One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to everyone!

I present to you a young Spanish soldier of the war of 1898, developed in the last Spanish territories overseas.

As we all know, in 1898 the war between Spain and the United States broke out, a conflict that will unfold in Cuba, Puerto Rico, the Philippines and Guam, and one of the memorable episodes takes place in the Philippines, in Baler.
For almost a year, a small Spanish detachment resisted in a church the onslaught of the enemy waiting for reinforcements that never arrived.

Ragged, sick, and weak for not having anything to put in their mouths. Although also brave and determined to give every last drop of blood for their country.
This was how the only 57 soldiers in Baler (200 kilometers from Manila) defended in 1898 the last Spanish territory located in the Philippines: a small church where they waited for almost a year for the arrival of reinforcements that never arrived.
In the 337 days of resistance, these soldiers never admitted the defeat of the metropolis.
However, they ended up leaving the place after receiving news of the definitive withdrawal of Spain from the colony. Therefore, they were known in history as the last of the Philippines.

The rest of the story, for those who want to delve more about it, you can check here:

Siege of Baler - Wikipedia

Baler no se rinde, asi defendieron 57 militares el ultimo territorio espanol en Filipinas

And if you like the historical novel, I recommend "Los Olvidados de Filipinas" by Lorenzo Mediano, where it gives a novelized form to the real history of his grandfather who fought and was taken prisoner in the Philippines and would not return to Spain until a year after the Heroes of Baler:

Los olvidados de Filipinas - 6a edicion: Amazon.es: Lorenzo Mediano: Libros

As for the figure, could be framed both in Cuba and in the Philippines, although in the final part of the conflict the uniform varied slightly, as well as the straps, although it seems that both could coexist for a while. That is why I do not rule him out as a soldier in the Philippines and that is why the canteen he carries (cane) is characteristic of the Philippines.

I want to thank in a special way several colleagues who helped me a lot, and without their help this figure would not have been possible: to Enropa and Vicente PR (for the Mauser model 1893, to Miguel66 (for the uniform of Rayadillo) to Juanma (for painting) the Hs) and Old Traveler (for the hat and belts and cartridge belts).

I hope you like it.

Greetings to all!!

Umbrella Plant Hat Dress Art

Toy Hat Sun hat Plant Fedora

Plant Toy Hat Sun hat Sunglasses

Toy Hat Sleeve Wood Art

Hat Toy Plant Sun hat Fedora

Toy Plant Statue Lawn ornament Sculpture

Outerwear Toy Umbrella Hat Plant

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
An outstanding piece of historical recreation, and a great looking figure as well.These are getting very rare here, and it's really good to see one.
Thank you very much Tony!! I am glad you like it and I also hope to see more historical figures here.

Outstanding work. I greatly appreciate not only the fine workmanship, but also the research behind it.
Thank you SSgtUSMC!! I am happy you like it too!!

They had terrible Communications, and thus were cut off from the News that Spain had surrendered. I have the Movie that depicts what happened. Nice figure.
Yes Desperado, you are right, they were cut off communicatios. And every time the Philippines asked them to surrender they rejected it thinking that the news of the loss of the war was false.

And yes, I've also seen the last film a couple of years ago, although the truth is that I was a little disappointed, because in some aspects (details of the webbing, weapons ...) was not very accurate. And also, they draw Lieutenant Martin Cerezo and his sergeant as real psychopaths attributing to them invented actions (like the murder of the prostitute ...), I suppose to give drama to the plot.

Interesting figure, well done!
Thanks a lot petemit!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fantastic work, you’ve definitely done your research and it shows. The Spanish American war is where I am focusing all my attention these days. I’m still gathering bits for US figures and have only barely started on the Spanish figures. I’ll be sending you a PM to get some information on your supply contacts. Again great figure.

Scott

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome work, Joseka!

Bravo!

Fred
Thank you Fred!!!

Fantastic work, you've definitely done your research and it shows. The Spanish American war is where I am focusing all my attention these days. I'm still gathering bits for US figures and have only barely started on the Spanish figures. I'll be sending you a PM to get some information on your supply contacts. Again great figure.

Scott
Thank you very much panzeriv!! I have sent you a PM. I hope see your figures soon!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts