One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Blackpool requested more group shots and someone else wanted Vader, so I have uploaded 15 more photos in post #16 of this thread; please scroll down to view them.

Original Post:

The boys are back in town, and this time they are in full strength. With this month's shipment of Zuckuss and Dengar, Sideshow has completed the full set of high-end Empire Strikes Back bounty hunters (in my team, the Boba Fett is actually Hot Toys, and I don't know if and when Sideshow released that character). This is not a full review, just some in-hand photos and impressions.

My Zuckuss arrived yesterday, Dengar today. Both are very well done. Unlike so many Sideshow figures, their ankle articulation is excellent; the details are sharp; the weathering on the weapons is a little less than usual (this is an area where Sideshow generally shines). Zuckuss' eyes are translucent like 4-LOM's, and his fanny pack is attached via velcro; his coat is given a somewhat disturbingly rough but realistic distressed texture. Dengar's turban (soft plastic/rubber) is removable, and his cowl is a separate cloth piece; his backpack ensemble clips on via a magnet. Zuckuss' gun has a faux wooden part, while Dengar's has several articulated pieces; his smaller pistol fits well in the holster, given some patience.

So far I have encountered only one real disappointment: the paint on Dengar's face peels off very easily on my figure (look at his left/camera right cheek in the zoomed-in photo), and you can be certain that I was careful handling it. It should bother me a lot more than it does, but right now I am just telling myself he is not going to be a face model anyway. Much more minor nit: there is a tiny leftover mold imperfection that one might interpret as an alien zit on the back of Zuckuss' head.

Here are about a dozen photos, including four comparisons between these two most recent figures and the previous sixth-scale renditions of the same characters by Hasbro (as Michael Crawford once said, time has not been kind to that older line, although its Zuckuss was relatively decent). Hope you find this useful or enjoyable, and share your impressions.

I hope and expect Michael Crawford will write up a full review (or reviews); meanwhile, the first video reviews have begun appearing on Youtube over the last day or two.

·
My heater's broke...
1,147 Posts
Re: Star Wars Empire Strikes Back Bounty Hunters set completed with Zuckuss & De

My zuckuss arrived yesterday. Dengar today.

It's a nice group. I'm glad I got onboard cuz 4 loom is now going for like $350.

Is it the lighting cuz bossk looks a few shades darker than mine?

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Star Wars Empire Strikes Back Bounty Hunters set completed with Zuckuss & De

My zuckuss arrived yesterday. Dengar today. It's a nice group. I'm glad I got onboard cuz 4 loom is now going for like $350. Is it the lighting cuz bossk looks a few shades darker than mine?
Agreed. I had not planned on getting them all, so I was playing catch-up and trying to find a decent deal on what was already a secondary market (and I even tried out the Medicom 4-LOM in the hope to save money, but realized that he is just too petite: see HERE). I had learned my lesson early enough to pre-order Zuckuss and Dengar. This is the second Bossk produced by Sideshow: apparently in part because there was demand after the first one sold out and in part because this one is (supposedly) more screen-accurate. I do think he is a tad too dark (but then again Lucas did play around with the colors). On the other hand, while he is not necessarily as attractive as their first Bossk, the head is a bit closer to what we see in the movie. The second Bossk does not have the extra pair of feet.
Be careful with the paint on your Dengar's face, unless mine was a one-off problem.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Good for you for sticking out for the whole gang. I got out when I lost hope that SSC would ever get to the whole bounty hunter crew.

FYI, you should be able to pull IG-88's legs out so he's taller than the rest of the group. I believe they made that 'feature' so he'd fit in one of their standard size boxes.

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,540 Posts

Good for you for sticking out for the whole gang. I got out when I lost hope that SSC would ever get to the whole bounty hunter crew.

FYI, you should be able to pull IG-88's legs out so he's taller than the rest of the group. I believe they made that 'feature' so he'd fit in one of their standard size boxes.
Same with the Hasbro one, only took me 5 years and a friend who knows nothing about 1/6 figures to point that out to me!! :doh
Great looking set, love Dengar. Is going to drive you nuts now knowing you have the ROTJ Fett with the ESB team? :wink

·
Registered
309 Posts

This is great as it means mine will be on the way too:woohoo. Mine are preordered from a UK retailer so I hope now they have shipped from SideShow I will get them soon. Dengar is a surprise as I was not expecting him to ship until March.

Sorry to see the paint issue with your Dengar, and I hope it is not a general issue with them. I will let you know how I get on with mine when he arrives. Perhaps if it is just a fault on yours SideShow will do the right thing and replace him for you.

I too have the earlier edition of Bossk, but sadly not the special edition one that came with the extra head, and also IG-88, again not the special edition version which I believe came with a vibro axe to go in the bandolier. He does have the light up base which is nice though, and his legs do extend but the joints on mine were very very stiff at first. I also have a sideshow exclusive Boba Fett, the episode V one, with the light up base which is based on the carbonite freezing chamber scene. I got the 4-lom too when he came out, but like you have been making up the set with Dengar and Zuckuss from Hasbro. I think the Hasbro Zuckuss stands up exceptionally well considering it is really a mass produced toy, and with a little work it still makes a very good rendition of the character.

