One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you guys buy the OD colored gaffers tape thats so often used to secure equipment on webbing, etc, etc.

I've been using black electrical tape cut to scale, but its a half-assed solution!

My Hot Toys Seal (one of them, the two Nam guys they released) came with a strip of tape that I've tried to make last..but now I need more :)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, its Military 100mph tape I think...I just always think Gaffers tape, thanks to the flat OD color (GT is usually black) and the way it feels :) "Oh, thats gaffers tape". <shrug> :)

I found a few tape places online that sell the military 100mph tape in OD and black, I can just get some of that!

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
High Risk (1981) is a movie that features Duct Tape/Gaffers Tape/100 MPH Tape in all it's beautimous versatility (and it has parachuting). Then again there's those who believe it should be called Duck Tape....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hey HeadRusch,

As simple as it sounds, try any army-navy surplus stores in your area, i.e. Ranger Surplus.

As a Plan B, I picked up a massive roll of OD 100 mph tape at a place called "Little G.I. Joes Inc." down near Virginia Beach, VA (I went to the Yorktown store: 757/867-8406). I think they also have a web site.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Jack

·
(a.k.a. Allen)
1,219 Posts
Gaffers tape and duct tape are definitely different things. The gaffers tape I have is matte and textured whereas the duct tape tends to be somewhat glossy and slick. Gaff-tape also leaves less residue when it is removed. It's good stuff, but also much more expensive than regular old duct tape. I think it's even more expensive than 100mph tape.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think when most people think "Duct Tape" they think of the grey, shiney fiberous stuff that leaves a ton of goop on everything and usually winds up not sticking to anything after 10 minutes :)

Gaffers tape is a matte finish, and tears much cleaner with a different adhesive.

I've never examined 100MPH Tape, so I assume its basically the same type of tape as Gaffers Tape. Gaffers Tape is designed with a matte finish so it absorbs, and does not reflect, light that hits it.

Thanks for the sources on the 100MPH stuff, I'll check it out!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion of adhesive bindings :)

·
(a.k.a. Allen)
1,219 Posts
HeadRusch1 said:
I think when most people think "Duct Tape" they think of the grey, shiney fiberous stuff that leaves a ton of goop on everything and usually winds up not sticking to anything after 10 minutes :)

Gaffers tape is a matte finish, and tears much cleaner with a different adhesive.

I've never examined 100MPH Tape, so I assume its basically the same type of tape as Gaffers Tape. Gaffers Tape is designed with a matte finish so it absorbs, and does not reflect, light that hits it.

Thanks for the sources on the 100MPH stuff, I'll check it out!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion of adhesive bindings :)
haha... Yeah, now all we need is a chemist who specializes in adhesives to post here and blow us all away.

As best I can tell, 100mph tape is kind of a bastard child between duct and gaff tape. It sticks better than duct tape, but leaves more residue than gaff tape, ...the backing is matte like gaffers tape, but it is not as textured.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
In the ancient times of my yootness, I worked for a heating and cooling outfit. Back then, duct tape wasn't nasty as you've described. It's adhesive qualities were clean like gaffers tape, tho the silver finish was shinier. Contemporary duct tape suffers from "cheap-ass" syndrome.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.