One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was just lookin at this thing on some site and I couldnt help but wonder if it is worth the $38 plus shipping to buy? I mean, it looks like it has some great photos, but arent there enough great photos on this site for free? Just wondering.

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
It is all in what you want out of the publication and you are the best judge of that before you buy it. If all you are looking for are more pictures of custom 1:6th figure bashes, then I would say no, it is not worth 38 bucks plus shipping. OSW Has a lot of great work by some very talented individuals and most (if you PM them) will help you with your figure.

If you are looking for more information on how things are done/made/sculpted/created/etc. then perhaps it is worth the money. It also depends on your skill level in the hobby. If you are fairly adapt at building and making your own equipment, uniforms and weapons, then it will be of very little use to you. If you are also really good at embellishing a figures body to make it more posable then, no the book is of little utility.

However, there is information in the book on 1:1 equipment so you can see how it really looks and is used. There are tutorials and How to's but, they are in Japanese. The book also provides pictorial information (since it is in Japanese) to stimulate your thinking on making figures. There is always a theme with each volume (British is the theme in 3) that makes it a bit interesting. Generally the figures in the magazine are from a host of customizers so you get to look at different styles. As this hobby has developed so has the level of detail, functionality, and quality of the products we used to customize our figures which provides us the capability to bash some truly outstanding figures.

I purchased SpecFigure 1 and 2. Each edition of the book has provided good information and has helped me grow and developed my skills. By the time Book 3 came out I am now much better at bashing and will to take more risk at augmenting or modifying figures so, the information in the book is not as unique but, it is still informative. There is still good-to-know information in the book. However, forums, such as OSW, also provide a path for obtaining information and to get assistance.

I like SpecFigure3 for the quality and detail of the pictures, information on 1:1 equipment and uniforms, and for the bits of information it provides on customizing. However, the is only my opinion. True, it is not of the grand stand nature that Specfigure 1 and 2 was. But, it is still good info. The big question is still what are you hoping the magazine will provide you or how it will help you? If I knew what that question was, I could give you a better answer.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
189 Posts
My japanese is pretty weak these days. So, is it all military figures or a mix?
Its good. And 3 is focused on the US Marines, with bashes from the WWII to present (like around 15-20 or so bashes). A few Seal bashes, a couple side ones, a Sci-Fi Cool Girl, then some pics & info of 1:1 Marine equipments. In between has a small section of teaching you do weathering, minor body mods, sewing pouches. Its a fun book to browse through and get inspiration on bashes, looking at how others make theirs and mod their guns. Not info overload, but very nice pics and good enough info for the Marines theme.

Worth buying, even if its a little pricey.

·
Divine Intervention!
3,026 Posts
STALL STUFF said:
There is always a theme with each volume (British is the theme in 3)
British is on Spec2. Spec3's theme is on US forces.
I bought the book (or Mook they call) nonetheless simply because you don't get a book published which is dedicated to 1:6 often. So when one comes around, there is no question asked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.