I shall now be watching for the postman every day until these guys arrive. Thanks for posting the pics.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts

Great to see them all together, now for Vader....

CHEERS!

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

amazing looking!
Thank you!

Good for you for sticking out for the whole gang. I got out when I lost hope that SSC would ever get to the whole bounty hunter crew. FYI, you should be able to pull IG-88's legs out so he's taller than the rest of the group. I believe they made that 'feature' so he'd fit in one of their standard size boxes.
Thank you! Yes, I knew that IG-88's legs should extend. But I forgot about it when taking the photos and also, even if I had remembered it, I would have shrunk back from using it, as the background wasn't large enough (given the perspective) for IG-88's head not to poke above it. I have Sideshow's second IG-88. I am not sure I have checked or succeeded in extending the legs (wouldn't want to break anything, and it was only today that I forced myself to get those super stiff shoulders to rotate) before; one definite difference between this second IG-88 and Sideshow's earlier release is that the new one does not come with the cooler stand.

Same with the Hasbro one, only took me 5 years and a friend who knows nothing about 1/6 figures to point that out to me!! :doh Great looking set, love Dengar. Is going to drive you nuts now knowing you have the ROTJ Fett with the ESB team? :wink
Thank you! No, I don't care that my Boba Fett is ROTJ and the team is ESB. Besides, it is so good, that I cannot justify to myself getting a second one. Even so, can you remind me what is the difference, if any? Yes, I am a surprisingly nonchalant for a stereotypical fanboy (don't even ask me how long it took me to get a Boba Fett in sixth scale, or any scale for that matter).

This is great as it means mine will be on the way too. They are preordered from a UK retailer so I hope now they have shipped I will get them soon. Dengar is a surprise as I was not expecting him to ship until march. I too have the earlier edition of Bossk and also IG-88 (his legs do extend but the joints on mine were very very stiff at first), and a sideshow exclusive Boba Fett. I got the 4-lom too when he came out, but like you have been making up the set with Dengar and Zuckuss from Hasbro. I think the Hasbro Zuckuss stand up exceptionally well considering it is really a mass produced toy, and with a little work it still makes a very good rendition of the character. I shall now be watching for the postman every day until these guys arrive. Thanks for posting the pics.
I was thinking about you, and that you would be encouraged to see both are on the way. You are welcome, and I look forward to your photos when your team is complete too! Thank you for confirming that Sideshow made a Boba Fett too. One thing that Hasbro's Zuckuss conveyed better than this higher-end one, was the relative stoutness of the character and his outfit.

Great to see them all together, now for Vader....CHEERS!
Thanks Roger, but I'm sure you've seen my customized Vader around; most recently he appeared in the Star Wars Christmas Story threads (the last one HERE). I did not throw him into the photos here, because my background was already to small to fit all six bounty hunters in front of it (I unnecessarily decided that I can't go below 72 dpi resolution for the background, so I couldn't make it more than 18x24 inches in size).

·
Registered
309 Posts

Hi Mate, yeah I would have to agree the SideShow Zuckuss does look a shade too thin, but then the appearance of all these characters apart from Boba are so fleeting it is hard to get a good look at them really to be able to tell much about them. There are some great B&W promotional pics of Dengar where he is carrying an MG34 based weapon instead of the on screen MG42 which give some great insights into the detail of the costume.

I have just received an eMail to let me know that mine should be here by the end of the month, so definitely pics when they arrive:woohoo

I believe Sideshow have only done 1 previous versions of Boba Fett, although I could be wrong on that. The one they did is the episode V version that I have, which was part of the "Scum & Villainy" series that they did. They also distributed a Hot Toys episode VI version which has red armlets/wristlets instead of the green ones and a differently coloured jetpack, and included a Sarlac Pit stand. They may also have distributed a Hot Toys episode V Boba but i'm not sure on that at all. I think they are all from a while back now, and from memory I did have to pay a bit of a premium for my one. Here is a pic of mine.

Boba fett Toy Breastplate Helmet Mecha

Attachments

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Paul, your Boba Fett does come with a great base. Mine is definitely the Hot Toys ROTJ version, except it was not the deluxe or exclusive with the Sarlac base, just the regular one with a simpler base. The overall look is much the same, as can be expected from two related high-end outfits.

·
Registered
565 Posts

spectacular line up! more group pics please!

·
Registered
309 Posts

Paul, your Boba Fett does come with a great base. Mine is definitely the Hot Toys ROTJ version, except it was not the deluxe or exclusive with the Sarlac base, just the regular one with a simpler base. The overall look is much the same, as can be expected from two related high-end outfits.
Yeah the differences are very minor. I would be happy with either of the Bobas too, there really is not much to choose between them.

