One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Web Research Junkie
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK troops as promised here are a few pics of my apparently rare South African Assualt vest and a popular one as well. As I have stated previously I picked this up a few years ago and di not know exactly what I had untill just 2 months ago. I simply thought it was unique and wanted it in my collection. Loand behold I am at Barnes and Noble one fine afternoon and whilst enjoying my copy of Combat and Survival magazine I stumble across an article on SADF Assault vest's. Well there was my vest and suddenly I knew what it was or with the help of the article had a much better understanding of what it could be. The article states that that the authors have researched this and have connected it to a a very secret and specialized unit that existed in the SADF from around 1975 -1992. the unit was known as 32 batallion as well as some other names such as South African Foriegn Legion, The Terrifying Ones Combat Group Bravo and even the Buffalo Soldiers from their unit patch consisting of the head and horns of an African Buffalo. 32 Bat was formed by Col Jan Breytenbach who was the founder of the SA Recce Commandos as well.
OK enough talk here are the pics of said vest in question
Front of vest showing 4 mag pouches with velcro closure ( hold 8 mags all together) 2 upper chest pouches for grenades or medical patches there is also a d ring above the upper left chest pouch.

Back of vest showing 2 side pouches for water bottles mess tins or extra gear with strap and buckle fastener. a large zippered pouch in center with 2 tube type pouches most likely for parachute flare tubes or possibly rifle grenades.the center pouch is about the same size as a US butt pack. Above the side pouches a strap and buckle assembly for fit adjustment.

last we have apic of the inside of the vest showing an internal pocket with velcro closure on the inside left

Ok now just for comparison I am also showing pics of a very common SADF assualt vest that most have seen or possibly have a copy of in your favorite camo pattern as everyone seems to make them now. This is the SADF Pattern 83 assault vest.

Front

Back

Pic of little known inside pouch with velcro closure and open area behind it to slide items into

Well that is it for today troops. I hope you enjoy

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Great gear you have! I have an SADF assualt vest which I wore to death, great piece of kit that, light weight, tough as nails and comfy as all hell.
As for that green/black one!? never seen that before but it does look like a fast mover piece.

·
Registered
545 Posts
32 Bn Camo & Rhodie stuff

32 Bn summer (green) & winter (brown) camo

32 Bn winter camo uniform

32 Bn camo Sth African printed Rhodie camo T-shirt

Rhodesian assault webbing & camo jumpsuit

Hope somebody finds some kit-bashing inspiration from these and the other contributed pics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts