One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Music City Bacon
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.. I have always hated that when I come into my hobby room I find figures that just couldn't take it anymore and had leapt from the shelves... or just slumped into the guy in front of him... there are always the stands that support a figure.. but they kill the realism of a display.. or you do the old, run a stiff wire up the pant leg trick... but that limits poses... so I had a idea the other day and ran with it... and I have found a great solution.. requires minor model skills but it is worth it.... I found the website kjmagnetics a while back when i wanted teenie tiny magnets to replace snaps on scale holsters.. (like sideshow used on bespin luke's holster.... so I bought larger magnets like these below..

Drilled out a hole in the bottom of Indy'd boot sole like this and inserted the magnet then used a heavy glue ( gorilla glue) that would ensure the magnet would not just pop out

Did the same on the base of the figure display like so:

And once all was dry I could set up Indy on his new base and he stands tight... you cannot do really dramatic leaning out poses, as the magnet will not hold the figure at a exaggerated angle... but as you can see here it can hold minor off balance poses... mainly this knocks out the chance of a figure just tipping over while on display....

·
I got you "covered" ! (OSW Staff)
5,758 Posts
LOOKS GREAT. I've done the same thing using plastic threaded inserts and a threaded rod. It doesn't solve the "BENDS"...tho.

·
"Load clear!"
206 Posts
Dang that is a great idea! I also like the threaded rod idea as well. I had used the interlocking plastic joints from the bases but it killed the realism of the dio. This gives me some ideas to go on. Thank you!

·
GETCHA PULL!!!
809 Posts
Wow, Mike. Friggin' sharp! For some reason my figures don't shelf dive, but this is an outstanding idea!

LOOKS GREAT. I've done the same thing using plastic threaded inserts and a threaded rod. It doesn't solve the "BENDS"...tho.
Could solve that by stripping about 3 pounds of gear off some of them bad boys;)

·
KUSA Kustomizer
2,262 Posts
This is a GREAT idea for regular 1:6 scale figures...

BUT the problem with this method - as Clay mentioned - is it doesn't stop the "bends" and ALL of my sci-fi KUSA bashes are so damn top heavy, there's no WAY they will stand on their own w/o some sort of upper-body support. I use use doll stands, but they're not that bad because the base keeps the figures upright and most of the stand is hidden by the armor or chainmail skirts...

Great idea for regularly clothed 1:6 scale figs though. I've been using magnets in my bashes for articulation points and interchangeable accessories/weapons/parts for years...surprised more customizers don't use them more often...

·
How did I get into this?
296 Posts
Thanks for the tip!

And if anyone was wondering where they can get those tiny magnets right away, try your neighbourhood crafts store. I saw a variety of them at Michaels.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Oh Gee what a great idea. Wish I had thought of it like over a year ago. I've used this idea with Cy girls, Male figures, Predators, ZMDC armor, and even posted a picture of using one to hold a flashlight on a rifle.
Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.