One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's snowing again, so I'll make this quick (Late night dog-duty and a layover).

STALINGRAD (Сталинград) is showing at two theaters in all of Kansas City, and given the weather, I decided to see it while I could (theater person said it's getting a one week run). This is Fedor Bondarchuk's 2013 version, and tells of Soviet scouts who are detailed to seize a building on the banks of the Volga, ahead of a large river crossing operation.

Across the way are the Germans, and in particular, Hauptmann Kahn (Thomas Kretschmann), whose orders are to take the building back. To do so, he must employ replacements, which include all sorts of soldiers, including a kid.

The Russians are a mixed group of soldiers, militia, and a few sailors, as well as a young girl who refuses to leave the building, her home.

The combat scenes would make old Sam Peckinpah smile, some parts are near-elegant ballets of melee. Both sides have their share of tough, deadly, desperate men.

Bondarchuk directed and acted in 9th Company, as well as acting in a 1989 Russian film about the battle. He has a large, detailed, and shattered set, as well as impressive special effects. The dialogue is sparse, but I thought the characters (well, mostly the Russians) were fleshed out satisfactorily, and include a nice variety of roles.
Several of the other actors have had roles in other 'Stalingrad' films, the 1989, and 1993 versions.

The details of weapons and uniforms were better than many recent WW2 films (tho the long-barrelled Pz. MkIVs with 'Schurzen' armor shouldn't have been around at this time, I believe). There are some moments too, where some disbelief must be suspended (there's a certain epic, 'mythical' element in a couple of scenes).

I truly enjoyed this film, and plan on getting the DVD when it surfaces. I even broke my own rule about not going to 3-D films (and this had some surprisingly effective, small effects that were actually enjoyable). This, and the IMAX component, the only version showing, makes for an expensive movie, but worth it, this time. It's got it's critics, but then again, they get paid money to spoil things, piss and moan, and maintain an illusion of superiority to the rest of us....

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Thanks for the review, I wasn't even aware of this movie! Good to know I'm not the only one with a no 3D rule :)

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's got similarities to "Enemy At The Gates", but does go between big story and little story. Also takes license with some of the action. I was most happy when they covered the building fighting and the defenders, which I thought was well done. The Germans' uniforms looked good, and as in the real fight, were pretty grubby. A nice bit centered on a broken down Sturmgeschutz, and both sides making due with what was on hand.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
FYI:

This movie is scheduled for DVD/Blueray release on May 13, 2014.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Thanks for posting info on this movie, I watched parts of it last night and I was pretty impressed, some very graphic scenes that would have been terrifying to live through in real life (don't want to spoil anything for people).

Definitely recommend folks seeing this, the uniforms, equipment etc. are impressive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts