One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
HOME OF FINE 1/6 CUSTOMS
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:

In keeping with my theme of African-Americans in the war, here is my Spanish-American War Infantry soldier.

Still a work in progress. I still need to give him rank insignias. Also, thinking of giving him a bandana.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to Skiman's Workshop for the amazing headsculpt paint job.

For more pics, please check out my Punch Customs Facebook Page.

Eric

·
HOME OF FINE 1/6 CUSTOMS
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a very imposing figure, great work!
Thanks.

Wow Eric. Great looking custom. Very cool bit of history.
Thanks. I'll be honest, the SAW is very new to me. I think one of the things that drew me to it was the combination on military and cowboy look. Two of my favorite things :)

Eric

·
HOME OF FINE 1/6 CUSTOMS
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can someone confirm the color of the chevrons for a Spanish-American War Infantry corporal? I believe they are white with a black background/border, but I'm not really sure.

Does anyone here know for sure?

Thanks.
Eric

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yes Eric, the corps color for Infantry was now white. The chevrons were white with a black chain-stitched border and lines separating the stripes. A corporal would have 1/2" wide trouser stripes, also in white. (In my 71st NY corporal, he has dark blue trouser stripes, but that was peculiar to the 71st, a Volunteer Regiment.)
He is looking great. I'll double check my sources, but I believe his leggings should be shorter for Infantry. I Just folded mine under at the top.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
"As is", he would be close. Obviously, he would need a Krag carbine instead of the rifle. American cavalry in Cuba was almost totally dismounted, but the regulars - including the 9th & 10th - would still be armed with revolvers. That would require a .38 Colt with the 1892 holster, and the Mills belt would have provisions for revolver ammunition. Here's a link to my 10th Cavalry Trumpeter:
http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-discussion/633363-10th-us-cavalry-trumpeter-cuba-1898-pics-added-04-05-a.html

·
HOME OF FINE 1/6 CUSTOMS
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so as not to re-dress him, if I make him a private can I leave him dressed as is and just adjsut his leggins? Are the chevrons they same size as the Civil War chevrons?

Eric

·
HOME OF FINE 1/6 CUSTOMS
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Extremely good looking project, Eric.

Here's a 1898 picture of black infantry, it will give you an idea of the proper height of the leggings and size of NCO chevrons (from front to back of the arm):

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the pic. The chevrons appear to be a bit longer than the civil war version, yes? They seem to wrap around the arm a bit more. Is that correct?

Thanks.
Eric

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Eric, You're right, the shape of the 1872 chevrons were different from the 1851, as well as the stitching seperating the stripes. These are the best illiustrations I have available at the moment. If you need actual photos, that can be arranged.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts