One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I feel as though SS is having trouble translating the comic style to 1/6 scale, lol.

Speaking of Thor, I just happened to see an image of the Hasbro 12" version:
Gesture Toy Art Costume design Armour

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Damn Ssc Thor looks like a guy cosplaying as Thor.. whole thing just feels awkward. Why do Sideshow constantly feel the need to redesign all of their comic figures? They always end up making it more awkward and off looking.

The Hasbro Thor looks so much better. I wish they Ssc had just done that Thor with those comic book proportions and just converted it to real fabric clothing.

·
Registered
854 Posts
aw, man I really wanted this
but crickey 250.00 is just pushing a friendship
250.00 USD !... time for some serious procrastination

Plus honestly he does not look "big" enough for Thor

·
Hi, I'm an addict!
3,470 Posts
I don't think it looks that bad. It does not look like the comic book version, I agree. I mean, I'm not buying it anyway, so what they hey. Also, that Hasbro version, where can I get that? And how much? I want that helmet.

·
Registered
445 Posts
They have to "adapt" the classic comic look b/c Hasbro has master toy license, so they have first dibs on classic look. Therefore, most Marvel licenses that aren't Hasbro are either movie versions or "interpretations".

Someday we'll have a contemporary quality Classic Marvel 1/6 line but every day that passes makes it less likely to have the depth of characters I'd hope to see.

So far I've yet to be impressed by ANY of the SS Marvel figs, and their DC stuff has been awful too. This is no exception.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
They have to "adapt" the classic comic look b/c Hasbro has master toy license, so they have first dibs on classic look. Therefore, most Marvel licenses that aren't Hasbro are either movie versions or "interpretations".

Someday we'll have a contemporary quality Classic Marvel 1/6 line but every day that passes makes it less likely to have the depth of characters I'd hope to see.

So far I've yet to be impressed by ANY of the SS Marvel figs, and their DC stuff has been awful too. This is no exception.
Typically "retail" and "premium collectible" licenses have mutual exceptions in the contract, so I don't think that would be an issue. And I don't think that SSC Thor is really that much more of an interpretation than the Hasbro 12" Thor (which I hope will actually get made -- the many months it took for Deadpool aren't promising).

I think the real issue is that SSC feels compelled to put something extra and artistic on the table, design-wise. And to be fair if they didn't, we'd be complaining that for a SSC kind of money, they should be doing more than Hasbro sculpted figures. I think they've developed a kind of hybrid aesthetic where they try to keep the grandiose or exaggerated overall design feel of comic books but at the same time they use textures which seem physically real and grounded.

I would agree that I'm not overall thrilled with either the DC or the Marvel lines though. It says something that their best figure by far was the very first one (Joker); and arguably their second best was the Dr Doom they showed which has apparently gotten cancelled.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts