube mold.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
I agree with Paul (scalawag). The Return of the Jedi image we have been talking about (and thanks for the larger version, Roger), has a very specific lighting angle, which is different from anything in my review. Anyway, I can't see anything here being specifically off, but maybe it's just me.
Well, you've seen it in hand and I haven't so there is that I suppose.

CHEERS!

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
.The fun that GubernatorFan is having in his pictures (and giving us) is all the reason Sideshow's piece needs to justify its existence. Whether it's worth the money, I couldn't say, I'm enjoying the pics and they're free :) Personally I'll probably just make do with the old Hasbro one which was good for what it was (i.e. cheap). My favorite carbonite rendition, BTW, though sadly not quite 1/6, is still the giant ice cube mold.
Thanks, Moonbase Alpha Male!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts