One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often come up with backstories or details about figures. For this shoot, which I called "Solitude," it started with the idea that Cy Girl Aurora in the snow would look like she was on some desolate planet somewhere. Then I asked, "What's she doing there?" and spent way, way more time than I probably should have coming up with the why. If nothing else, I'm more happy with the photos than the prose.

As always, you can click any photo for larger versions. All the photos from the set are here, but you can check the "Solitude" set page if you really want.

PLANET KREUTZNAER
Personal Log - Gorliczek, Cynthia (MAJ)
Medical Officer - TSS Aurora
28-APR-2309 (Terran Reckoning)
"DAY 605: The charting of the subterranean caverns beneath the ship is now complete. The caverns are extensive, and I have discovered several excellent sites for additional geothermal probes. My energy needs are already well met, but perhaps the extra energy can be used to boost my radio signals.

I discovered no other higher forms of life beyond the lichen-like organisms that I have been using as raw biomatter. I am not sure if I am happy or disappointed by the absence of any other life on this planet, since it means I am truly alone here."

"I still have not taken more than the briefest of journeys on Kreutznaer's surface, and dare not stray far from the wreck. A repeat of the incident 3 months ago would surely be lethal. My suit is also beginning to wear out, even from just the brief trips out I have taken. I hope there is a manual in the electronic library that will help me repair or replace it with the other intact suits left on board the ship. Despite the erratic solar cycle and the persistent bad weather, I think I would go truly mad if I could not see the sun once in a while."

"I must not give in to despair.

I am somewhat ashamed of the diary entries made several months ago, and even though I know the depression I suffered was normal and understandable, it is also something I must not give in to. Despondency is a luxury I cannot afford. There are many ways that this planet can kill me without my assistance. It would be senseless to give it any more."

"I do not know when, or even if, rescue will come. Without a functioning hyperspace conduit transmitter, the first distress calls I made are still several months away from reaching the outer colonies, assuming my astronavigation is accurate. Even if my distress call is detected, I am not sure a rescue mission will be sent to uncharted space for one person. Were our positions reversed, I would almost certainly be arguing against one myself.

But I must struggle on, even if my fate is to die alone here on this world and join my beloved's spirit on this world in the afterlife. If that comes to pass, perhaps we can make this world the home we had hoped for when we embarked on our journey."

EPILOGUE: On 07-Jun-2310, a B'bibl'ibi probe picked up Dr. Gorliczek's distress signals and relayed them back to civilized space. A rescue mission was dispatched and Dr. Gorliczek was retrieved on 19-Aug-2310, alive and in good physical health considering the lengthy ordeal she had been through.

Excerpts from her scrupulously kept diary were published and became an instant best-seller, ensuring Dr. Gorliczek's financial well-being for the rest of her life. Still, she surprised many when she opted to return to the planet Kreutznaer in late 2315. Although her living arrangements were more durable and she had the benefits of regular supply drops and a personal launch vehicle, she rarely left the planet and lived a quiet, spartan, and largely solitary life.

After her passing at the age of 84, a survey team deemed the planet Kreutznaer unsuitable for colonization or exploitation. It remains uninhabited to this day.

Just so you can see the "set" and how much digital manipulation I needed to clean up the background. The figure is a stock Takara/BBi Aurora Cy Girl.

The planet Kreutznaer takes its name from Robinson Crusoe's real name in Daniel Defoe's novel. "Cynthia Gorliczek" encrypts BBi's brand name for Takara's Cool Girls.

The preceeding is a work of fiction. Aurora is fine after her brief adventure in the snow, standing safely back on my office bookshelf. She is wondering if I'm going to fix or replace her suit, though.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,918 Posts
I feel in some ways Aurora was an under appreciated CY GIRL compared to some of her more prolific & popular CY GIRL sisters after the fact.

Well done photography & story line wise.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Man, that looks like you had some fun.

Very cool photos (temp and composure).

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I've always loved Aurora herself to bits. Some of those pictures in a natural setting and lighting, meant to suggest a distant planet, are awesome. I imagine it would have been tough to do because of how finicky snow gets about being disturbed, and how weird sunset lighting can be to photograph; but boy you got some great pictures out of it.

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, everyone! This was a really fun shoot to do.

OH... That outfit would suck in the cold... But would love to be there to appreciate it:) Geat Job!
Funny thing: there's a scientist at MIT named Dr. Dava Newman who has been working on something she calls a BioSuit that is a "second skin" style spacesuit, meant to give more flexibility and mobility in space or on other planets. I've known about her work for a few years, but she just gave a talk at TED Women that got a nice bit of coverage. You can also see her talking about and modeling the 4th generation BioSuit in this YouTube video:

So it turns out that Aurora there (and all those 50's/60's cheesy sci-fi movies and pulp mag art) was more forward-thinking than we thought. I could totally believe that they could get a BioSuit down to that level of thinness eventually. And as a side note, if the BioSuit means that we could colonize space with people in skin-tight space suits, I don't know why we aren't throwing money at NASA wholesale specifically to make that happen :).

Unfortunately, Aurora's suit is beginning to disintegrate in real life, which is why I worked that bit into her diary entries.

I've always loved Aurora herself to bits. Some of those pictures in a natural setting and lighting, meant to suggest a distant planet, are awesome. I imagine it would have been tough to do because of how finicky snow gets about being disturbed, and how weird sunset lighting can be to photograph; but boy you got some great pictures out of it.
Yeah, Aurora is probably still one of my favorite 1/6 figures in my collection, even after all these years. And you ain't kidding about working in snow and sunset lighting. These shots weren't what I had in mind when I started, though I'm still pretty happy with what I got.

(Un)fortunately, I might get another chance with new snow very, very soon...

(And, for giggles, you can see an entirely different use of Aurora's outfit, or at least her life support gear and headsculpt, in a photoset I called "Tan Lines on Procyon IV Really Suck.")

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
(And, for giggles, you can see an entirely different use of Aurora's outfit, or at least her life support gear and headsculpt, in a photoset I called "Tan Lines on Procyon IV Really Suck.")
Thanks, I enjoyed that Tan Lines set of yours also.

For giggles right back at you, check this out. Hopefully anyone who is a fan of Aurora may find this funny. I think there's a good chance this is actually derived from, or a knock-off of Aurora (and the dates are about right for that). For a cheap flea-market knock-off, Tanya got around - I saw her once in a flea market in rural Italy, and eventually I found and bought one in Toronto, still with the Italian packaging.

Now Aurora was a kick-a-s empowered woman - while on the other hand, you couldn't exactly call poor Tanya a feminist icon. She's pushing a pram with little baby robots in it. And don't ask me why there are baby robots, or why they are in outer space and they need a pram.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts