One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question, was the splinter pattern smock used in the invasion of crete ? All the pictures on the net show the plain green version, if anyone has any info that would be great

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
I'm no expert on the matter by any means but since it's always good to see a military related question here on OSW, I took a stab at some quick research. I found an old thread from 2009 on the Wehrmacht Awards website where the matter of FJ smocks is discussed. The topic concerned a poll and was more of a matter of what smock readers believe was the most representative of FJs in WW2 but Crete and the splinter smock were discussed. John Hodgin, the author of the book "German Paratroopers in North Africa" says that the splinter smocks were present at Crete in numbers equal to and perhaps more so than the green smocks. I don't know if that's accurate or not but other sites I looked at mentioned the presence of splinter pattern smocks in Crete but in much lower numbers. I don't know if I would consider this definitive proof but I hope it helps. On the WA site you can read the text in the messages but you have to register to see the images. I'm not registered there because it's not really my area of interest but it might be a good place to ask some of your questions if you decide to register.

Here is a link to the book I mentioned. The author is one of the commenters in the forum thread:

https://www.amazon.com/John-E.-Hodgin/e/B0028S2H12/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

And here is the link to the forum thread where Crete and the splinter smocks are discussed. The subject of the Splinter smocks at Crete starts on page 2 with John Hodgin's comments starting on page 3:

Which jump smock best represents the Fallschirmjäger? - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow
Thanks very much, it not only answers my question but also gives me a starting point for more research, thank you very much indeed

·
2,052 Posts
No problem and you're certainly welcome. I'm happy to help if I can.

·
2,052 Posts
Wow
Thanks very much, it not only answers my question but also gives me a starting point for more research, thank you very much indeed
While looking through my Facebook feed I noticed a FB page that might interest you. I also found a picture there that shows an image of a FJ wearing what looks like a splinter pattern smock right after the battle for Heraklion. The FB page is here:

The Battle for Heraklion. Crete 1941 - Home | Facebook

The FJ I'm talking about is on the far left in this image. The following text accompanies the image:

"Paratroopers resting at the town center right after the battle and the seizure of Heraklion. The paratrooper marked with the red circle is seen in various pictures of the 10th Company of FschJgRgt.under Oblt Egger in the area of Heraklion. Also the paratrooper marked with yellow circle can be identified in other pictures. The area is the town center also known as Meintani close to the Lions square."

·
i draw pictures.....
2,045 Posts
splinter "step in" smocks were used in Crete. quite extensively in some sub units. Just don't get the ones that are opened up in the crouch area as those were type 3s and came much later..

peace
miguel

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,929 Posts
O M G !

I can't believe it!

A member asked/posted about of all 1:6 stuff . . . splinter pattern smock!

Since when was the last time such words ever uttered/written in a discussion post here?

Maybe it's sign of possibly better fortunes to come?

I feel like getting out my female beer hall wench costume out with the wig and lederhosen and . . .

EH . . .

UH . . .

I mean my Gestapo outfit. Yeah. My 1:6 Gestapo outfit sets. It's been a while. Yeah.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Dave,

Some good answers here already - I just wanted to add a reference book suggestion if you're interested in Crete:

https://www.amazon.com/Fallschirmjagers-Crete-Jean-Yves-Nasse/dp/2913903371

I own it, I'm fairly certain that there are more photos of Fallschirmjägers wearing the step in splinter camo jump smock in it - but I've not looked at the book in years.

I was once very interested in Crete and I have found the above book to be by far the best photo reference I've found on the subject.

Hope this helps,

Fred

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
O M G !

I can't believe it!

A member asked/posted about of all 1:6 stuff . . . splinter pattern smock!

Since when was the last time such words ever uttered/written in a discussion post here?

Maybe it's sign of possibly better fortunes to come?

I feel like getting out my female beer hall wench costume out with the wig and lederhosen and . . .

EH . . .

UH . . .

I mean my Gestapo outfit. Yeah. My 1:6 Gestapo outfit sets. It's been a while. Yeah.
I don't think your costume is appropriate for this thread, it was a genuine interest not a political thread

·
2,052 Posts
I don't think your costume is appropriate for this thread, it was a genuine interest not a political thread
Dave, I think you took that the wrong way as he wasn't actually criticizing or belittling the nature of the discussion. DFC was just joking about the direction that the forum has gone in since VS took over and so many members left. I don't think he meant anything political by mentioning the costumes (there was actually a joke in there but some might consider it kind of vague) that he did. I could be wrong though as DFC is just a bit "off" ( :) ) and tends to have something of a quirky (yeah, that's the word I'll use) sense of humor. Now it's more common to see figures discussed here that are decidedly more fantasy or fictional based than historical military figures. Many of the diehards that have stuck around have certainly noticed all the female, comic, sci-fi, superhero, etc. figures that now make up most of the discussions around here and his joke was poking fun at that. Those figures have been discussed here for quite awhile and I'm not knocking anyone that's interested in those genres but military figures used to take up the bulk of the discussions here. When so many of the veteran forum members left, they took most of the military discussions with them and many of us consider that kind of sad.

BTW, I can't believe that I just defended DFC! That's a rarity for anyone around here.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,929 Posts
If that's the case then I do apologise sincerely
--

Dave:

My post/reply was in humor and in no way directed at you or your discussion.

My humor falls flat at times.

No apologies needed or warranted at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.