This is one of the surviving episode VI Boba Fett costumes which was on display at the Star Wars Identities exhibition in London last year.

Breastplate Boba fett Helmet Ballistic vest Cuirass

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

spectacular line up! more group pics please!
Thank you and Ok, but it would have to be against a Death Star background, because the Star Destroyer deck background I had is too small for more than 2-3 figures in front of it.

Yeah the differences are very minor. I would be happy with either of the Bobas too, there really is not much to choose between them. This is one of the surviving episode VI Boba Fett costumes which was on display at the Star Wars Identities exhibition in London last year. View attachment 385438
Agreed, they are all good, and all stunningly cool. Speaking of which, thanks for sharing the photo of the surviving costume. I love the look. Part of it might be the modernized, streamlined variation of the Corinthian helmet. :)

·
Warning: Choking Hazard !
1,392 Posts

now that is variety in it's truest form !
They actually looks pretty neat so thanks for sharing GBNF !

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks, apotheosis!
Blackpool requested more group photos and someone else wanted Vader, so here are 15 more... hope you like them. They mostly reproduce seen and unseen parts of the Bounty Hunter scene in ESB, but with a Death Star background (since my Star Destroyer deck background wasn't large enough).

·
11,540 Posts
Just to expand on scalawag's differentiation of the two Fetts, they have different blasters and helmet markings on the Mandalorian helmets, ESB has yellow dashes around the circumference and the ROTJ has red, other stuff too with minor details, the cape, the Wookie braids etc..
Love your background display!! Is that the rather expensive DIY hallway kit with metal and working lights that a guy in Holland sells? I did a thread on it somewhere. Mine are really old! Got my very first custom built Vader in there (around 10 Vaders ago :wink) and my ROTJ Fett, one of my first customs ever also made from scraps and bits of a cheap vinyl KO model kit, The ESB Fett is the Marmit version, my Dengar is pretty darn old too, made him with a different look to capture how he was depicted in the novels after he saved Fett from the Sarlac pit and got married, the gear was a present from Fett... Sorry don't mean to high jack your thread!

LEIA'S GETTING HER HEAD DONE, LITERALLY...:wink

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I love them all. Still waiting for my last 2 to arrive, but they should be here soon.
Thanks, Paul, I am sure you will love them. Just be careful with Dengar's face and remember the costume restricts the articulation on both.

Just to expand on scalawag's differentiation of the two Fetts, they have different blasters and helmet markings on the Mandalorian helmets, ESB has yellow dashes around the circumference and the ROTJ has red, other stuff too with minor details, the cape, the Wookie braids etc..
Love your background display!! Is that the rather expensive DIY hallway kit with metal and working lights that a guy in Holland sells? I did a thread on it somewhere. Mine are really old! Got my very first custom built Vader in there (around 10 Vaders ago :wink) and my ROTJ Fett, one of my first customs ever also made from scraps and bits of a cheap vinyl KO model kit, The ESB Fett is the Marmit version, my Dengar is pretty darn old too, made him with a different look to capture how he was depicted in the novels after he saved Fett from the Sarlac pit and got married, the gear was a present from Fett... Sorry don't mean to high jack your thread!
Thank you, and no problem. Impressive collection of ESB and ROTJ figures, not least because you've put some of them together yourself. Although I can claim no custom building expertise of your caliber, this Vader (as you know from HERE), naval guard ("Death Star trooper"), and naval staffer are all kitbashed, and Alfred is reconstituted (although there's one HT figure you can find for a rather reasonable price new in the box). While I confess I did not remember the differences between the ESB and ROTJ Boba Fetts from the movies, now that I look at it, I guess I do prefer the ROTJ look, but it makes very little difference to me; certainly not enough to consider getting the ESB Boba Fett from HT (or was it Sideshow) that is supposed to be coming out soon. Cool story on Fett and Dengar. And speaking of ROTJ, my wallet and leftover restraint won't let me get into collecting the Jabba characters in sixth scale (although I do have all of them in the "classic" Kenner-Hasbro scale and still resent Hasbro at not doing more -- as it is you can't even fill out the two skiffs). Reading Michael Crawford's review of the sixth scale Jabba, I was disappointed to learn that he was less articulated than the "classic" scale version. Not that Jabba needs to be very articulated, but it's the principle of the thing.

The backgrounds (my 2.0 version) I use are super-inexpensive (if you want them, send me a private message with your e-mail address) -- they are high resolution scans of the GTP twelfth-scale products blown up to sixth scale (and 300 dpi), cleaned up as necessary, and printed in color on non-shiny paper. Compare this thread HERE.

·
11,540 Posts
Cheers for the link! I'll definitely look into that and pm you. I printed high resolution Death Star back drops in A3 (2x A4) and even bought a large laminating machine and guillotine over a year ago with loads of matte clear slips for it but still haven't used it!:doh I love that Peter from Fringe joined the Imperial Navy as a staffer!:wink

Here's more of Jabba's minions, all customs except for the animals:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts