One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I am getting more and more figures out of box as well as custom pieces. I have been using the Cots Y stands, but I am frustrated with them. I am having a tough time doing much with posing them because of the way the stand sits and/or adjusts. I think they are great for everybody standing upright, but sometimes I just want to change it up. What is the best stand out there for posing? I know the most sound way is to just have no stand, but every time my pieces get knocked over and a helmet goes flying or a weapon breaks, I know this aint the way. Help!!!

·
Social Misfit
1,355 Posts
I'm not shure if this works without a base, but with a base, if I want a running pose, I drill a screw through the base and into the foot. After that, I fish some thik (not too thick) wire through the figure and get the right pose.

·
12" nightmare
1,422 Posts
These from BBI work best imo. I was able to pose a figure running, with the torso forward and only one foot touching the ground, because the spine of the base can produce a counterweight, so to speak. Not very discrete though.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That seems to be the most difficult, the being discreet part. I dont really want something that will be the center of attention, but am not sure if I want to get into wiring up the bodies or drilling holes. Just hoping to find a simple way that allows some simple alteration when I want to switch it up.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I've been meaning to do a tutorial about this for awhile and keep forgetting to do it.
I use Magnets to hold my figures up. K&J magnets make some very strong Neodymium magnets. For guys I use four 3/8th x 1/32nd magnets #D601.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10

First I sand some of the detail off the bottom of the boot. I know this sux but who really looks at the heels of the boots anyways. Then I glue two magnets to the bottom of each boot. One on the toe and one on the heel. I have played with cutting the side of the boot open and gluing the magnet in side. This also works, but not as well, Your choice. Then I use either Obitsu metal bases from Junky Spot,
http://www.junkyspot.com/obindex.html

or those thin metal cigar tins as bases. Anything steel or iron will work. Here are a few pix of some of my figs with magnet bases,

Sorry, I'm not the best at posing figs. But you get the idea.
I'm not saying this is the end all to beat all. But it does work. I wouldn't leave a figure standing on one foot six feet off the ground all day. I'm sure at some point it would fall. But I have left figures standing at a charge with no problems. I have had figures fall over using this method. But then I live with a herd or rhinos so I think that is the problem honestly.
One more thing. I wouldn't put figures with these magnets on top of your computer. These magnets are pretty strong ( I've had them jump four inches to get to each other). I don't know how good it would be for your hard drive.
If you have any questions pm me and I'll see if I can help.
Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.